• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ENnies judge qualifications question

woodelf

First Post
For a moment, i thought about running for judgeship, but then i realized that i really don't have the time to do it right. So this is mostly out of curiosity, and any use of myself is for exemplary purposes only. Is
* If you are, or have worked for a publisher in any capacity during the last 12 months, you are not eligible to be a judge.
intended to apply to all publishers, as written, or only D20 System publishers? What about publishers that won't have any product available this year (or any previous year)?

It seems to me that, in an industry where the line between fan and publisher has always been fuzzy, and is steadily disappearing due to e-publishing, it's gonna get steadily harder to find people with the qualifications, free time, and inclination to judge RPG products who don't turn those same qualities to producing their own stuff. Is it really any more of a conflict of interest for someone like me [start-up publisher, first product will probably hit the shelves around Xmas, no D20 System products other than a PDF of the D20SRD] than for someone with a website full of commercial-quality free D20 System products (whether or not they're trying to break into the commercial side of teh biz)?

I don't know if it'll matter this year, but perhaps selecting, say, 7 judges, so that should one of the judge's products be nominated they can recuse themselves from that category? It seems to me that there should be a better way of eliminating conflict of interest, without having to eliminate some of the really great judges of product who also are producers.

Last edited:

Remove ads