D&D 5E Enhancing "Waterdeep: Dragon Heist"

G

Guest 6801328

So, I’ll admit to a bit of skimming (not finding this the most readable adventure, given the four parallel plots, I probably need to pick a villain and read it that way), but I did not see a location given for the vault?

Did I miss it? If I didn’t, where would be a good place for large, forgotten?, Dwarven vault?

It varies by season. In chapter 4, the last encounter in each season is the entrance to the vault.

And did anyone else eye-roll on the key options? I’d prefer some thing that needs to be assembled into a contraption/key that opens the door (and has some connection to Neverember...)

Some of them are silly, but the part I like is that if the players have been interacting with the environment and the NPCs they'll know how to find the keys.

Still, I hear you. I like the idea of hiding the keys in the various lairs. If you buy Unseen Waterdeep it will give you another option for that, too.

pukunui

Legend
I'm a bit confused about the Zhentarim Hideout in Chapter 1. The description doesn't seem to jive with the map.

First of all, the description states that it is a "ramshackle two-story warehouse" that "stands at the back of an outer yard behind a high fence".

The warehouse is stated to have *three* entry points: a front door, a large warehouse door, and a painted-over window. However, the map shows a total of *six* entry points, with an additional door and two windows in area Z5, although, although no mention is made of them in the accompanying text.

Furthermore, there are artistic flourishes on the map to either side of the "Yard Level" that look like they could be stairs.

I am wondering if perhaps Candle Lane, the alleyway on which the warehouse is located, is meant to be lower than the street at the "back" of the warehouse. Meaning that if you approach the warehouse from the lane, you come to the fenced-in yard entrance, whereas if you approach from the street on the other side, you come to the offices.

And those flourishes are meant to be stairs leading between the lane and the street.

The other issue of note is that the opening description states that the "front" door, the warehouse loading door, and the painted window can be unlocked with a DC 12 Dex check using thieves' tools. The description of area Z1, however, indicates that they can be opened with a DC 10 Dex check. I'm not sure if this is a mistake or deliberate. If the latter, it could be that the locks are intended to be easier to pick from the inside. This is not made clear in the description, however.

jimmytheccomic

First Post
So, I’ll admit to a bit of skimming (not finding this the most readable adventure, given the four parallel plots, I probably need to pick a villain and read it that way), but I did not see a location given for the vault?

Did I miss it? If I didn’t, where would be a good place for large, forgotten?, Dwarven vault?

A "Heist" climax is important to me, so my plan is to put the vault under Castle Waterdeep. If they don't want to fight through hundreds of guards, the vault will only be really accessible during a large banquet function- all of the villains will either be in attendance or have agents in attendance, and the team will have to try to get it out under everyone nose.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
A "Heist" climax is important to me, so my plan is to put the vault under Castle Waterdeep. If they don't want to fight through hundreds of guards, the vault will only be really accessible during a large banquet function- all of the villains will either be in attendance or have agents in attendance, and the team will have to try to get it out under everyone nose.

That was going to be my suggestion too. The Castle was built long ago atop an old Dwarven mineworks. Neverember learned of the vault's existence during his time as the Open Lord and made sure that he was the only one alive with the knowledge of its whereabouts (he's a bit of a bastard).

As far as the heist goes though, given its massive weight it seems logical that the heist would happen while the hoard is being transported to its new owner (in my approach, the players are cheated out of their victory at the end of chapter 4 by one of the villains and the level 5 mission is to steal the hoard back :) ). I would let the players know the planned route through the city and let them choose where they're going to strike, using your rules supplement to join the action in medias res.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I'm a bit confused about the Zhentarim Hideout in Chapter 1. The description doesn't seem to jive with the map.

First of all, the description states that it is a "ramshackle two-story warehouse" that "stands at the back of an outer yard behind a high fence".

Yeah the description is pretty confusing - a side on view would have helped a lot (or even a "site in context of other buildings" overview).

The warehouse is stated to have *three* entry points: a front door, a large warehouse door, and a painted-over window. However, the map shows a total of *six* entry points, with an additional door and two windows in area Z5, although, although no mention is made of them in the accompanying text.

