D&D 5E Enough about Darksun, is there anything preventing a 5.5E Birthright remake?

Enrahim2

Adventurer
I must have but that make it seem worse to me, it is a role playing game with more bookkeeping. I might be interested in a domain management game but not as an engine to roleplay scenes.
I guess, I better bow out of the conversation.
Ah, I think the keyword here is a domain management game rather than  the domain management game. Yes, I guess the setting might have the qualities that could make it a nice lore fundation for a different game. Just have to scrap basically all the existing mechanics, and build that from scratch.

Laurefindel

Legend
Birthright would work well as half-RPG / half-miniatures-wargame (either physical or virtual) / half-civilisation-type-boardgame / diplomacy-type-extended-play-boardgame for a setting that can achieve 200% of what traditional settings can offer outside “conventional” TT RPG. “Anerson-ize” the game to make it coop. or Players-vs-Referee rather than PVP and you have something new(ish). Whether that is something people are interested in is up for debate, but that is what Birthright could have brought to the market.

They could have gone this direction with either Birthright or Dragonlance. WotC chose Dragonlance, which now greatly diminishes the raison-d’être of Birthright. I love Birthright, but I wouldn’t be holding my breath anymore.

Last edited:

Dragonlance was one of the most famous D&D lines thanks the novels. Even it had got a (failed) animated adaptatation. We shouldn't be surprised if Dragonlance is adapted to videogame, but they would need the right team.

Maybe Avalon Hill could use the setting of Cerilia for a strategic no-RP board game. In my opinion Hasbro is more interested into the videogame market, but Birthright is a brand without enough hook.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Birthright would work well as half-RPG / half-miniatures-wargame (either physical or virtual) / half-civilisation-type-boardgame / diplomacy-type-extended-play-boardgame for a setting that can achieve 200% of what traditional settings can offer outside “conventional” TT RPG. “Anerson-ize” the game to make it coop. or Players-vs-Referee rather than PVP and you have something new(ish). Whether that is something people are interested in is up for debate, but that is what Birthright could have brought to the market.

They could have gone this direction with either Birthright or Dragonlance. WotC chose Dragonlance, which now greatly diminishes the raison-d’être of Birthright. I love Birthright, but I wouldn’t be holding my breath anymore.
Somewhere in there are a couple of games that I would be interested in and if the RPG domain management to tactical wargame rules were portable and lightweight enough I might even be interested in them even in other settings.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I must have but that make it seem worse to me, it is a role playing game with more bookkeeping.
Yes, that's the point.

You're roleplaying a character who runs a domain, which means you either have to do the domain's bookkeeping or (if you can) foist it off onto an NPC Seneschal while you deal with the politics and intrigue.
I might be interested in a domain management game but not as an engine to roleplay scenes.
At times they can and do go together quite well; domain management can be the reason those scenes are played out. Example A: the King's High Council meeting scenes in Game of Thrones.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Yes, that's the point.

You're roleplaying a character who runs a domain, which means you either have to do the domain's bookkeeping or (if you can) foist it off onto an NPC Seneschal while you deal with the politics and intrigue.

At times they can and do go together quite well; domain management can be the reason those scenes are played out. Example A: the King's High Council meeting scenes in Game of Thrones.
I am not disputing that there are people that like this, it is just not for me but a board game version would be.

Digdude

Just a dude with a shovel, looking for the past.
Birthright has always been a big picture type of dnd game. It doesnt hide it. As written, its not for everyone. For a remake it needs to tap into the things that make us watch Game of Thrones.

My suggestion is to add more zones as potential spin-off, to be explored and settled, in the Feywild, a "hollow world", or other planets from the same wildspace.

Maybe the game mechanics about domains and bloodlines were too complex, but now we can play with tablets and apps in our mobiles.

Remove ads