D&D 5E Epic Monsters: Lucifer III, Lord of Hell

Lately in Epic Monsters we’ve seen him as he falls and after he fell, and now we consider him at the peak of his power: Lucifer, Lord of Hell!

lucifer III lord of hell DnD 5e BANNER.jpg

All of the realm infernal suffers at the whims of the archfiend and he uses everything Hell can offer to wage war on Heaven and Earth, corrupting and slaying mortals and celestials alike. The Prince of Darkness is an entity of nigh unfathomable power and influence with an army of devils that number beyond count at his beck and call—any fool that dares challenge, parley, or even bear witness to the Lord of Hell is almost certainly doomed.

Design Notes: To handle the big, big, big baddest bad guy of them all, the gloves are coming off—I am unlikely to ever build anything more powerful for 5E than what follows, and any adventuring party going after him will need all the boons, all the artifacts and legendary magic items, and all the luck in the world to succeed. Plus some extra allies numbering in the thousands. This is the fallen angel but bigger, tougher to hit, more hit points (and hit points gained from traits), faster, harder to damage, able to see further, deals more necrotic damage, has unfettered magic at hand, an RP hook trait to lure foolish adventurers, higher damage output, more devastating soul sucking attack, a much higher DC and attack bonuses, another improvement on Change Shape, and finally some legendary actions (including a means to summon fiends in combat outside of gate). Let’s do the numbers! Without considering legendary actions the DMG lands the Lord of Hell at 29.833 and the Blog of Holding at a much higher 37.66. While that averages out to 33.7499, access to so many new minions and the ability to become any creature in the game merits a solid boost so his Challenge Rating is getting popped up to 35.

Lucifer III, Lord of Hell
Huge fiend, lawful evil
Armor Class 24 (natural armor)
Hit Points 290 (20d12+160)
Speed 90 ft., fly 200 ft. (hover)

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
30 (+10)​
27 (+8)​
26 (+8)​
27 (+8)​
25 (+7)​
31 (+10)​

Saving Throws Con +18, Wis +16, Cha +19
Skills Insight +25, Intimidation +28, Perception +25, Persuasion +28, Sleight of Hand +26, Stealth +26
Damage Resistances acid, lightning, thunder; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from magical weapons
Damage Immunities cold, fire, necrotic, poison; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities charmed, diseased, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned, prone
Senses darkvision 300 ft., truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 35
Languages all, telepathy 300 ft.
Challenge 35 (255,000 XP)

Corrupted. Lucifer’s natural and weapon attacks are magical. When he hits with a melee attack, he deals an extra 6d12 necrotic damage (included in the attack).

Infernal Tongue. It is impossible to tell when Lucifer is lying. Additionally, no matter what he says, magic that would determine if Lucifer is telling the truth indicates that he is being truthful, and magic cannot reveal his alignment.

Innate Spellcasting. Lucifer’s spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 27, +19 to hit with spell attacks). He can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
Constant: detect magic, freedom of movement
At will: animate dead, bestow curse, black tentacles, charm monster, chill touch, create undead, death ward, detect evil and good, disintegrate, dispel evil and good, dispel magic, dominate monster, eyebite, hellish rebuke (as a 5th-level spell), improved invisibility, invisibility, finger of death, harm, mass suggestion, plane shift, produce flame, planar ally, suggestion, teleport, vampiric touch, wall of fire
3/day each: gate, incendiary cloud, imprisonment, time stop, weird, wish

King of Darkness. Lucifer can see normally in darkness, both magical and nonmagical.

Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Lucifer fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.

Magic Resistance. Lucifer has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Regeneration. Lucifer regains 20 hit points at the start of his turn if he has at least 1 hit point.

Shadow Stealth. While in dim light or darkness, Lucifer can take the Hide action as a bonus action.

Unholy Boon. Lucifer can use his action to touch a creature, granting it infernal power in exchange for something precious to it. For the next 24 hours, each round the creature can roll 1d12 and add it to any ability check, attack roll, or saving throw it makes.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. Lucifer uses his Frightful Presence. He then makes three melee attacks or he uses Soulsucking Touch and makes two melee attacks.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 28 (4d8+10) slashing damage plus 39 (6d12) necrotic damage. The target's hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the necrotic damage taken, and Lucifer regains hit points equal to that amount. The reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0. If a humanoid is slain in this way, a fiend (with a CR equal to its CR + 3 or its level + 2) rises from the corpse 1 minute later. If a deva, planetar, or solar is slain in this way, a new fallen angel rises from the corpse 1d4 minutes later.

Frightful Presence. Each creature of Lucifer's choice that is within 300 feet of him and aware of him must succeed on a DC 27 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to Lucifer’s Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.

Soulsucking Touch. Lucifer reaches out at a creature within 50 feet that he can see, drawing away its life force. The target makes a DC 27 Charisma saving throw or reduces its Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores by 1d8 (roll separately for each). On a failure by 5 or more, the target rolls d10s instead. The target dies if this reduces an ability score to 0. Otherwise, the reduction lasts until the target finishes a short or long rest. If a humanoid is slain in this way, a fiend (with a CR equal to its CR + 3 or its level +2) rises from the corpse 1 round later. If a deva, planetar, or solar is slain in this way, a new fallen angel rises from the corpse 1 minute later.

Change Shape. Lucifer magically polymorphs into any creature that has a challenge rating no higher than his own, or back into his true form. Lucifer reverts to his true form if he dies. Any equipment he is wearing or carrying is absorbed or borne by the new form (his choice).

In a new form, Lucifer retains his alignment, hit points, Hit Dice, ability to speak, proficiencies, Legendary Resistance, lair actions, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores, as well as this action. His statistics and capabilities are otherwise replaced by those of the new form, including any lair actions of that form.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
Lucifer can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. He regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.
  • Attack. Lucifer makes a melee attack.
  • Spell (Costs 2 Actions). Lucifer innately casts a spell.
  • Conjure Fiend (Costs 3 Actions). Lucifer summons a fiend of challenge rating 15 or lower, which appears in an unoccupied space that he can see within 90 feet. The fiend disappears when it drops to 0 hit points. It obeys any verbal commands that Lucifer issues to it (no action required by him). If he doesn't issue any commands to the fiend, it acts freely.

Last edited:

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Truesight needs a range. If the range is 300 feet then that would also cover darkvision.

Nice write up. It would be suicide for a party to go up against this guy without a whole lot of magic and divine aid.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Truesight needs a range. If the range is 300 feet then that would also cover darkvision.

Nice write up. It would be suicide for a party to go up against this guy without a whole lot of magic and divine aid.
Right you are! I errantly thought this edition dropped true sight range and actually pulled that right before posting this morning but sure enough it's there in the SRD. Fixed!

dave2008

Legend
Thanks Mike, this is definitely more my style; however, I still think it could use more HP. I understand you gave it all of these methods to regenerate and it has a lot of resistances. However, I've heard of high level parties doing 500 hp of damage in one round. So I feel he needs some help in that department. Other than that it looks great. Thank you for the whole series.

Also, regarding @Quickleaf 's suggestion, I remember given a devil lord a power that cursed a victim with ongoing psychic damage. The only way to remove the damage was to defeat the devil or willingly attacked and damage an ally.

Hoffmand

Explorer
If I would do a Biblical human. I think Jacob must be a badass. He wrestled with an angel. And held out til dawn. That has to make him the most underrated Badass in the Bible. Imho.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Something like "Unholy Boon. Lucifer can use his action to touch a creature, granting it infernal power in exchange for something precious to it. For the next 24 hours, each round the creature can roll 1d12 and add it to any ability check, attack roll, or saving throw it makes."? Also he's got three wish castings each day to entice folks to make deals with him.

Do you mean the Pooh Bear GIF or the use of classical artwork of Lucifer in the Epic Monsters banner?

I dunno if thats enough, this version of The Devli is missing that overwhelming horror vibe that I’d want big D to have.

As I said for version 2 The Devil should be more about Temptation and Damnation than Physical prowess (I’d drop his Str and up his Wis accordingly). This Devil feels more “I’ll tear out your intestines via your throat” than “I’ll damn your immortal soul

Maybe if the Frightful Presence duration was extended longer than 1 minute and was reskinned as something like Incapacitated with ‘overwhelming despair’ rather than “you’re frightened for a minute take disadvantage on your ability checks”.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases