D&D 5E Enhancing "Curse of Strahd" (and DDAL adventures)

Jackdaw

First Post
Some good ideas in here! I started running Curse of Strahd last week and I have many deviations in the works but the change pertinent to this discussion is the nature of Strahd and Barovia. In my campaign he’s a bestial incarnation of envy, a man-sized smudge of darkness with a leprous snow white face, a lamprey mouth and hands like slick hooks. He wears a serene death mask of his brother Sergei which he only removes when he feeds. He’s less Victorian Dracula and more late Renaissance Nosferatu. Most Barovians, having never seen him, think he looks like the face on their coins. The romantic idea of “The Devil of Barovia” is one that he cultivates to feed his ego.

-----

Changes and enhancements...

Strahd and his vampire spawn are harmed by the sunlight of Barovia and don’t rise from their coffins until sundown. The villagers who still worship The Morninglord and his saints maintain hope as long as the sun continues to rise each day. This is crucial to the dread-and-release flow of a horror campaign. This means he’s cautious about his travel time, making sure to take his nightmare steed when he journeys near the borders of Barovia. His vampire spawn are less likely to accompany him the further he travels from the castle.

His nightmare steed is not a stallion named Bucephalus (snore). It’s actually a mare named Prana. The mare has the ability to appear as a gentle black riding horse, usually to lure innocents to their death.

Strahd’s Misty Escape ability gives him until sunrise (not 2 hours) to return to his coffin. His spawn still have the 2 hour limit.

His Scrying spell manifests as a shadow. In darkness it’s unseen but in the lamplight of an inn or the glow of a campfire the characters might notice the extra silhouette of a man. The shadow stretches, magnifies and escapes around corners as the mood warrants.

Most Barovians have a soul. They’re numb because they’re terrified and exhausted, not because they’re empty vessels. Handfuls of “silent babes” have been born without a soul in each generation but the cause is unknown, even to Strahd. These children are traditionally sent to the monastery in Krezk to be raised by the Abbot. After centuries of failed attempts to unite them with a soul the disguised deva now considers them little more than golems. These soulless Barovians, of various ages, replace the mongrelfolk outlined in the adventure.

Barovians regularly reincarnate but only the wisest suspect this. They don’t share this information since the prospect is terrifying and sacrilegious: it means they are beyond The Morninglord’s salvation. Déjà vu is common enough that Barovians attribute it to drinking too much wine and call it “The First Cup”. They do not resemble their past lives any more than a small, inbred population would resemble previous generations.

Ireena does not resemble Tatyana nor is she Tatyana reincarnated. She is just the most beautiful woman of her (limited) generation and thus the object of Strahd’s fixation. His crypts contain multiple wives he was certain - at the time - were Tatyana reborn because of their singular beauty. He has no way of recognizing her soul, and he never will, because he never truly loved her or knew her. He simply covets her. It’s a distinction his bent mind will never understand, so he continues to doom generations of women.

The only entities who can recognize Tatyana’s reincarnated soul are Sergei and the Sun Sword, by hearing her (or him) laugh with joy. If events transpire where this happens (Sergei may be reincarnated into a PC from outside of Barovia by grace of The Morninglord, or a PC might have the Sun Sword in their possession) they may feel compelled to keep this information from Strahd at all costs.

Some Barovians are the reincarnated souls of animals. This is a form of lycanthropy unique to Barovia, possibly intertwined with the “silent babes” phenomenon. Offspring born to a lycanthrope are usually, but not always, lycanthropes too (of the same type). A bite from a lycanthrope does not cause lycanthropy.

Zombies in Barovia the remains of Strahd’s army and castle guards whom he cursed for their assumed treason. They’re not miscellaneous undead. Those that weren’t slain and raised in the castle were hunted down in the forest over subsequent nights and executed. Most of them bear the scars of their demise, headless or with deep gashes across their throats. They stay close to where they perished, unless summoned by Strahd, and only attack and pursue armed individuals. They do not randomly congregate in village houses

----

Harassment ideas...

He uses Gust of Wind to knock a character off one of the high bridges and has Prana save them at the last moment.

He has a Vistani troop dress as the characters and perform a play in Vallaki wherein they each commit suicide

He has his wolves leave a trail of innocent wounded animals – dogs, deer, raccoons, that the characters have to ignore, heal or put out of their misery.

He has the coffin maker contact them and say their funerals, and plots, have been paid for in advance.

He takes a family hostage in their home and forces them to prepare a fine meal. He invites the PCs to dinner, just to have a long chat, with the implication that he will slaughter the family if the PCs raise a finger against him.

Thassit for now!

Purely my own opinion on some of your changes.

Some good ideas in here! I started running Curse of Strahd last week and I have many deviations in the works but the change pertinent to this discussion is the nature of Strahd and Barovia. In my campaign he’s a bestial incarnation of envy, a man-sized smudge of darkness with a leprous snow white face, a lamprey mouth and hands like slick hooks. He wears a serene death mask of his brother Sergei which he only removes when he feeds. He’s less Victorian Dracula and more late Renaissance Nosferatu. Most Barovians, having never seen him, think he looks like the face on their coins. The romantic idea of “The Devil of Barovia” is one that he cultivates to feed his ego.
Yeah I don't really like this idea. I like that he can be civil when he wants to and appear as charming and kind. Before his face twists into it's monstrous mask.

Changes and enhancements...

His nightmare steed is not a stallion named Bucephalus (snore). It’s actually a mare named Prana. The mare has the ability to appear as a gentle black riding horse, usually to lure innocents to their death.
Whats wrong with Bucephalus its named after Alexander the Great's horse and is considered one of the greatest. Consdering how similar Strahd was to Alexander before becoming a vampire I like the reference in his horse.

Most Barovians have a soul. They’re numb because they’re terrified and exhausted, not because they’re empty vessels. Handfuls of “silent babes” have been born without a soul in each generation but the cause is unknown, even to Strahd. These children are traditionally sent to the monastery in Krezk to be raised by the Abbot. After centuries of failed attempts to unite them with a soul the disguised deva now considers them little more than golems. These soulless Barovians, of various ages, replace the mongrelfolk outlined in the adventure.
I am going to lower the number of Souless myself. (7 out of 10 instead of 9 out of ten.) But I overall like the detail.
Also I like the Mongrefolk and don't get why you would want to get rid of them. It makes the Abbot seem less twisted as he did that to the Belviews thinking it would help them.

Ireena does not resemble Tatyana nor is she Tatyana reincarnated. She is just the most beautiful woman of her (limited) generation and thus the object of Strahd’s fixation. His crypts contain multiple wives he was certain - at the time - were Tatyana reborn because of their singular beauty. He has no way of recognizing her soul, and he never will, because he never truly loved her or knew her. He simply covets her. It’s a distinction his bent mind will never understand, so he continues to doom generations of women.
The only entities who can recognize Tatyana’s reincarnated soul are Sergei and the Sun Sword, by hearing her (or him) laugh with joy. If events transpire where this happens (Sergei may be reincarnated into a PC from outside of Barovia by grace of The Morninglord, or a PC might have the Sun Sword in their possession) they may feel compelled to keep this information from Strahd at all costs.
Even if you don't want to make Ireena Tatyana's reincarnation. I think she should still resemble her. As it makes Strahd still seem like he has a point. Even if you want to say he was wrong in the end and some other girl was Tatyana's reincarnation.

Zombies in Barovia the remains of Strahd’s army and castle guards whom he cursed for their assumed treason. They’re not miscellaneous undead. Those that weren’t slain and raised in the castle were hunted down in the forest over subsequent nights and executed. Most of them bear the scars of their demise, headless or with deep gashes across their throats. They stay close to where they perished, unless summoned by Strahd, and only attack and pursue armed individuals. They do not randomly congregate in village houses
Strahd Zombies are explicitly stated to have been members Strahd's army and guard. Normal zombies are miscellaneous ones with little to do with him. I see no reason to change this dynamic.

Starwind

First Post
I have a few articles on my blog (in my sig and here) enhancing Curse of Strahd.

I have a new Trinket table of 50 new Gothic Trinkets and also a new Background called Old Soul (someone who is a reincarnation of a Barovian).

I will be adding more and more as I run the campaign. I have a few remixed rooms from Death House I need to write up an article on soon.

Please check it out and give me some feedback.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm reincorporating the three defiled fanes from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft and making their re-hallowing an important part of what's necessary to finally destroy Strahd (due to weakening many of his defenses.)

In EtCR, the three ancient fanes were shrines dedicated to three blessed saints in the valley, and when Strahd took control of the land he had the three of them defiled and then had a trio of hags maintain vigil over those defiled spaces. Doing this granted him three additional defenses that made him much more difficult to defeat as a vampire. These three specific fanes do not exist in Curse of Strahd (their locations were Lysaga Hill, Ivlis Marsh, and the Tser Pool Encampment)... however there *are* two locations in CoS that are practically near enough-- there's the Megaliths outside of Old Bonegrinder (the area of which is guarded by the hag Morgantha) and there's the Menhirs on the outskirts of Berez (guarded by the hag Baba Lysaga). On top of that, the adventure makes note of two of the famous Saints of the valley... Saint Markovia (and her abbey in Kresk) and Saint Andral (and his church in Vallaki).

So what I've decided is that the Menhirs were a sacred place blessed by Saint Markovia, and the Megaliths were the same blessed by Saint Andral. All that remained for me was to decide where to incorporate a third location of standing stones that matched the other two, place another hag there as a defender, and decide on the third saint. I decided to go back to EtCR and in it they talk about Saint Ecatarina (whose burial shroud is found over the body of Strahd's mother). Now since the other two saints have religious buildings dedicated to them in two of the Barovian towns (the Abbey of Saint Markovia and the Church of Saint Andral), I figure it'd make sense to have the small church in the village of Barovia dedicated to Saint Ecatarina (calling it Saint's Ecatarina's Chapel.) And as far as her fane... I really liked the ruins found on Lysaga Hill in EtCR and decided to bring those back, plus the plotline for them found in the book-- some witches are working with a hag there to summon a demon to gain additional power. So to give my players an additional adventure location right outside the village, I'm going to insert another circle of standing stones there that match the megaliths and menhirs, and which had been a blessed place of Saint Ecatarina (before Strahd defiled it like he did the others.) Now it is occupied by some Barovian Witches and a green hag named Baba Zelenna, and they are trying to summon some creature (demon, archfey, haven't decided yet). At some point the PCs will learn that in order to cleanse the lands, they will need to defeat the hags at the three fanes then perform the cleansing rituals (pretty much following the instructions in EtCR).

By reincorporating this story from Expedition, I'm thinking it will give the PCs something to strive for that is necessary to be done (prior to storming the castle and taking on Strahd), rather than just wander around doing odd jobs for people at all the various locations. I mean obviously they will do all of those things too... but once they learn about the fanes (via the Tome of Strahd) and how he gained much of his power through their defilement, it'll give them an obvious course to follow to begin their journey towards destroying him. I think it will be a nice readdition to the CoS story.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I have a few articles on my blog (in my sig and here) enhancing Curse of Strahd.

I have a new Trinket table of 50 new Gothic Trinkets and also a new Background called Old Soul (someone who is a reincarnation of a Barovian).
Great stuff! I've left a couple of comments for you. I particularly like the Old Soul background.

* Walter Durst = Death House.
How does that work?