Furthermore, there are artistic flourishes on the map to either side of the "Yard Level" that look like they could be stairs.
The text seems to assume that the PCs approach from a side alley on the west side (those rectangular things I'm guessing are rickety steps?) That's where they encounter the fence and see the yard and "main entrance". I think the other entrances are ignored/forgotten because they're in plain sight on a busy(?) street. (Lots of assumptions). You'd really think WotC would know how to situate and describe a building by now! :)

I am wondering if perhaps Candle Lane, the alleyway on which the warehouse is located, is meant to be lower than the street at the "back" of the warehouse. Meaning that if you approach the warehouse from the lane, you come to the fenced-in yard entrance, whereas if you approach from the street on the other side, you come to the offices.

And those flourishes are meant to be stairs leading between the lane and the street.
Right, but would it have killed them to label the adjacent streets and alleys?

The other issue of note is that the opening description states that the "front" door, the warehouse loading door, and the painted window can be unlocked with a DC 12 Dex check using thieves' tools. The description of area Z1, however, indicates that they can be opened with a DC 10 Dex check. I'm not sure if this is a mistake or deliberate. If the latter, it could be that the locks are intended to be easier to pick from the inside. This is not made clear in the description, however.

Seeing as they're still talking about entering the room when the lower DC is mentioned I think this is just a copy editing snafu (I've found a couple already even in my random-ish skimming). But I totally missed this one when reading Ch. 1.

As far as the Dex vs Str checks for getting in, new DMs would be greatly helped by noting that the Dex approach will allow the PCs to enter more steathily, while the Str approach will make enough noise to alert any occupants.

What bugged me about this hideout was the hidden room Z3, revealed by a DC 15 Wis (Percep) check. Given that there's not much to lead the party back into this corner it just seems a bit random.

(Another thing I feel WotC doesn't help new DMs with is how to handle ability checks. For example, when dealing the Kenku, the DM is told that a successful DC 10 Cha (Intimidation) check forces them to reveal what they know. A better way to phrase it, IMHO, would be

The Kenku are not particularly brave and can be intimidated into revealing what they know, DC 10 Cha (Intimidation) to check.

Something that guides the DM into what kind of approaches the PCs should be attempting (and how to roleplay the Kenku) with the DC left as the arbiter of uncertainty.)

Last edited:

jimmytheccomic

First Post
That was going to be my suggestion too. The Castle was built long ago atop an old Dwarven mineworks. Neverember learned of the vault's existence during his time as the Open Lord and made sure that he was the only one alive with the knowledge of its whereabouts (he's a bit of a bastard).

As far as the heist goes though, given its massive weight it seems logical that the heist would happen while the hoard is being transported to its new owner (in my approach, the players are cheated out of their victory at the end of chapter 4 by one of the villains and the level 5 mission is to steal the hoard back :) ). I would let the players know the planned route through the city and let them choose where they're going to strike, using your rules supplement to join the action in medias res.

Oooh, yeah, stealing the hoard back while it's in motion is pretty fun. I was thinking of something revolving around a "Bag of Holding" shell game, but my players are crazy so who knows what they'll come up with.

I'm super pumped people are excited to use my supplement! Drop a line and let me know how it works out at your table, if you don't mind.

G

Guest 6801328

"Somebody" should write up an adventure supplement that:
1) Modify the final stage of each of the 4 season sequences in chapter 4 to give the heroes the clue that it's under Castle Waterdeep
2) Make up a new table of keys, so that each key is a physical object, with a random location in the villain lairs
3) Build out a Masked Ball at Waterdeep Castle event, that would include:
- A way for the characters to get an invitation
- Some kind of social intrigue that must be resolved/addressed before the vault can be entered

If it were done well I would definitely pay for that on DMs Guild.

1) Modify the final stage of each of the 4 season sequences in chapter 4 to give the heroes the clue that it's under Castle Waterdeep
2) Make up a new table of keys, so that each key is a physical object, with a random location in the villain lairs
- Some kind of social intrigue that must be resolved/addressed before the vault can be entered

For #3, you could use or modify the Cassalantar's Founder's Day party detailed in their section of the book...

Aoirorentsu

Explorer

In that resolution, one could use the "party planning" structure that Justin Alexander lays out here to both frame the heist-y action and possibly seed sidequests and future campaign events.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter

This sounds very cool.

For 3a, if Volo is part of your adventure then he would certainly be an honoured guest and would be able to bring an entourage, i.e. the PCs. Or Neverember’s son I suppose, they should have some coattails they could ride in on at any rate.

Remove ads