(Epic Cydra) Empires of Chaos

the Jester

Legend
Um, like, wow.

I take it everyone was aware that this was the last time you'd be playing with these particular characters?

This does mean, too, that I'm expecting to see some serious counter-measures pulled out by the party in the next few rounds. Such a shame that Lester, Horbius and some of the others couldn't be present for this climatic battle!

Yeah- we kept talking about how it was the endgame, and we played pretty loosey-goosey with a few rule calls and such.

But for the record, by "endgame" I mean "last few sessions." I wanna say that we're still 3-4 sessions from the finish. ;)

the Jester

Legend
Incredible energies are hurled back and forth. Powerful transmutation take place and are broken in an instant. Wankerman petrifies; a break enchantment later, he is back in the fight while Blaze holds the line with a series of polar rays and fireballs while Lillamere erects another wall of force to help control the battlefield. Gerontius grits his teeth and flings himself into a deadly duel with one of the doomsday medusae. His ability to trick it concerning where his attack is coming from is amazing; he throws everything into it, slipping another stab past its guard, cutting under its reaction and then hooking a blade it didn’t even see into its side. It hisses, and its eyes make pain shoot through him; so he leaps in, stabbing at its eyes, and finally fells one of them!

A group of headless tumbles in, Amnor the Bile Lord not far behind him, his wounds already mostly healed. The headless explode into action, attacking the party with incredible speed and ferocity. Amnor, on the other hand, disintegrates Lillamere’s wall and then unleashes a powerful necromantic spell at Chakar and Lillamere, but fails to penetrate either of their defenses. The Bile Lord gnashes his teeth and grimaces.

Meanwhile, the alpha vomit hound tenses and leaps towards Baron Lillamere, acidic venom drooling from its sharp-fanged maw. But the sorcerer-king waves his hand and evokes a wall of force before it reaches him, and it gives a tiger scream of frustration as it slams into the invisible barrier.

Zurtneg the Bile Lord appears from one of the shafts that the beholders disintegrated through the ceiling. With a wish, he collapses the wall of force, and the vomit hound alpha gives a triumphant howl. Baron Lillamere raises a hand to erect a new one, but a headless tumbles in and, with a swift chop to the neck, smashes his vocal cords! Lillamere gives out a choked groan as he stumbles back. Amnor, meanwhile, fires a disintegration ray at Wankerman’s spear, but narrowly misses.

Chakar pounces on Amnor. Despite the foul miasma surrounding the Bile Lord, the monk wrestles him to the ground, wraps his legs around the foul enemy’s neck, and pins him! Amnor cries out in frustration as his ego whip slides harmlessly off of Chakar’s mind blank.

As the vomit hound alpha gathers its legs to spring at Lillamere again, Sybele blasts the surrounding area to dust with another dangerous disintegrate, and the alpha drops into the bile pool below with a wail. Several headless drop, too, but those close enough to the walls have no trouble slowing their fall. A wall of force from Zurtneg flashes into existence, momentarily separating Alcar from the others, and a rush of headless pour at him, dragging him from his feet.

Inoke charges, bellowing, to his rescue, laying a sweeping strike across his foes that scatters headless everywhere. The alpha hound spews more vomit at Sybele and JJ; They respond with a pair of massive, psionic crystal shards that push it back and deal telling wounds to it. Alcar and Inoke push the remaining headless away with great blows of their maces, and then Alcar rises to his feet and rushes the nearest door, kicking it in.

“Brother, help me!” screams Amnor, who is still pinned down by Chakar. Zurtneg wheels and sneers at the sight.

“Fool,” he hisses, and casts a terrible spell at Chakar. The monk screams as his flesh begins to flow and melt like wax. He can’t maintain his hold on Amnor; the other Bile Lord squirms free and the two Bile Lords beat a momentary retreat up the shafts.

“They’re getting away!” shouts JJ.

“They’re probably getting more reinforcements,” replies Blaze.

Gerontius springs towards the struggling Chakar, whipping out a wand of restoration. Simultaneously, Inoke and Alcar spring at the vomit hound alpha. Inoke brushes aside the last standing headless as he barrels forward, and they tear into the alpha with great force! More crystal shards from JJ and Sybele smash into the beast; finally, Inoke’s last blow crushes its head and it falls.

Chakar struggles to his feet. “My gods,” he gasps, “what was that?”

“A spell called fleshflow,” replies Blaze grimly.

“I hope that never happens again!”

Blaze just nods.

“Keep sharp! Here comes the next wave!” cries JJ, as more headless and a formidable-looking nimblewright begin pouring in.

Back up. Back up, just a few short moments. Back up, and climb up. Up, far above the fight that has already begin, far above our heroes, high in Bile Mountain’s warren of tunnels, Tamult the Bile Lord sits silently in the Scarlet Cage within the Chamber of Penance. He is here to contemplate the folly of his ambition to replace the King of Bile. He will remain here until the King of Bile feels that he has learned a sufficient lesson.

That could be a very long time.

The last time a Bile Lord was consigned to the Scarlet Cage, he rested there for millennia.

Tamult broods. A few thousand years will certainly teach him a lesson, but a lesson in hate. And in caution. Show no ambition until you are ready to move. Walk alone. Once you start, you are committed to the death.

The last time a Bile Lord was consigned to the Scarlet Cage was before the Queen of Guts came to Bile Mountain. Now, he will not be surprised if the King gives him to the Queen to be made into a gutling as punishment. Even he shudders at that thought.

She has changed everything. Everything is different. She has brought a strange, ill dynamism to our King. He has become erratic. That is why he must be replaced.

Tamult silences his inner voice as the door to his chamber slides open. Chemnu stands before him.

“The adventurers are coming,” Chemnu hisses. There is no need to specify which adventurers they are. Tamult knows all too well. “The King offers to commute your sentence, if you will fight them.”

Surprised, Tamult replies, “Of course.” And he exults: My moment may yet come.

The Axenscion Prototype- the most powerful, fastest, deadliest nimblewright ever designed- dances its way through the group and deals an unbelievable amount of damage to them in only a single second. Then it whirls and prepares to do it again. Inoke is wounded badly enough that he is forced to withdraw for the moment; he is far from the only one. The party falls back away from the massive, open spaces created by the mix of dangerous disintegrate blasts and the great bile ooze cavern, returning to more cramped quarters.

A flight of aags rushes in from above, striking suddenly.

! thinks Inoke. That nimblewright is powerful!

I think it might be more powerful than the Bile Lords, agrees Alcar.

The prototype nimblewright fires a pair of rays of unmaking at Inoke. He screams, but survives.*

Then there is a terrible, loud bellowing sound from beyond one of the walls. Sounds of combat- loud, dramatic combat- boom from behind a door.

Now what? wonders Blaze.

Gerontius erects a prismatic wall to block off the Axenscion Prototype. And then the sounds of fighting get much more dramatic, as the wall and door from behind which the racket is coming suddenly explode inward as something very large, loud and, most of all, cold, comes through.

Next Time: A nice surprise for our heroes!

*He made both saves and therefore took only 124 points of damage. Had he failed both saves, he would have taken 964 points of damage instead!

Last edited:

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
You've got a bit of duplicated text:

Gerontius springs towards the struggling Chakar, whipping out a wand of restoration. Simultaneously, Inoke and Alcar spring at the vomit hound alpha. Inoke brushes aside the last standing headless as he barrels forward, and they tear into the alpha with great force! More crystal shards from JJ and Sybele smash into the beast; finally, Inoke’s last blow crushes its head and it falls.
Simultaneously, Inoke and Chakar spring at the vomit hound alpha. Inoke brushes aside the last standing headless as he barrels forward, and they tear into the alpha with great force! More crystal shards from JJ and Sybele smash into the beast; finally, Inoke’s last blow crushes its head and it falls.

But brilliant stuff! You must have been tearing your hair out trying to keep a track of all this stuff. How did you manage to, ahem, manage all these different monsters?