Last edited:

Daern

Explorer
A couple of prep things that will help (so far):
A table of book titles (there are a lot of these around the nets)
A timeline for visiting the Village of Valleki. This is another of these chapters where you have to read the whole thing to figure out what the actual stories are. The various threads are: Mad Baron of Enforced Happiness, Unhallowed Church, Lady Wachter Devil Cult, plus Rictavio and Vistani hanging about.
Day 1: PCs arrive to see work underway for the next festival. They will probably visit the Church (and discover the bone theft, possibly visit coffinmaker), and the Tavern (patrons are savoring their wine, meet Innkeeper Urwin and perhaps get asked to help get more wine delivered, meet Rictavio and the Wachter Bros.
Day: Visit local dignitaries, visit Vistani camp, get invited to the Wachterhaus Book Club
Day 3 Festival of the Burning Sun: ruined by rain, laughing guard is punished, Wachter boys set off a tiger rampage.
Day 3 Vampire attack on the church if the Bones of St. Andral are not found.

-If they stop the attack on the church, but don't overthrow the Baron, what happens when PCs visit this village again? What other festivals could there be? Dancing Festival ("Dance on your feet or on this pike), Villaki Games (footraces, archery, performed by malnourished villagers), Theater Festival (MidWinter Day Dream, Von Zarovich VIII), Lake Festival...

Jackdaw

First Post
Yeah I don't really like this idea. I like that he can be civil when he wants to and appear as charming and kind. Before his face twists into it's monstrous mask.

I should elaborate. He's bestial but he can assume a facade of civility. He's eloquent, though its disturbing to witness because sociopathy emanates from him like a stench. Animals, children and adults (with a decent Wisdom score) recognize it and know he's a monster regardless of his careful manners.

Whats wrong with Bucephalus its named after Alexander the Great's horse and is considered one of the greatest. Consdering how similar Strahd was to Alexander before becoming a vampire I like the reference in his horse.

Naming his horse after a famous steed in Earth’s antiquity pulls me out of the story. It's akin to the goofy names on the crypts beneath the castle. I also like the idea of nightmare being an actual mare.

]I am going to lower the number of Souless myself. (7 out of 10 instead of 9 out of ten.) But I overall like the detail.
Also I like the Mongrefolk and don't get why you would want to get rid of them. It makes the Abbot seem less twisted as he did that to the Belviews thinking it would help them.

The circumstances of the Abbot/deva's corruption don't work for me. He came to Barovia to investigate Saint Markovia's death and ends up spending his time body-modding an inbred family? Yes, he does it to make them happy but his priorities are bizarre. As a servant of The Morninglord he would have brought the fight directly to Strahd, with righteous vengeance. I’m fine with him being cloistered now but something must have happened in that first encounter centuries ago that caused the deva to lose his nerve.

Here’s a twisted idea:

Strahd defeated the deva after a titanic battle in the castle. He amputated his wings (later to be made into a feather cape for one of his brides) and chained him to the desecrated altar in the chapel. This was during the first decades of his undeath so the notion that the god the Von Zaroviches once worshipped would send an angel to assassinate him was staggering, a feeling ricocheting between doubt and pride. When the weeping angel cast Commune it was the first time Strahd experienced his ability to interrupt a direct plea to the divine. It shocked both of them. Strahd laughed and exalted, feeling like a god.

He decided not to slay the angel, so he could experience the rush each time the angel searched for divine reassurance. Strahd kept him a prisoner for decades, a testament to his ultimate mastery of the land and ether. Eventually the angel stopped trying, his mind lost to hopelessness. Strahd bade him to attempt it one more time with a promise that he wouldn’t intercede. He kept his word, but only to grant the briefest glimpse of The Morninglord and snatch it away. It was enough to make the angel choke with longing and slip into a drug like stupor. That’s how Strahd learned to tame a deva, stringing him out on a trickle of potent divinity, controlling his connection.

The deva eventually escaped the castle, assisted by adventurers (who didn’t survive the effort) and made his way to Krezk to recuperate. He joined the monastic order there and rose to the position of Abbot years later, hiding his true nature and helping the villagers in modest ways. Strahd never pursued him knowing he would be Communed with soon enough, the angel addicted and unable to help himself. The Abbot now exists in a sad state of Stockholm syndrome, seeing Strahd as a tragic god whose will must be appeased rather than a beast who must be slain.

