(Epic Cydra) Empires of Chaos

the Jester

Legend
Inoke and Gerontius move in to flank the King of Bile. The stink of ancient evil that rises from their foe almost chokes them. Gagging, Inoke strikes with all his might, invoking the greater contingency that Orbius had cast upon him weeks before to trigger a Marius’ double actions. He unleashes his full fury against the King of Bile, hammering him over and over again and pulverizing both of his hamstrings. And then Gerontius steps in, operating with the kind of precision that only he has, stabbing, slicing and slashing with his daggers.

And he unseams the King of Bile from nave to crotch.

The King collapses forward with a little gasp and moves no more.

“That’s not going to last!” shouts Alcar. He pulls forth an enormous gem that he had purchased previously for this purpose; and, hoping it is valuable enough to serve as the focus for it, he casts soul bind.

Immediately he feels a presence battling against him. Even dead, the King’s force of will is terrific. He will not be easily subdued. Alcar gasps and shudders as his spell fails.

I’ll try again, he sends over the telepathic link that the party shares.

“Look out!” shouts Sybele. “It’s coming back!” She concentrates and blasts at the Axenscion Prototype with another dangerous disintegrate, but it is undaunted and keeps moving rapidly towards the party.

Alcar steps in its way.

Cirrus rends another headless into pieces. Her spheres are ruining huge swaths of the mountain below, already weakened by eons of bile exposure. The mountain shudders and she smiles at a distant sound of collapsing stone.

Her spheres are inexorable. She attains the open air outside, and is appalled to see the demiplane of bile all around her. This place is an atrocity, she thinks. I would like to see it destroyed, but I fear that it is beyond my power. She cloaks herself from detection and circles the mountain.

Zurtneg’s prattling is just background noise to Chemnu. He ignores his brother completely, staring at the rapidly-healing Queen of Guts.

Failure is certain to mean oblivion, thinks Chemnu.

And then he disintegrates the Queen.

Unfortunately, he does not penetrate her spell resistance.

“Brother!” Zurtneg screeches. “What are you doing?!”

Continuing to ignore you, Tamult thinks. And he casts another disintegrate at the Queen.

This time he succeeds, and the Queen is reduced to dust.

“Brother!” gasps Zurtneg. “What have you done?!”

“I have just taken the crown,” replies Chemnu. “And you will swear allegiance to me, brother. Now. Or face the consequences.”

The Axenscion Prototype is a whirlwind of blades. Alcar is forced back; JJ bends reality to prevent him from being cut down. It is clear that it means to dance through the group, cutting all of them numerous times, but it is interrupted by Chaffelliox, who roars and charges into it, knocking it back and buying the rest of our heroes a brief respite. The two entities clash in a furious boil of blows, frozen stares and icy blasts of breath. The mountain shudders as Chaffelliox smashes into a wall, and larger chunks of stone start to crash down around the battle, a huge pile blocking the rest of the party from the battle with the ultimate nimblewright.

This is getting very, very ugly, Baron Lillamere sends over the noise. We need to end this.

I’m trying, Alcar snaps back telepathically. If I can soul bind the King of Bile, we’ve got this conflict in our pockets- literally. But his willpower is too strong, I can’t break him!

Maybe we can help, suggests Lillamere, and casts a maximized wish to increase Alcar’s chances of successfully soul binding the King.

“What a great idea!” exclaims Blaze. “Why didn’t I think of that??” He shouts a wish of his own, adding the press of his own will against the resistance of the party’s most terrible nemesis. He glances at the weakening Chaffelliox and adds, “We don’t have much more time! Anyone who can help, pour it on!”

Gerontius speeds in and snatches a scroll from Alcar. He reads another wish off of it, adding yet more eldritch force to Alcar’s attempt at soul binding. Then JJ bends reality again, calling out mentally, This had better work- my mind is almost depleted!

The Axenscion Prototype slashes and slashes and slashes, and Chaffelliox can feel the cold seeping out of her. Blazing heat is starting to invade her body; she knows that, for a chilblain, this is a very bad sign.

It is killing me, she thinks grimly, and creates a pair of huge ice beasts to buy some time. The Bile Lords must be destroyed! Even if I die to achieve it, if these adventurers can destroy them, it will have been worth it!

The nimblewright shatters her ice beasts in less than a second and advances, implacably, towards her.

Sybele leaps aside as another chunk of rubble crashes down and tumbles down the slope she created with her dangerous disintegrates, splashing into the bile pool far below. She looks around wildly; it sounds like the party’s strange ally is faltering, and she knows that it can’t last long against the Prototype.

Then she stiffens for an instant, as a sending reaches her. She recoils in disgust as she recognizes the voice.

Chemnu.

I can end this, and I will let you all go. Just promise that you will not interfere.

She yells back, both mentally and aloud, “F**K THAT!!” Over the link, she relates the message that she just received. Everyone is in agreement: this will end, all right- but nobody is letting anyone go. And the party still has plenty of interference left in it before all is said and done.

