D&D 5E Enemies should only attack when they have advantage (and other quick tips)

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Just two questions (and this is really for @everyone), because your OP got me thinking.

1. Do you have the opponents use the Help action? AND
2. (a) Do your opponents dodge and (b) do you tell players that they are dodging, so they can look for another target?

With question 2 in my campaigns I have opponents at least attempt to hit the dodging PCs, but PCs on the other hand may decide to attack non-dodging opponents. Then with that thinking I can have opponents ignore dodging PCs and go for the targets they don't really want me to go for (thus their dodging preoccupation becomes less of tactic for them).
1) Absolutely! I think that would be a really fun enemy action.

"The orc knocks your sword away with his axe, leaving room for his companion to strike in! He's using the Help Action..."

2) I definitely have opponents dodge, though it's rare. I find having enemies making passive moves is just not as exciting as active ones, even if it makes them less effective.

But as has been mentioned, anything that increases player choices is usually a good idea!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
yes and no. It was been used both as a great "Use tactics" but also a horrible "Jerk DM".
I feel like the jerk DM is a misuse. The original article was pure praise for the campaign. I think some people just see an example of challenge-focused play and assume DM-antagonism.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
@GMforPowergamers I think you may be taking my ideas way too literally, and ignoring the fact that this is a strategy I have already used to make my combats more fun and engaging.

Also in my original post I explicitly say that this is a guideline I use, not a hard rule that must be followed.

The point of the example I gave isn't that an orc shoving a paladin is strategic or deadly... It's that it sets up a great moment for a rogue to shoot the orc over the paladin's prone body, or the paladin to leap up with a mighty blow from their sword, or whatever. Shoving the paladin down creates a ticking clock that the characters can respond to, rather than just another swing of an axe. Obviously one orc is going to be easily defeated anyways, so what does it matter if they land one single blow or not?

Anyways, that is literally the last I'm going to type about that one random example, when the whole point of my post was that giving enemies something else to do in combat creates fun, dynamic fights at my table. If your table is different, that's okay!

I feel like the jerk DM is a misuse. The original article was pure praise for the campaign. I think some people just see an example of challenge-focused play and assume DM-antagonism.
neither of us played in the original game... however the tactics and ideas have been misused plenty over the years... weather or not the DM was antagonistic is lost to time, but the idea has been used to defend antagonistic DMs for decaids.... the first time I heard of them had to be 10+ years after the article was written deep in 3.5. There was a 'spirited' debate on what side those tactics fell from 'good thinking' to 'jerk DM'

Remove ads