Blog (A5E) Encounter Building Preview

Level Up GMs will find themselves referring to this table frequently. Along with new monster math and CR values, we have a robust encounter building system (in which you can combine both monsters and exploration challenges). Kickstarter launches October 5th. https://www.levelup5e.com

Level Up GMs will find themselves referring to this table frequently. Along with new monster math and CR values, we have a robust encounter building system (in which you can combine both monsters and exploration challenges). Kickstarter launches October 5th.

encounters.png

dave2008

Legend
You're not seeing the effects of elite and legendary monster types there. There's more than just the table. Plus that Max CR row is important.
I assumed as much, unfortunately I can only comment on what I can see. Though what I am really curious about is how the guidelines compensate for Group (PC) make-up, not monster CR or type (Elite/legendary).

In O5e it is possible to have the same encounter be difficult for one group and easy for another. I would really like to see some simple DM advice on how to adjust encounters to fit a particular group of players. Obviously somewhat abstract, but just even something simple like:

If you find that "hard" encounters as determined by these guidelines tend to be "deadly" for your group, then when you create encounters based on these guidelines, adjust the difficult up by one step."

Something that simple is helpful.

Gandalf970

Explorer
This is pure gold! I like a few other's on this thread were already sold. You just keep making me buy more copies. Now I will have to back this like four times for my entire group. This will probably be the most money I ever spend on a kickstarter.

Remove ads

Remove ads