“Keep up the pressure on the King!” shouts Blaze. “Don’t let his soul get away!”

Alcar does not reply. His mouth is busy, uttering his prayers again, making the prescribed gestures across the great ebony gem that he is holding. Backed by multiple wishes, the gem suddenly blazes with an internal light.

“WE GOT HIM!!” screams Alcar.

Chaffelliox is faltering. Another few moments and she will be destroyed, she knows; she cannot withstand much more of the terrible attacks of the Axenscion Prototype.

Then the rubble behind her, blocking her from these strange new allies that she has found, disintegrates to dust, and a crystal hovers in the air- Sybele’s psicrystal, though Chaffelliox does not recognize it as such. The crystal shines with a clear white light, washing over Chaffelliox, and some of her wounds fade away.

“We have taken their leader’s soul, and we want to take them all out!” shouts Sybele to the chilblain.

“Your actions speak louder than words,” Chaffelliox cries back.

Then the Axenscion Prototype unleashes another thousand cuts, knocking the immense chilblain from her feet and tearing out her throat before leaping over the great corpse and stabbing Chakar in the belly. He screams and the Axenscion Prototype whirls around, decapitating the Perfect Master in beautifully clean stroke. Chakar falls dead to the ground.

“NOOOO!!” cries Sybele. “DWARF DUDE!!!”* She rushes towards his body.

The Axenscion Prototype keeps dancing its way into the midst of our heroes until it finds Inoke, and it twirls about his, slicing him in several places, slashing Sybele across the stomach, cutting back across Inoke...

It’s too fast! thinks JJ. I can barely follow it with my eyes, much less target it!

Alcar, Inoke and Gerontius move together, smashing into the prototype with all of their might. They hammer it with blow after blow, and many rebound from the thing’s defenses. Inoke unleashes a full Inoke Special, but- although it is clearly damaged- it is still standing.

Blaze considers throwing a disjunction at it, but realizes, That will probably do more damage to us than it will to it, and right now we need every bit of luck, insight and enhancement we can muster. Instead, he just grits his teeth and waits for the proper moment.

The Prototype focuses on Inoke, in his form of doom, who seems to be the biggest threat. It is single-minded in its determination and possessed of nearly unlimited destructive potential. The two of them are titans of battle, and neither one holds back.

Around them, the mountain shudders again, and more pieces of rubble start to rain down.

From outside, Cirrus guides her spheres of ultimate destruction, doing more and more structural damage to Bile Mountain. She knows that she will not escape the demiplane; she has already discerned that the epic magic locking the place against planar travel is stronger than she can overcome. But even if I die here, she thinks, I will leave the Bile Lords without a home. Savage, draconic joy fills her breast. The Bile Lords will rue the day they tried to capture her.

A slab of millions of tons of rock, sheared free from the rest of the mountain by her spheres, crashes free and rumbles down the side of the mount in a tremendous slide of breaking boulders, smashing into the ground below and bouncing around like the dice of the gods.

Whatever happens, the cloud dragon thinks, the Bile Lords will never forget my name.

Sybele reaches Chakar’s corpse. Swiftly, she grabs his head and presses it to the stump of his neck, closes her eyes, focuses- and uses psionic revivify.

The dwarf’s eyes open as life returns to him. He gasps at the pain in his neck, and slumps back to unconsciousness- but another empathic transfer brings him back around. Sybele then turns without a word and disintegrates the ground beneath the Prototype. Caught off guard, it falls into the hole she creates. It will take it only a moment to clamber back out- but Sybele follows up immediately and uses another dangerous disintegrate to annihilate a huge area just below the Prototype’s new location, hoping to knock it down into the bile pool far below.

Unfortunately, it flies.

More rubble crashes down all around the party. We need to clear this area, and very soon! Lillamere cries over the party’s link.

Inoke smashes the Axenscion Prototype, the two of them spinning around one another in the air and weaving a curtain of attacks that is almost impenetrable. Blood and metal and oil fly as each deals punishing blow after punishing blow to the other. Gerontius and Alcar swoop in to flank again, and the halfling cuts the nimblewright across its side. Smoke starts to rise from it.

Alcar tries a pair of quickened bestow curses, but neither one takes hold. Then, still in the grip of Marius’ double actions, the angel attacks with all his might, smashing the Axenscion Prototype over and over again, landing one blow after another, until finally- at last- it drops!

Without waiting for an instant, Baron Lillamere disintegrates its remains. “Let’s hope that is enough to keep the damned thing out of commission!” he shouts.

There is a sudden moment of relative quiet. The only sounds are the rumbling and creaking of the mountain as it shudders around them, being swiftly undermined by Cirrus (though our heroes are never to learn of her role in their last battle against the Bile Lords).

“Is it over?” groans Blaze. He pulls out a scroll of wish. “Now we just have to get out of here before it’s too late!”

“But how?” wonders JJ.

“Maybe the death of the Bile King will have broken the barriers keeping us here,” Wankerman says hopefully.

“Unlikely,” replies Blaze, “but it seems to be our only hope.”

Chemnu reaches the Crux Chamber just in time. I am the last, now, he thinks. Unless one of my other brothers somehow escaped. And if any of them did survive, I will have to hunt them down. Unless they will swear to me, they must all be destroyed. He grins a rictus grin. Just like Zurtneg. I wonder if this is how my predecessor took power. I wonder if he, too, had brothers before he gained the crown.

A massive cracking sound booms through the chamber. Chemnu’s sorcerously enhanced eyes pick out the shape of the gate immediately, and the complex network of forces holding it together and tying it to the epic spell that locks the mountain.

He dismisses the bindings, knowing that the fact that he is able to do so means that his former king is no longer alive. In turn, that means that the entire demiplane will implode before long without the previous King’s will to sustain it. As quickly as he is able, he intones a spell of escape, and vanishes from the collapsing demiplane of bile in a flash of light.

“Hold on a second,” Alcar cries. “We aren’t leaving anyone behind!”

He flies over to Chaffelliox’ body and casts a true resurrection on her. Suddenly the air around her grows cold again as she rears up with a roar- and then, gazing at Alcar, her tension recedes- but does not entirely abate.

“We’ve won,” Alcar says quickly.

BOOM! A huge slab of stone crashes down, taking a large chunk of the remaining floor out and plunging into the bile below.

“Where do we go to escape?” asks Chaffelliox.

“We don’t know. We were hoping you would.”

Baron Lillamere snaps, “Gather around! We have to try whatever we can!” The party clusters together, and- to their extreme surprise- they easily plane shift away.

Back to Cydra.

Chaffelliox groans in discomfort. It is so hot! A fear of brutal treachery runs through her for a moment- these are humanoids, after all, and usually their kinds are savages that see anything else as monsters to be killed- but the cheers and celebratory noise reassure her. She begins producing ice to cool herself and looks around.

Mountains- there are mountains in the distance. Snow caps them.

The others are embracing, whooping, yelling with joy. The chilblain lets herself relax. They mean me no harm, she thinks in wonder. They truly do not plan to slay me. Perhaps they will even become allies. Or even... friends.

And so our tale comes to a close. Our heroes have succeeded in their final quest. Each of them will live many more long years. None of them will find themselves in true significant danger again, until the end of each of their lives comes.

Thrush’s conquest of the Forinthian Empire proceeds, and Emperor Thrush and Empress Sybele become mighty rulers. Thrush is finally slain, ironically, by his old friend Alcar many years hence, who himself is banished to the future, where he slays the creator of the Elf-Slayer of Varzoth that will later precipitate the Age of Madness.** The Elf-Slayer itself annihilates him as its first victim. Eventually everyone dies; even Gerontius cannot hope to steal from a million-year-old dragon. Nobody truly lives forever.

But legends do. And the legends of our heroes will echo, even thousands of years later, and will call to the heroes of a distant age. There will come a time when adventurers from the far future will need the inspiration that they can only find in the legends of the greatest heroes of an earlier time- a time when the heroes of that future must seek out the lost secrets of history’s mightiest lords and ladies.

Until then- this is

THE END.

*Remember, Sybele cannot recall names.

**See the Year 272 Campaign story hour; link here.

Last edited:

Brain

First Post
Bravo my friend, Bravo. Thanks again for all your efforts in running these games for us and then writing up story hours about them. I especially enjoy finding out about stuff that we never encountered, like Cirrus.

the Jester

Legend
Bravo my friend, Bravo. Thanks again for all your efforts in running these games for us and then writing up story hours about them. I especially enjoy finding out about stuff that we never encountered, like Cirrus.

seance is the one who really ought to get a kick out of that bit. One of his very early pcs in 2e was Vrruth, Cydra's first dragonpriest, whom Cirrus eventually killed.

SpadeHammerfist

First Post
NPCs & Monsters

Do we have the stats of the monsters, etc in the last bit:
Headless,
Axenscion Prototype,
Cirrus,
King of Bile
Queen of Guts,
Doomsday Medusa,
Alpha Vomit Hound
Chaffelliox
Lords of Bile, Chemnu, etc.

We might very well have, but I just can't seem to find them...

Plus, thanks very much Jester for the best story hour I've read so far on these boards, you've kept us waiting with baited breath on occasion, but every time, it's been absolutely worth the wait!

Sandain

Explorer
Thankyou for the many many years of posting. It is the end of an era. No matter what was happening in my life - girlfriends, growing my career, moving house, travelling the world, wedding/honeymoon, moving countries - I always managed to find a PC to check your storyhours every few days and I was never dissapointed in anything you wrote.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Thank you, Jester, for that final update and the information on what they all did next. I think I've been reading your story hours since I started posting on these boards, and with the close of this one it does feel a little like the end of an era.

But I've got your new one to read, too, and that makes me happy.

Kudos to you, sir.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Excellent ending. Well done, Jester. I'm glad I got to follow this story. It has given me so many good ideas for Kulan not to mention some of your custom classes, feats, spells, etc.

Congrats to you and your players.

Remove ads