Epic Challenges

comareddin

First Post
Hello everyone,
Our DM decided to host a one session game of pure epic violence. We are to create several level 29 gestalt characters and then battle whatever challenges he throws at us. Not having played anything that high level, I am completely lost on where to start. There is no shortage of equipment or combos, we can even equip multiple artifacts. The only restriction is that there should be some flavor to the character's fighting style and the character should not rely on some possible infinite loops.

As the level is really high, I can't expect anyone to give me any fully statted chars (although links to some would prove helpful), only some feat guidelines, spell combos and the like.

We will be battling all sorts of stuff from monsters to epic NPCs. Our DM mentioned one of the bad guys to be dual wielding +20 pandemonic long swords or such, whatever they may be...

So in general, there aren't many restrictions, the aim is to create a battle scene of pure gore.

Thanks in advance.

javcs

First Post
What's statgen like?

If it's good enough to get base stats good enough to cover some MAD, consider caster/caster or caster/secondary melee type.

What books are available?

If you have Complete Divine, consider a Favored Soul // Sorcerer, possibly PRCed to support casting, you'll want a feat to let you cast your sorc spells in armor. But make sure you have good physical stats if you go Favored Soul, they can support your melee ability if necessary.
Make sure you have miracle as a spell known.

Or go cleric // sorc, max the charisma and unleash the divine power/metacheese (via turning).

If using psionics, replace sorcerer with psion or wilder, which is a better nova-er, and doesn't care about armor.

Nazhkandrias

First Post
You know, a high-level Dragon Shaman, while it may not have a very direct role in combat, will be dang near impossible to kill, and everybody will live a hell of a lot longer. The auras will make your party nigh unstoppable at that high of a level, and I doubt that anybody will think to throw in a primary support character. Pick whichever type of dragon you like, and since you'll have so many feats, consider a Metabreath feat or two (Races of the Dragon). If you're willing to take an LA, consider a Half-Dragon Dragon Shaman (redundant, yes, but awesome).

As for PrCs, whatever works for you. Races of the Dragon and Draconomicon have some choices with distinct flavor for a Dragon Shaman.

Quartz

Hero
First off, your character is going to be 28th level, not 29th, so you have a pool of XP for casting spells. Unless your GM says that you'll have such a pool anyway.

As for the character, given your previous inexperience with such high-level characters, I suggest keeping it relatively simple: Ftr 4 / Pal 4 / Mk 2 / Kt 18 // Wiz (or Sor) 23 / Acm 5 (Arcane Fire, Arcane Reach, Mastery of Elements, Mastery of Shaping, Spell Power). Wear mithril breastplate. Take the Automatic Still Spell feat three times. We're looking for fun here, not total optimisation.

Other builds to consider: Monk // Druid, Fighter / Duellist // Bard.

Read the latter stages of Jollydoc's Age of Worms. Read Sepulchrave's Tale of Wyre.

Expect to be hit with multiple Disjunctions. Expect to cast Time Stop. Expect to cast many Wishes. Expect to have fun!

Remove ads