D&D 5E Enough about Darksun, is there anything preventing a 5.5E Birthright remake?

Digdude

Just a dude with a shovel, looking for the past.
I really appreciate the critical comments both positive and negative. My preference for using Birthright, is not for a DND Civ computer game, but as a backdrop for players to play in. I can make the leaders make big picture moves and decrees and then have the players have to deal with those decisions. No other system has all if that fleshed out so well IMO.

JAMUMU

actually dracula
I really appreciate the critical comments both positive and negative. My preference for using Birthright, is not for a DND Civ computer game, but as a backdrop for players to play in. I can make the leaders make big picture moves and decrees and then have the players have to deal with those decisions. No other system has all if that fleshed out so well IMO.
Oh yeah, this set-up also works. One of the published campaigns has the players start as free agents and they don't get to be the bosses of anywhere for quite some time.

jgsugden

Legend
What I would do:

1.) Hire a small team of experienced designers that love the material.
2.) Review the existing material and pick the 'moment in time' when the setting was the best.
3.) Build two supplement sets. The first would have no game mechanics and would cover the lore of the setting in an edition agnostic way. The second would be designed to put mechanics in place for the current edition that supports what exists in the lore book.
4.) License others to make make editions of the mechanics book for the DM Guild for 4E, 3E, 2E, AD&D.

Then repeat for Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Gamma World, etc...

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Tired Living Room GIF

Staffan

Legend
Oh absolutely, but the time and effort it would take to create enough realms to satisfy Birthright fans and then create the material needed to work as the starting politics for the setting would be monumental. And in Birthright there is a mechanical dimension to the political game, as well as the roleplaying side.
I have a recollection of some D&D medium-wig (probably Mearls) name-dropping Birthright as one of the old settings that would have a fairly good chance of coming back. The context was that any rebooted setting would need a hook of some sort that wasn't just different lore, and Birthright had one in its rulership game. Greyhawk, on the other hand, would be a harder sell, but might sneak in as an "old-school" setting (I recall them playtesting an initiative variant where you rolled from round to round, for example).

Mind you, this was some time ago, probably like 2015 or 2016, and plans have probably changed since then.

JAMUMU

actually dracula
I have a recollection of some D&D medium-wig (probably Mearls) name-dropping Birthright as one of the old settings that would have a fairly good chance of coming back. The context was that any rebooted setting would need a hook of some sort that wasn't just different lore, and Birthright had one in its rulership game. Greyhawk, on the other hand, would be a harder sell, but might sneak in as an "old-school" setting (I recall them playtesting an initiative variant where you rolled from round to round, for example).

Mind you, this was some time ago, probably like 2015 or 2016
I didn't know that, and wish that had happened. I do think the rulership and warfare game is the juiciest hook, though hats off to whoever writes a version of the rules both old hands and today's gamers would find acceptable (and I do sorta count myself in that latter camp now).

Staffan

Legend
I didn't know that, and wish that had happened. I do think the rulership and warfare game is the juiciest hook, though hats off to whoever writes a version of the rules both old hands and today's gamers would find acceptable (and I do sorta count myself in that latter camp now).
To be clear, I didn't get the idea at the time that he was saying "Birthright is coming", but more along the lines of "Birthright is the kind of thing we could do."

JAMUMU

actually dracula
To be clear, I didn't get the idea at the time that he was saying "Birthright is coming", but more along the lines of "Birthright is the kind of thing we could do."
Oh yeah I got that, sorry, I was just pondering different possible timelines.

Remove ads