He knows Strahd has the ability to release individuals from Barovia so he occasionally constructs elaborate offerings (like the flesh golem bride) in exchange for the safe passage of “the deserving”. Strahd has made a show of magnanimity when accepting these gifts but the released emigrants just die deeper in the mists regardless.

I guess the idea doesn’t contradict the existence of the mongrelfolk, but the brainstorm took me on a tangent.

Even if you don't want to make Ireena Tatyana's reincarnation. I think she should still resemble her. As it makes Strahd still seem like he has a point. Even if you want to say he was wrong in the end and some other girl was Tatyana's reincarnation.

Strahd still has a point. He’s certain Tatyana’s reincarnation will be physically beautiful (his ego demands it) and he knows it’s only a matter of time before he finds her. She jumped to her death to avoid him and yet her soul became eternally trapped in his realm. How are they not meant to be together? ;)

Strahd Zombies are explicitly stated to have been members Strahd's army and guard. Normal zombies are miscellaneous ones with little to do with him. I see no reason to change this dynamic.

My players are very bored with zombies, in movies, books, jokes and adventures. If they’re going to be in my game I need an interesting reason for them.

Last edited:

The circumstances of the Abbot/deva's corruption don't work for me. He came to Barovia to investigate Saint Markovia's death and ends up spending his time body-modding an inbred family? Yes, he does it to make them happy but his priorities are bizarre. As a servant of The Morninglord he would have brought the fight directly to Strahd, with righteous vengeance. I’m fine with him being cloistered now but something must have happened in that first encounter centuries ago that caused the deva to lose his nerve.

I don't think you read the Abbots details incorrectly. He did not come to Barovia to avenge Saint Markovia or investigate her death. He can to replace and honor her by making her corrupted Abbey a place of healing and light once again. The Dark Powers however started to warp him. His goals there was to heal and help the physically and mentally ill. The Belviews came into the picture and he fixed their sickness but not all of their imperfections, and they wanted to have stuff like Batwings and Cateyes rather then be normal. And the Abbot being a kind creature wanted to give them want they wanted. Strahd in disguise offered to help him resulting in the Belviews becoming insane (but happy) Mongrel Folk.

The Abbot then found out about Strahd and while he knew Strahd was evil. He realized that any attempt to kill Strahd would be futile and it would not end the curse on Barovia. Because Strahd told him his story, the Abbot belives that buy helping Strahd find his love the Curse over Barovia will be broken. Pretty much he wants to help Strahd because he thinks that will do more good, then harming him. Strahd however does not give a damn about the Abbots ideas and the plan to gift him with a golem bride. He is just amused by a creature of good falling so far.

His character traits say everything

Ideal. "I want to rid Barovia of its sickness. By giving the devil his heart's desire, I bring salvation to him and his land."
Bond. "I love the creatures I create, including my beautiful golems and mongrelfolk."
Flaw. "I can't be corrupted. My heart is pure, my intentions noble and good."

I find this much more twisted and creepy and interesting then your idea. Your idea could work for another new character. But the Abbot already has a very interesting story. One of a creature of good that fell to evil due to his kindness.

Jackdaw

First Post
The Abbot then found out about Strahd and while he knew Strahd was evil. He realized that any attempt to kill Strahd would be futile and it would not end the curse on Barovia. Because Strahd told him his story, the Abbot belives that buy helping Strahd find his love the Curse over Barovia will be broken. Pretty much he wants to help Strahd because he thinks that will do more good, then harming him. Strahd however does not give a damn about the Abbots ideas and the plan to gift him with a golem bride. He is just amused by a creature of good falling so far.

You're right! I did mis-remember why the deva first came to Barovia. I'm still on the fence with the mongrelfolk but it could go either way depending on how I lay out the rest of the campaign.

I am curious how the deva came to the realization that the curse would not end with Strahd's death. If he shares this bit of knowledge with the PCs, and they recognize him as an authority on the subject, wouldn't it derail the campaign?

Remove ads