Ennies Ceremony: How should nominees dress?

How should Ennie Nominees dress for the ceremony?

• Formal

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Semi-Formal

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • Casual-Work

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • Casual

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Retro (80s, 70s, please post a response and why)

Votes: 12 16.7%

• Poll closed .

Twin Rose

First Post
I was recently in a debate with a fellow gamer about how the Ennie awards are perceived, and had some thoughts on the process. As a matter of respect, I believed formal or semi-formal should be the order of the day: show our collective respect for the awards, to help consumers understand the prestige, and to show our respect for the nomination we received.

My friend, however, was of the exact opposite mind: Dress like a gamer, be one of them, show that you are one of them. While I think his viewpoint has merit, I don't believe it shows the respect for the awards I want to convey.

Please vote to give us an idea of what you, the voters, think is the appropriate amount of respect you want the companies to show you ... ANd in what form.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
I feel that Casual and Casual-Work should be the "order of the day" as my associate put it.

When accepting an award at the Ennies, casual is ok because it brings you closer to the gamers that voted you to receive the award.

We are all regular people and I dont see why we should discomfort ourselves to show respect when there is another way to do it.

Respecting the award would be thanking those that nominated and voted for you, and continuing to bring them a great product, and what they want and deserve.

Represent not an elitist group of indivuals are better then everyone else (which is what I feel being "formal" screems).

We are all gamers, Lets not divide ourselves and seperate ourselves by special clothes. We are already a diverse and wonderfull group.

Dress casual and represent the regular gamer.

Twin Rose

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Well I was going to say you should go naked...but since that isn't an option, I guess semi-formal would work. ;)

Personally, I'm thinking not a Tux, but a matching shirt/tie/pants sort of deal... Should women wear dresses? *NOT* a fashion expert, here.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not actually going to be present at the ceremony, but I'll put in my $0.02, anyway.

First and foremost - the Ennies are about entertainment. Should the awards program also not be entertaining? Make it a bloody costume ball!

The world is already full of folks who take things and themselves far too seriously. I personally would prefer that gaming not become somethign where people are supposed to do stuffy things to show respect. Let them show respect in their products, and by how they treat consumers on a daily basis, rather than in a once a year show.

And, lastly, wearing a suit does not show respect. It shows willingness to play along. Sometimes that willingness is engendered by respect, sometimes it is not. The participants will do whatever is expected, whether or not they respect us, because to do otherwise will hurt their reputation. If it's billed as a formal event, or if he catches wind that others are going formal, he'll just as likely wear a suit because to do otherwise will probably hurt his sales as he will out of genuine respect.

Real respect is shown by how you act when you aren't under careful scrutiny, so let them dress as they will.

I'm not gonna be the one to tell someobdy that has been standing up on the exhibition floor ALL DAY to wear something less than comfortable.

Just keep in mind that they are taking pictures, so you probably want to wear pants instead of scaring us with your white legs. :D

Last edited:

Twin Rose

First Post
I don't want to go in anything that I wouldn't wear to work, back when I was working in an office that is. I don't want to come off as "flipant" towards the awards. Mind you, I wouldn't wear a leisure suit to work, so that's right out;) (Unless Retro wins for some reason, then I can see what I can do, but it's more likely I'd go pure pimp).

d20Dwarf

Explorer
I think all nominees should have at least one piece of viking wear somewhere on their person, whether it be a horned helmet or necklace of human ears is left to the individual. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases