D&D 5E Enhancing "Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus"

Reynard

Legend
Tonight will be our first session out in the wilds of Avernus after the party stole a war machine from Mad Maggie. I need ideas for short adventures/extended encounters in Avernus that aren't just fights with Devils or Demons.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Tonight will be our first session out in the wilds of Avernus after the party stole a war machine from Mad Maggie. I need ideas for short adventures/extended encounters in Avernus that aren't just fights with Devils or Demons.
You go joyriding in rough terrain (because who doesn't enjoy goin' muddin' once in a while?) and you bang up the mechanism and have to fix it. Anybody proficient with Metalworking Tools? If not, this may take a bit. And there is a cloud of dust on the horizon...

Reynard

Legend
My players stole a vehicle from Mad Maggie. What's a big, very scary flying monster I can throw at them (she's going to have sent it to kill them then sit on the vehicle until her madcaps arrive)?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
What's the flying critter with deer antlers and eats hearts? Send something like that, amp'ed up so it has stats like it belongs in Hell.

You could add a dragon's Frightful Presence but call it Aura of Despair: targets want to run away (as if Turned), this monster is so scary.

A flock of vultures flies in the monster's wake because they know there will be a meal coming.

jasper

Rotten DM
Give them some rest stops as random encounters.
A sign that says Litter Barrel 1000 FT but you never get there. (True Story).
Rest Stops for your War Machine. No soul coins. They over inflate one side. The car wash is only working 2 of the 3 parts. Wash, Scrub, Rinse.
Outhouses with no toilet paper.

As an alternative addition to chapter three I had our group be given a mission by Olanthius to rescue a celelestial to prove thier power level and benevolence. I did this using the Adventurers league one shot DDAL 09-10 Tipping the scales. For anyone interested its on audio podbean and youtube video of roll20:
<iframe title="23 - Diremire Pit (2) - DDAL09-10 Tipping the Scales" height="122" width="100%" style="border: none;" scrolling="no" data-name="pb-iframe-player" src=""></iframe>

Reynard

Legend
My players are just entering the final act of DiA and reading ahead for prep it seems like there is a lot of dungeon crawl slog. Has anyone found this to be the case, and if so what have you done to mitigate it.

We are using milestone XP so there's no danger of missing xp by bypassing encounters, although I am a little worried it might result in PCs not acquiring magical treasure they might need. I haven't done a full accounting of what treasure exists in the module.

What inspired me to take a close look was a player lamenting that there is too much combat in the adventure. I have tried to create opportunities to engage NPCs and tole play, but most of the plot points do seem gated by combat without other potential solutions. Of course half my players are bloodthirsty murderhobos so even when there are other solutions those players tend to shoot first.

I have used a non-combat adventure as a means for the party to gain entry to the bleeding citadel gates without Lulu.
Essentially the Gargauth knows that the gates can only be bypassed by the purest of hearts. He knows and by means of an infernal contract can send the party to a ravenloft 'Jail'.

Cue a run through of Solace in Silence. a one shot ravenloft with no monsters and no combat.
The party know they need to pass a test but not what the test is or how to pass. They are assuming that the test is to escape, but a grand gesture of self sacrifice right at the end of the adventure will return the PCs to the other side of the gates intact as at the point they were transported.

I am treating it similar to the dream states experienced in mad maggies and in Idylglen.

Reynard

Legend
The PCs are about to enter the Tomb of the Hellriders and I think I am going to completely eliminate any combat from it. They will have to convince the ghosts and death knight that giving up the location of the sword is the best choice. I am not sure what to do about the Bleeding Citadel.

In my game the PCs managed to release the Hidden Lord from the shield and now there is a civil war between him and Zariel while the demon incursion intensifies. The PCs are nominally aligned with the Hidden Lord but really just want to free Elturel and GTFO.

What's the flying critter with deer antlers and eats hearts? Send something like that, amp'ed up so it has stats like it belongs in Hell.

You could add a dragon's Frightful Presence but call it Aura of Despair: targets want to run away (as if Turned), this monster is so scary.

A flock of vultures flies in the monster's wake because they know there will be a meal coming.
Peryton

Remove ads