Nightbreeze

First Post
Ouch...the amount of damage flying on that battlefield must have been terrifying. Love your bile-guts theme. Pretty disgusting, sure, but it makes up for memorable enemies.

the Jester

Legend
Just a note for my players: Feel free to investigate the "No-Player-Lookee" thread for 3e. It's here, and includes all kinds of monsters and stuff that you guys faced, going back to when the orcish party was not quite orcish any more. :)

You can find it here.

the Jester

Legend
How did you manage to, ahem, manage all these different monsters?

To answer this, I just have to say- I spent a great deal of time prepping monsters I really liked with cool powers in the hopes that, in the chaos of everything, they'd stand out in my mind and their abilities and tactics wouldn't be too hard to deal with.

Also, the late-3e monster stat block is brilliantly useful, and it was invaluable. Except where I had critters in the old format and ran out of time to update... :blush:

As far as the psychology of the creatures- for instance, the dynamic within the evil faction involving Tamult (which the reader has just been made privy to), as well as, er, the "nice surprise" the next update includes for our heroes, and the presence of another potential ally that the party never even saw- but who drew off certain elements of the enemy force- a dragon named Cirrus- were all things that I had to brainstorm very quickly once the 'calling out' happened. Basically, I already knew about these factors, but once the pcs issued their calling out, things developed quickly as most of the Bile Lords' forces moved from their usual posts to attack our heroes. Er... well... damn, I don't want to give away too much- I'm working on the next update and don't want to spoil anything else. But basically, since I already knew the personalities and circumstances involved, when the circumstances changed, the personalities reacted in the logical, obvious fashion. Hopefully, at least some of what I'm talking about will become clear shortly.

the Jester

Legend
Back up again- but this time, not just a few minutes. Back up a few months, and back to the Material Plane- Cydra. But north, far north of where our heroes have journeyed. Go north to a frozen land of glaciers and seas half-frozen into slush, with great icebergs the size of mountains floating through the water.

This zone of brilliant white ice and sapphire waters, like any other climate, has a host of life forms within it. The air, though cold, is not too cold for all life. Hoar hawks soar through it, riding cold air currents like their cousins ride thermals. They swoop and swirl over the sea, occasionally diving to take some smaller beast from the land below them. But they stay far away from the vast blue ice floe that dominates hundreds of square miles- the Floe of Chaffelliox.

Very occasionally, a very young and brave hoar hawk will fly closer to the great floe. Almost without fail, the braveling will stay high above the weird ice, peering from raptor eyes at the strange, crystallized field below. Sometimes, they will even see Chaffelliox herself. But none is both brave enough and foolish enough to approach her.

Chaffelliox is not to be trifled with.

She is a great beast of marvelous power and inhuman power. She is of a race of creatures rare and wondrous, the chilblains. She is, in her own estimation, magnificent: far more beautiful than others of her kind. Far more powerful, having devoted decades to icecraft. She can shape the ice as she wills, and bring it to life. Her aura of frost is far colder than that of others of her kind. She is a clearly superior specimen.

Thus, the Bile Lords take her. Using agents prepared against (or immune to) cold, they capture the magnificent beast, shanghai her and haul her back to their dread lair- back to Bile Mountain. They slam her into a tight, constricted set of rooms and set guardians in place to teach her that she cannot escape. And then they make her the typical offer: serve.

She rages. She refuses. She attacks, but the guardians were chosen with her in mind, and it quickly becomes apparent that she will perish if she persists.

She retreats, and licks her wounds, and broods.

Days later, the Bile Lords repeat their offer. She refuses again, violently, but they depart and the guardian beasts rear up in warning.

She growls, and retreats to her new lair.

Over the next weeks she fills it with as much ice and snow as she can, to make it more comfortable. She refuses to consider succumbing to the demands of the Bile Lords. She will starve first. She will die. She will...

She will bide her time, as long as she can, and if she must, she will die trying to break free.

Weeks more pass. Chaffelliox begins to despair. The Bile Lords and their servants never attack, never try to slay her. They want time and inevitability to wear her down. Even if she escaped, where is she? Is she somewhere where she can survive?

She steels herself. If she cannot overcome the Bile Lords herself, if she cannot escape the guards set over her, she will die trying. When the moment is right- when they show weakness.

But when their moment of weakness comes, it is much more than she had ever hoped for.

As Chaffelliox shapes more ice beasts to amuse herself, a sudden, deep rumbling shudders through the mountain. Chaffelliox’ senses are sharp, and specialized for snowy and icy environments. She recognizes, instantly, that something has just inflicted serious structural damage on the place. There is a tumult of activity; creatures shouting, her guardians being deployed elsewhere-

That is all she needs. As soon as they are out of sight, Chaffelliox roars, sending her ice beasts ahead of her, and begins smashing her way through the very walls that confine her.

Meanwhile, up above, a group of powerful servants of the Bile Lords find themselves unable to join the fight. They are under sudden attack by another, very powerful entity that is an unwilling guest of the Bile Lords.

Cirrus, the cloud dragon.

She has been here far longer than Chaffelliox, but she is also far more patient. She has lived millennia already, after all.

When the servants of the Bile Lords realize that she is loose, that she has decided to strike even though it means her certain doom, they are caught in an agonizing moment of indecision. The King has commanded everyone to attack below, and he is completely unforgiving of disobedience. Yet, to leave her behind them, able to attack from behind or cut off their retreat-

Indecision on the part of the Bile King’s servants, in this case, gives Cirrus the crucial moment she needs to seize the advantage. She strikes from surprise, remaining unobtrusive by hiding while polymorphed into a humanoid form. Her ambush begins with a combination of twinned and heightened stun rays and a sphere of ultimate destruction.

Which also allows her to begin a rather brutal remodel of the battleground.

When Chaffelliox smashes through the wall and into view, it is immediately obvious that she is fighting against the bile-tainted monstrosities that seek our heroes’ destruction. The enemy of my enemy and all that; without exchanging a word, the adventurers and the chilblain frost lord are sudden allies.

The enemy is momentarily abashed at the sudden, and cold, arrival of Chaffelliox. Blaze takes advantage of this to use a quickened displacement and a horrid wilting.[/a] Unfortunately, the Axenscion Prototype shrugs it off and fires another pair of null blasts at Inoke. The great warrior screams in agony and falls to his knees, but he knows that his final destiny is yet to be fulfilled.

“Inoke!” cries Wankerman. He tries to move to aid his friend, but a tide of aags swoops at him, pressing him back. He stabs and parries as best he can, but they sweep over him. Inoke staggers towards him; with a roar, he smashes his mace across two of the aags in a sweeping strike, badly wounding both of them. They snarl, but before they return the favor, a mass of headless charge in, leaping to attack both of the warriors.

The ultra-powerful nimblewright fires its null blasts at Inoke again. One strikes him; the other goes wide, obliterating a wall with a huge flash of light.

That thing is going to kill us all, predicts Inoke.

The party forms a line, slaying aags and headless monks left and right. Bodies are piling up in the room; Inoke already has one foot firmly planted in the ruin of an aag.

Gerontius flits past the aags and headless, weaving just above a pair of massive, bat-like wings and then dodging beneath and between a set of legs. He tumbles out and springs into action, swinging Golemhammer, his construct-bane dagger at the Axenscion Prototype.

The construct parries his every attack.

You might be right, Gerontius replies grimly to Inoke.

“Well,” Horbin the Holy sighs after a commune, “I can’t be sure that they’re in Bile Mountain, but I can tell you that none of their souls have transmigrated to the Outer Planes.”

“You mean they’re still alive,” Thrush replies. “Or- would their souls have transmigrated from Bile Mountain, or would they be trapped there by all the tricky mountain-sealing magic they use?”

Horbin purses his lips. “That would be hard to pull off,” he says, “but theoretically not impossible. But it’s safe to say that it’s not the case here. Remember, we all came back thanks to Ten Buck Tom after we all died in the mountain before.”

“Good point...” Thrush sighs. I should have gone with them, he thinks. Sybele... please be safe.

Safe? In Bile Mountain?

She’s alive, anyway, and throwing crystal shards left and right. JJ follows up with an energy stun. Even though the aags can’t be stunned, the blast can certainly blow them apart.

Chakar is dealing with the headless in his inimitable way: kicking, punching and throwing them until they can’t get up. The dwarven perfect master is at his finest, dancing through a melee that encompasses multiple rooms, chambers and shafts, and literally dozens of enemies.

But the screams of Gerontius as the ultimate nimblewright slashes him over and over again are not encouraging. He tumbles back and away, but he is bleeding prolifically from four terrible cuts. Even his incredible skill at defense couldn’t stop its relentless assault. The halfling shakes his head. This thing is bad, bad news, he yells over the telepathic link. Don’t let it hit you!

Don’t let it shoot you with those null beams, either! cries Inoke.

“Look out!” shouts Wankerman aloud. His voice betrays a sharp edge of fear. “It’s them!

“It’s the King and Queen!!”

Indeed- stalking onto the battlefield come the horrific royalty of the Bile Lords. Standing beside his horrific bride is a fifteen foot tall Bile Lord, with aged skin dripping thick blobs of bile. Scraggly bits of discolored hair sparsely pepper the withered dome of his head. He is supernaturally thin, all skin and bones, and scarcely looks like a living thing- but he is. A noxious cloud of foul yellowish vapor with a nauseating, piss-and-vomit stink surrounds him. Atop his head hangs a barbed crown of adamantine and mithral. Next to the King of Bile is his foul Queen- the Queen of Guts. She is twelve feet tall, a head shorter than her King. She looks like a female giant whose skin has been flayed off, leaving her bright red, glistening flesh exposed. Her intestines twitch and move of their own accord, dragging on the ground behind her and around her feet, yet seemingly never tangling her. Weird stinking fluids leak from her. Her eyes are pitch black.

Alcar immediately casts a mass heal, though only Inoke and Gerontius need it badly. He is just in time, as the King of Bile fires a quickened disintegrate at Gerontius (who manages to dodge out of the way), then follows it up with a quickened destruction on him (he survives), and finally a hellball that explodes in the midst of the party.

Maybe it won’t be the nimblewright after all, Inoke says dryly over the link.

Up top, the first wave of Cirrus’ opponents have fallen, and she takes a moment to cast a mass heal on herself and assess her situation.

I’m now fully healed, the cloud dragon thinks. Evidence suggests that the Bile Lords have more important things to do than deal with me at the moment. Which means that I can carve an escape route with my sphere of ultimate destruction.

At her direction, the fuligin sphere drifts to the wall and starts to carve a passage outward.

Cirrus muses on the injury to her dignity. They looted my hoard, she thinks. Her face hardens. They will pay. I must move quickly to secure my escape, and then do what I can to disable the Bile Lords’ defenses against whatever threat is attacking them.

She evokes a second sphere of ultimate destruction and sends it, smoothly disintegrating an adjacent hole, after the first one. Soon they break out into a foul outside. Cirrus frowns, bringing her disintegrationists to rest some 20’ from her.

I’m on another plane, she recognizes at once. Very well. This complicates things.

To revenge, then.
Both spheres of ultimate destruction begin sliding straight down through the floor, disintegrating twin shafts.

Gerontius draws the prototype away from the rest of the party, but he has to keep moving very quickly so that it cannot get close enough to attack him more than once. This is quite dangerous, but it serves its purpose.

It gives Inoke an opening to charge the Queen of Guts.

Before he has time to think about what a bad idea it probably is, the slayer of Asmodeus roars and unleashes an Inoke Special.

The Queen’s guts lash out, trying to tangle him as he rushes in, but he is wearing freedom of movement and he slips them off. She tears at his legs, wounding him a little, but not nearly enough.

BAM! His first blow lands solidly on the Queen’s arm. It cracks.

BAM!! His second blow takes her on the hip, shattering it.

BAM!!! His third blow smasher her in the chest, and ribs nearly explode through her.

BAM!!!! His fourth blow crashes into her face, crushing the front of her head. The Queen of Guts falls without a chance to act!

“AAAAHHH!!” screams the King of Bile is disbelief. “YOU! I will KILL YOU!!” he shrieks at Inoke. Then, to the Axenscion Prototype: “Quickly! Retrieve her, and take her to safety!!”

Inoke’s eyes widen. The Queen is regenerating! “Uh-oh,” he mutters. Quickly, he sends this over the link.

Chakar tumbles over to the splayed form of the Queen of Guts. “Your constructs are not taking her anywhere,” the dwarf taunts as he hoists her body up.

Next Time: Is Chakar right? Will he keep the Queen out of the fight? Will our heroes survive the wrath of the King of Bile as his Axenscion Prototype?? And what will happen with those spheres of ultimate destruction?

the Jester

Legend
This thing is incredible, thinks Gerontius, tumbling frantically around the ruins of the dungeons within Bile Mountain. The tremendous forces and multiple disintegrating effects unleashed have left the area with little resemblance to its previous form. Bits of rock and gravel pour from holes in the ceiling. Huge areas of floor are completely gone.

The Axenscion Prototype breaks off its pursuit of Gerontius at its King’s command. It turns, unleashing null blasts at Sybele and Alcar. Both of them scream; Sybele falls to her knees, and Alcar convulses in the air and nearly collapses to the ground. The nimblewright whizzes past them, intent on reaching the unconscious (but regenerating) Queen of Bile and rescuing her from Chakar.

Chakar nearly pisses himself. It’s going to kill me if I let it reach me, he thinks. By the time he’s had the thought, he has already activated his boots of speed and snapped the Queen’s neck with a rainbow strike.* He knows that the party cannot afford to let the Axenscion Prototype pull her away and bring her back into the fight.

Then all he can do is brace himself as the construct flashes towards him.

Tamult the Bile Lord claws at Gerontius as he flies by, ripping furrows in his skin, and then starts to back away out of sight. “No you don’t!” Sybele cries, and with a quick motion she fires an arrow into his robe, stapling him to the floor. “You aren’t going anywhere, bad guy dude!” Then, she initiates her psionic ability to control sound, stopping the King of Bile from casting spells, or at least those with verbal components.

Inoke grits his teeth. He says, “I guess it’s time to get back to this f**king robot.” He mounts his flying harness- and he charges forward, unleashing an Inoke Special- a fully augmented psionic lion’s charge mixed with a heedless charge and everything else he can muster. He flies forward with a resounding battle cry and smashes his mace into the Prototype again and again. Two of the blows fail to do any real damage, but the other three smash it hard!**

Meanwhile, the huge, chill form of Chaffelliox rears up and continues the battle’s tradition of rearranging the innards of Bile Mountain. She smashes a wall into rubble. Chunks of the ceiling collapse down. “DO NOT SEEK TO HINDER ME!!” she roars, a warning to all the other creatures present.

She confronts the King of Bile.

Most of the Bile Lords are not in sight, and several of them are still somewhat above the fray, still descending to enter the battle, accompanied by yet more of the mountain’s inhabitants that they have roused. They are thrown into sudden disarray by the arrival of the paired spheres of ultimate destruction that plow into them from above. One of the beholders is immediately destroyed, while a hapless headless is annihilated by the other. This doesn’t stop the Bile Lords from entering the fray, but it does slow them down and draw away additional reinforcements. The remaining red-eye beholder suppresses the spheres with its antimagic ray, and the headless begin swarming up the shaft, climbing with amazing agility.

Unfortunately for them, they are met with a blast of frigid air: Cirrus’ breath weapon. Worse yet, the few that manage to hold on and attain the top find her in her true draconic form, her wrath splendid to behold.

Except, of course, to the headless, for whom it is instead quite dreadful.

Baron Lillamere brings a crushing fist of spite into being, and it smashes down at the Axenscion Prototype. The nimblewright evades at the last second, moving so fast that it’s just a blur.

And then it unleashes a thousand cuts. It begins an incredibly graceful and deadly dance, drawing line after line of blood in our heroes as it dances around and weaves through them all, slicing Inoke again and again, Wankerman several times, Chakar twice- and then it switches tactics, grabbing the Queen’s body!

“NO!!” roars Chakar. The two struggle. The dwarf wraps his legs around the Queen of Guts. The nimblewright tries to wrench her free. They wrestle back and forth violently.*** Chakar hangs on grimly as the nimblewright tries to pull the body free.

The King of Bile, meanwhile, casts a spell. Both Blaze and Lillamere recognize it- it’s an ancient spell, but one that is out of favor in the modern age: vocalize. Able to cast spells again, the King ignores Chaffelliox and starts to fly up one of the shafts that the beholders bored through the corrupted stone of the mountain. Tamult shatters the arrow holding him in place and begins to follow.

“No way!” exclaims Blaze. Rushing to the bottom of the shaft, he turns and casts upward, catching both Tamult and the King of Bile in a Mordenkainen’s disjunction! Their fly spells fail, and Tamult falls to the ground with a startled cry! The King manages to hang on to the ledge above him.

“Let’s do this again,” Sybele says, and uses another stapling shot to prevent the King’s escape.

The nimblewright finally rips the Queen away from Chakar. It springs away, though Chakar does give it a kick as it is moving away. Then it springs up one of the shafts, making good its escape.

Tamult sneers. “Fools, this will not help you!” He casts a horrid wilting that nearly kills Blaze and heavily damages everyone else.

“Yeah, well, that won’t help you,” Inoke retorts, flying in on his harness and performing another Inoke Special, this one on Tamult. The Bile Lord cannot withstand the attack, and Inoke crushes his chest. For good measure, he cleaves on the King of Bile. We’ve got to finish this before the Axenscion Prototype returns, he sends urgently over the telepathic link.

JJ, meanwhile, takes down the last headless with another crystal shard, and then attempts another psionic attack- but the chaotic nature of his powers manifests at the worst possible moment, and instead of attacking the enemy, he finds himself blasting his own mind, as well as that of Wankerman. Wankerman collapses, stunned by the attack. Chakar springs forward and dumps a healing potion down his throat.

And that’s about the point at which Alcar hurls one of the Belmax Corporation’s patented green slime grenades at the King of Bile.

It’s a simple device, really: green slime enclosed in a glass globe. Dangerously easy to carry, dangerously easy to break- and very, very dangerous as a weapon. The King of Bile begins to turn into slime.

The Axenscion Prototype reaches Zurtneg and Chemnu, who are still descending cautiously, having left their lackeys to their fates with Cirrus, above. Their eyes widen as they see the condition of the Queen.

The nimblewright gently lays the Queen’s mangled, regenerating form on the ground. “Guard her,” it orders the Bile Lords, and turns and swiftly descends the shaft it rose from.

“Things seem to be faring poorly,” observes Chemnu.

“Did you hear it?” screeches Zurtneg. “It gave us an order! How dare it!! I will scrap it when this is over!”

Chemnu ignores his brother, staring at the Queen’s body. Thinking. Calculating. Staring at opportunity.

I can’t get through his resistance! Baron Lillamere shouts telepathically in frustration. Indeed, neither his crushing fist of spite, nor the maximized disintegrate, nor the puncture manage to hurt the King in the slightest.

“I will slay you for imprisoning me!” bellows Chaffelliox, hitting the King of Bile with a cone of cold.

The King winces, tugging at the arrow pinning him for half an instant before deciding on a more immediate approach to all of his problems, starting with a finger of death at Inoke.

It shatters off of Inoke’s death ward.

The King gnashes his teeth, but then fires a quickened chained disintegrate to annihilate first the arrow holding him and then a layer of ground. He drops down to the same level as the party, and then casts a quickened fireball directly on himself, burning the slime away.

That’s a pretty good counter to the slime, Alcar admits.

Our heroes close in on the King of Bile- but the Axenscion Prototype closes in, simultaneously, on them.

Next Time: The finale!!

*This was a coup de grace

**427 points of damage came out of those three hits.

***They actually tied on their grapple checks, and we had to stop and look up what happened... defender wins!

Remove ads