• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Encounter Design - Single High Level Enemies

Goblyns Hoard

First Post
I’m putting together my next game and I’d like some advice from those of you that have run more than my current two games of 4E. I’m curious as to how well the encounter creation calculator works when you start pitting parties against higher level foes.

The idea is that the characters are on the run from their old boss, who is sending out bounty hunters to bring them back. This will be only the second game, and the party is on the verge of hitting 2nd level (so may do so before this encounter). My plan is for the first bounty hunter that finds them to try and take them out individually, rather than fronting up against all of them. His intention is to capture them and take them back to the old boss. So I thought having an enemy that one on one is likely to seriously overpower each character, but when they’re all together and have the opportunity to escape will merely give them a good fight. If I have the chance to allow him to escape and become an ongoing nemesis as well I might take it.

So I was thinking someone of about 6th or 7th level. According to the encounter design guidelines that gives an XP value firmly in the easy range for a party of 4 1st level characters, but I would expect able to give them some serious trouble if each of them has to take it on solo. I’d probably also go with a lurker for the ambush style of combat. But from what I’ve seen most of the sample encounters in the books are geared toward encounters of more creatures generally closer to the current party level, and I’m not sure how it balances when you step away from that model.

So what is your experience of throwing your parties up against single foes of significantly higher level? Do the XP guidelines still work, or do I need to fudge them up/down a bit when dealing with big gaps in level. According to the guidelines a single Dark Stalker (level 10 lurker, 500XP) should be ‘standard difficulty’ for a party of five 1st level characters. This is a creature that can fairly consistently move without OAs (Invisibility as minor with recharge on 3-6 or Dark Fog as minor), will pretty much have combat advantage whenever it wants (Dark Step as move at will) and with a +15 (+17 with CA) to hit is almost guaranteed to do on average 16.5 (1d8+5+2d6 for combat advantage) per round against first level ACs. Its defences also a challenge (though by no means impossible) for low level heroes to be hitting. Based on the sample characters in KOTS no character lasts two rounds without spending a surge, and even with a surge, only the defenders can make a third round. And if the stalker targets the leader first then anyone that spends a surge (except dwarves) isn’t doing damage so is just prolonging the inevitable. So the party has seven rounds to take it down – do they have the capacity to deal out 81 HP of damage in that time – undoubtedly if they all hit with their dailies – but how quickly are they going to know that dailies are required? Are they all going to hit? And how many of them will have gone down by the time they realise. I’m not convinced that this should be classified as a ‘standard’ difficulty encounter.

That said I might be wrong and if any of you have any experience of actually running this sort of encounter I’d appreciate your advice and insight. We’ve just started this new campaign, and I don’t want to start it with a slaughter if I can avoid it, but also want it to be a challenge rather than a push over. I should point out the Dark Stalker encounter above is not the one I’m proposing, I just want to get a feel for how well the encounter calculator works with big gaps in level.

Cheers
The Hoard

erf_beto

First Post
According to the guidelines a single Dark Stalker (level 10 lurker, 500XP) should be ‘standard difficulty’ for a party of five 1st level characters.
No, it's not! A 10th level monster could easily wipe a 1st level party, nevermind the XP values. Why? Higher level monsters have much higher defenses making them impossible to hit while at the same time hitting the party without much difficulty, no matter their defenses (and dealing a lot more damage). Therefore, an innapropriate challenge for a 1st level party.

The DMG advises against using monsters 4-5 levels above the party level. (I guess you shouldn't even use the Encounter Calculator for challenges like that) If you want the 'staying power' of high hp, you could consider using elites or solos of 'not so high' level: they can be hit (due to lower defenses) but will last long enough (due to high HP) and won't kill a PC in one hit. Take a look at the younger dragons to get a feel of it.

Also, consider the monster roles: you seem to be gearing towards a lurker, wich is squishy (low Defenses and HP), so it's possible for 1st level party to hit it. The same wouldn't hold true if it was a Soldier (with high defenses and good HP). Also, beware of higher level brutes: they are easier to hit than other monsters of its level, but might last too long (high HP) and do insane damage!

Hope this helps. Good luck :)

scarik

First Post
I think you said exactly what you wanted.

A SINGLE monster that can defeat any member of the party INDIVIDUALLY but can be defeated by the group.

You want a Solo Lurker. Probably level +1 or 2.

Or you can tone him down to Elite and have him harry them throughout several encounters.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Surely the obvious choice here is to use a level 2 - 3 Solo?

Take a Lurker creature, and apply the Rogue template, and then a further template and voila! You have your nasty sneaker with a lot of hp, action points, and so forth.

Sending out a regular 10th level sneaker is just going to be an exercise in frustration. The whole point of Solo monsters is to challenge a party without making it impossible for them to hit it.

Avoid level differences that are too high, they will become frustrating and might in fact no longer work as "advertised".

Consider using an Elite or Solo Creature of a slightly higher level. If the PCs advance "closer" to the bounty hunter, consider mixing him with allies (or at least a second group of enemies - maybe he launches his attacks while the PCs are under attack by a third party, or a third party is interested in catching the PCs, too, and interfere with the bounty hunter plans) to make the challenge high enough again.

Tallarns suggestion of using a template on an existing Lurker monster isn't bad, though I might prefer Ranger over Rogue.

Stoat

Adventurer
I'm curious at how great a difference in level you can use and still have an enjoyable game. I know the recommendation is nothing more than 4-5 levels higher than the PC's, but how has that worked in actual play for folks?

Frex, I was surprised at the level of the monsters in Rescue at Rivenroar. Almost none were 1st level, most seemed to be in the 2nd-4th level range.

What experiences have y'all had?

buzz

Adventurer
The DDI generator says:

Easy: [Party level] - 1 to 2
Standard: [Party level] to [Party level] +1
Hard: [Party level] + 2 to 3

In the 10th-level one-shot I ran this weekend, I had some 15th level foes, and it was brutal, even though the XP math was legit. The issue seemed mostly the difference in hit points: the party could do a decent (but no great) job of hitting, but whittling down the hp took forever. Even monsters of the same level as the party will, individually, have lots more hit points than a single PC.

Ergo, I'd side with DDI. Keep foes within +/- 2 levels of the party, and use templates, Elites, and Solos to vary difficulty within that range.

Stalker0

Legend
I would go with a level 2 elite or solo. If its a lurker I would go with elite, because they can pick their terrain conditions more easily and attack the party member when he's weakest.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Our group has fought lone monsters as high as Party Level + 7 + Elite. We have 3 strikers and pretty tight tactics, but even so that was a tough fight (since we needed 17+ or so to hit AC, 15+ or so to hit other defenses - before bonuses such as CA).

It is doable, though level +6 or higher soldiers will be a headache, especially for the vs. AC crowd. Our 4th level party of 4 fought half-a-dozen bandits and a Bullette and the last 7 of the 11 rounds it took to kill the thing was frustrating/boring at-will spam-and-miss for the most part and its damage output was so low we never really felt in danger...

I'd say the level +1-2 solo like others have posted is probably what you're looking for. If you want it to be longer before your players kill him, maybe go level +3-5 elite or level+6-8 regular. If you go that route, I'd recommend having him dramatically leave for some reason or you might need to help the PCs realize they are outclassed and need to run, otherwise the PCs might end up fighting to their deaths.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads