• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Enough about Darksun, is there anything preventing a 5.5E Birthright remake?

Atomoctba

Adventurer
I think the downside is, most people really were never all that interested in domain level play in the first place, so a world based around domain-level play was always going to be a non-starter. Most of the groups i've had chafe against even beinging a few porters along for their adventure- most people seem to really just prefer being the PCs against the world.
As always, mileage can vary. I played a 1-year-long campaign where we were not interested in adventuring at all... Almost all the sessions were domain management, searching for proper marriage (to hone political aliances), prepare for any harsh move from Gorgon, etc... Sure, I know that for most groups, it was not very D&D-ish and probably very boring. But for our group, it was a blast.

And how is Birthtright different than any monarchy in any D&D setting ever made? Just because it spells out the birghtright while all other setting stay quite about it but still have the descendent of the king be the heir, thus ruling being his birghtright?

Quite frankly, considering all the things in FR I find all the criticism and concerns leveled against Birghtright very silly.
In the NEW RPG era only democracies can exist. All beings in a land are 100% equal and can vote.

Even Brithright is wrong: on one has a "right" to rule anyone.

Enrahim2

Adventurer
As always, mileage can vary. I played a 1-year-long campaign where we were not interested in adventuring at all... Almost all the sessions were domain management, searching for proper marriage (to hone political aliances), prepare for any harsh move from Gorgon, etc... Sure, I know that for most groups, it was not very D&D-ish and probably very boring. But for our group, it was a blast.
Yes, I think that is the issue. Birthright just do not sit well on top of D&D due to the existing associations and somewhat squeaky connections. It is presented as D&D with a domain subsystem on top, while I think it is really better suited as a domain game with a subsystem of personal attributes facilitating diving into single character roleplay.

And I think the later might have a die hard following. Granted, crusader kings might not be as popular as skyrim - but it is not exactly a fringe game either.

But if people are approaching it as another monster smashing treasure hunting setting, I think they are bound to be disappointed. Hardly anything in Birthright really support that kind of play. The other approach I have seen to Birthright domain play is as a board game, which I again think completely misses the point. As a board game the system is a real stinker.

So I think Birthright only really works well using the style you describe. But it do not appear to make a good job of educating people into this style, and hence people have had poor experiences with it.

Birthright would be perfect not only for economy strategy or citybuilder videogame, but also a "musou" where one PC faces squads of enemy armies.

And if you could play Birthright as a wargame, then D&D-One should work in something for the virtual tabletop, even maybe to develope some AI software to create and controll enemy armies.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Yes, I think that is the issue. Birthright just do not sit well on top of D&D due to the existing associations and somewhat squeaky connections. It is presented as D&D with a domain subsystem on top, while I think it is really better suited as a domain game with a subsystem of personal attributes facilitating diving into single character roleplay.

And I think the later might have a die hard following. Granted, crusader kings might not be as popular as skyrim - but it is not exactly a fringe game either.

But if people are approaching it as another monster smashing treasure hunting setting, I think they are bound to be disappointed. Hardly anything in Birthright really support that kind of play. The other approach I have seen to Birthright domain play is as a board game, which I again think completely misses the point. As a board game the system is a real stinker.

So I think Birthright only really works well using the style you describe. But it do not appear to make a good job of educating people into this style, and hence people have had poor experiences with it.
That is what I have been saying, make it a boardgame or a strategy/resource management game on computer

Enrahim2

Adventurer
That is what I have been saying, make it a boardgame or a strategy/resource management game on computer
Did you miss the part where I claimed it would be a stinker as a board game? Computer tool assistance for keeping track of the relevant data would be invaluable, but I really think the game need the roleplay element to be fun. Most of the game material for Birthright is "fluff" that provide very little to a board or computer game experience. Rather it offers a ton of stuff to play with when using the domain rules as an engine for building the context of interesting scenes to roleplay.

If Hasbro wanted, they could sell a Risk: Birthright. I doubt a Birthright: Total War because GW will want Warhammer: Total War to be exclusive. Hasbro could talk with Paradox Interactive for a licence agreement, but we know this type of meetings happen behind the curtains. Hasbro also could talk with Embracer Group. If there was good vibes with that parnership, maybe they would start to negotiate a future merger.

But we shouldn't be surprised if the atlas and geography was retouched or altered because the videogame studio needed those changes. Or maybe they are more planets in the wildspace to the the place of some future citybuilder videogame.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Did you miss the part where I claimed it would be a stinker as a board game? Computer tool assistance for keeping track of the relevant data would be invaluable, but I really think the game need the roleplay element to be fun. Most of the game material for Birthright is "fluff" that provide very little to a board or computer game experience. Rather it offers a ton of stuff to play with when using the domain rules as an engine for building the context of interesting scenes to roleplay.
I must have but that make it seem worse to me, it is a role playing game with more bookkeeping. I might be interested in a domain management game but not as an engine to roleplay scenes.
I guess, I better bow out of the conversation.

Remove ads