• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EnWorld DM to Player ratio

Do you Play or DM (and which do you prefer)

• Yes, I am a DM most of the time

Votes: 246 72.8%
  • Yes, I am a player most of the time

Votes: 74 21.9%
  • I prefer to play

Votes: 111 32.8%
  • I prefer to DM

Votes: 138 40.8%

Pinotage

Explorer
Hmmm. By the number I play in two games and DM one, so I play more than I DM. The trick is deciding which one I enjoy the most, and quite honestly I can't decide between the two. There are times when DM is fulfilling and other times when playing is. I'll sit that one out on the fence. :)

Pinotage

Narfellus

First Post
I DM all the time. I wouldn't mind be a player once in a while, but i find the GM aspect for fun. I've had players offer to DM before but it has rarely come to fruition.

freebfrost

Explorer
I would say that the vast majority of the time I am the DM and prefer it.

Two years ago I found a game to play in finally, and while it's a nice change of pace, it doesn't replace the fun I have DMing. It is more like the icing on the cake.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The poll has confirmed that most of our players are not coming to EnWorld (or at least answering this poll)

And there is still the 30% or so gap between the Yes I DM, and I prefer being the DM. Though some of it may be due to people not answering both parts of the question. Still, who are these reluctant DMs? Anyone want to speak up?

Kaffis

First Post
I am almost exclusively a player. I love rules mechanics, and game theory, but whenever I step behind the DM screen, it just feels intimidating -- I'm not the kind of guy who always thrives when put on the spot, and I feel horribly uncomfortable winging things.

Currently, I'm in heaven, though. Playing a fun character in the first campaign of a homebrew world that our DM's been kicking around the rough sketches of in his head for a long while now. I showed an interest in a few regions of the world (race, region, and one of his loosely defined prestige class organizations), and when I started prodding for some character background fodder, found out that the backgrounds for the stuff I jumped at were only vaguely outlined, and fairly open-ended. So I've been delegated to help out in filling them in, which gives me an outlet for my creative juices without having to actually run the game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads