• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic Dwarven Defender - What feat?

The Souljourner

First Post
I'm starting in a campaign at 20th level, going epic. I am creating a dwarven defender - F2/PsyWar8/DD10, and I'm wondering what you guys think I should take for my first epic feat when I hit 21st level. My inclination is fast healing or mobile defense, but there may be something I've overlooked.

Here's the breakdown of feats I'm thinking to take for the first 20 levels:

I get 7 for character levels and 4 from PsyWar, plus a free Specialization, plus two from fighter levels, 14 total.

EW Prof: Dwarven Waraxe (DWA)
Focus: DWA
Spec: DWA (free with PsyWar)
Endurance
Toughness
Dodge
Mobility
Spring Attack (these last two eventually for prereq of Mobile Defense)
Power Attack
Cleave
Great Cleave
Extend Power (for imp. bio feedback)
Speed of Thought
Speed of Thought (I hate slow-ass dwarves)

Plan for powers: improved biofeedback is the major reason I'm taking Psychic Warrior, the rest is just gravy.

Fast healing works damn well with imp biofeedback, since I essentially get double duty out of the healing. However, being able to move in defensive stance would be pretty damn nice as well. What do you guys think?

-The Souljourner

Kale78

First Post
Isn't there an epic feat that increases the power of the Dwarf's Defensive Stance? I don't have a book in front of me... but that might be an idea.

And also, this is non-epic, but an idea... since you're probably the tank... depending on the difficulty of what you are fighting you might want to consider Deep Impact [Psionic], that could be handy on the front line.

Last edited:

The Souljourner

First Post
Definitely going to be the tank. :) Most likely it'll be a group of 4 players. Deep impact... is that the feat that you can spend a few PSPs and get a touch attack instead of a regular attack? Not a bad idea. I'm wondering about cleave and great cleave, they rock when you're going against a bunch of low level guys... but are they really going to be worth it at epic levels?

And yeah, there's an improved defensive stance feat. It's just +2 to the 3 modifiers, making it +4Str, +6Con, +6 Dodge Bonus to AC. While that's good, I think it's less important than being able to move in defensive stance or being able to heal 3 points of damage a round. I'll certainly take it eventually (I think.. maybe), but first things first.

-Nate

Mad Gulag

First Post
Instead of Power Attack I would take Expertise (and Superior Expertise), so you can improve your defensive abilities and I think Cleave is not the best choice for a dwarven defender (because of the lack of mobility).

Remain concsious (nothing sucks more than droping to -1, -2, .... be sure to have a potion of cure serious) is a nice feat too, you only need to take Iron Will and there you go (normaly no one takes the feat because you need toughness and endurance, but those are already prerequ for dwarven defender)

Speed of thought not bad, but just grab some of boots of flying and your problem is solved.

The First Epic feat should be Fast Healing, then Mobile defense and a lot of damage reduction. When you hit level 30 your damage reduction will be around 20 combined with fast healing and remain concious its a leathel combination (when the battle is over just wait a little and you'll be as good as new)

The Dwarven Defender i play is going to take 3 levels in devoted defender, so it is easyer to "defend" the others and i can jump into harms way, even while in defensive stance (technically Harm's Way is not a move action, so it should be possible)

Last edited:

The Souljourner

First Post
Well, I like power attack, there are often times when I have a lot of excess attack bonus and really need to do more damage... you could be right about cleave/GC though. Where is superior expertise? I've heard of it but never seen it.

And boots of flying are good, but only last a couple hours a day. I think striding and springing would be better... and I'd retain two feats, which could be expertise and superior expertise... and still keep cleave and great cleave just in case (unless I figure out something better).

-The Souljourner

Mad Gulag

First Post
Superior Expertise is in Oriental Adventures, Deities & Demigods and Faiths & Pantheons.

Basically it allows you to distribute your full attack bonus to your AC instead of only 5.

Vanye

Explorer
Mad Gulag said:
Instead of Power Attack I would take Expertise (and Superior Expertise), so you can improve your defensive abilities and I think Cleave is not the best choice for a dwarven defender (because of the lack of mobility).

You can't move and cleave anyhow, so why is Cleave not a great choice? Given the implied role of the D.D., being able to attack a second foe after you drop the first is one of the best things to be able to do....

(edit to fix stupid formatting mistakes)

Last edited:

Mad Gulag

First Post
If you are in defensive stance you can't move, so the main problem is that you can't reach the other opponents.
When you have dispatched of those around you( by cleaving) you can't move to the next group of enemies (the drawback of defensive stance).
It is a better concept to stop the enemies of running past you by using feats like combat reflexes, improved trip and knockdown.

Cleave is a great feat, but considering a dwarfen defenders non existent maneuverability (only while in def stance) its only worth consideration if you
1. use a reach weapon
2. only fight in small corridors, or
3. you somehow manage to lure the enemies to you

IMO the main purpose of the dwarven defender is to stop the "tough guys" and buy your comrades enough time to kill of the weaker opponents (or flee).

It's not your job to deal an ingredible amount of damage, it's your job to take an ingredible amount of damage.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
If you're going to be the major tank, I'd go for Mobile Defense. Without it, your defensive stance is tremendously terrain-dependent. (Unless you can block off a doorway or other chokepoint, the baddies will just move around outside your reach and go after the non-melee characters.)

James McMurray

First Post
Not feat related, but I would suggest getting Claws of the Vampire and specializing in them. This makes you heal even faster, making instakill pretty much the only way to take you out.

Not sure if they exist, but feats or powers to make yourself strong against abillity damage would be very nice, since that is the true bane of the dwarven defender. The DD in my Return to the Tomb of Horrors campaign would still be alive if it hadn't been for abillity damage. Actual damage could never kill him, even without epic feats.

If there isn't a cleric in the party, I would suggest a Ring of Spell Storing that you can pay someone to cast Heal into. Nothing will annoy your DM more than finally dropping you below 50 hit points only to have you heal it all back with a haste action. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads