D&D 5E Ending geas

Snoring Rock

Explorer
Ok so dispell magic will end geas. You would need to overcome a check with D.C. 10+2 however. Here is my question: can you cast dispell magic on yourself to end a geas spell cast on you?

Last edited:

Croesus

Adventurer
Geas doesn't prevent the target from acting against the geas, it just says "each time the target acts in a manner directly counter to the geas", the target takes 5d10 psychic damage. It takes such damage only once per day. I would rule that attempting to remove the geas qualifies, so the target would take the damage, whether or not it successfully removed the geas.

One note - geas lists four specific actions that can remove it prior to completion: 1) the caster cancels the spell early, 2) a remove curse, greater restoration, or wish spell. Dispel magic is not listed, so dispel magic shouldn't work. Others may interpret it differently.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
One note - geas lists four specific actions that can remove it prior to completion: 1) the caster cancels the spell early, 2) a remove curse, greater restoration, or wish spell. Dispel magic is not listed, so dispel magic shouldn't work. Others may interpret it differently.

The reason I would interpret it differently is because dispel magic didn't need to be listed, getting rid of effects like geas is the kind of thing dispel magic does. Meanwhile remove curse, greater restoration, and wish have descriptions that do not already explicitly include the ability to remove such spell effects.

jgsugden

Legend
As Geas does not say that ONLY those methods can end a Geas, any normal process that ends spells, such as Dispel Magic, will still work. Those methods of ending Geas are in addition to Dispel Magic.

Note that if you cast it as a 9th level spell, by RAW, the Geas ends if dismissed by remove curse, greater restoration or wish. While a Dispel Magic would still work on it, it does not end if you give them a suicidal command (that is not going to end in *certain* death). You can geas them to do something that will result in probable death. However, all that does is 5d10 per day.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
As Geas does not say that ONLY those methods can end a Geas, any normal process that ends spells, such as Dispel Magic, will still work. Those methods of ending Geas are in addition to Dispel Magic.

Note that if you cast it as a 9th level spell, by RAW, the Geas ends if dismissed by remove curse, greater restoration or wish. While a Dispel Magic would still work on it, it does not end if you give them a suicidal command (that is not going to end in *certain* death). You can geas them to do something that will result in probable death. However, all that does is 5d10 per day.

Just to back this up, the Sage agrees
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/01/26/geas-vs-dispel-magic/

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I see both sides of this. Anyone out there have an opinion or further insight?

Dispel Magic only works because of the At Higher Levels section that indicates that the only way to end it if cast in a 9th level slot is one of the methods in the spell description. This means that other ways, like Dispel Magic, are possible if it is not cast in a 9th level slot.

The intent of that sentence is probably meant to mean that it has infinite duration, but the side effect of that sentence is an implication that other methods work with lower level slots.

CapnZapp

Legend
Strange focus.

That dispel magic works, but is hard since it's a level 9 spell, is completely uncontroversial in my book.

What's really boggling my mind is how lame it is for a level 9 spell be automatically defeated by a mere remove curse.

And that the geas effect itself is peanuts against a high level character.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Strange focus.

That dispel magic works, but is hard since it's a level 9 spell, is completely uncontroversial in my book.

What's really boggling my mind is how lame it is for a level 9 spell be automatically defeated by a mere remove curse.

And that the geas effect itself is peanuts against a high level character.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Agreed. I use the dispel magic math for all spells that target other spells.

Remove ads