• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic Spells

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I think an infernal's will save (+30) is a problem. Jake at level 33 has a Spell DC of 23 + spell level (possible +2 GSF). That's with a +8 headband, though. If a +16 headband cost 919,200 (or even 100,000 more) he could afford it at 36th level. That would make his spell DC 37, or 39 with GSF. Still a trifle low; the infernal will save more than half the time.

You have the casting time modifier as -10. My records indicate it is a -15. Did it get changed? What are the modifiers for a week or a month?

I suspect that it would be better to research a specific [call] (with the -10 modifier for a specific individual), and after the Infernal has arrived, cast a [binding]. That way you don't have to spend the 12 SP for the secondary factor or the +8 SP for the binding component. This would save up 30 points, so you don't need xp or gp factors. You might have to try it two or three times before it works (learned spell immunity doesn't kick in if the infernal makes her save, does it?), but that's fine if there is no cost. Or you could pay 36,000 gp and 2500 xp to get 16 points in factors, enough to heighten the save DC by +8. Then it would probably work fine.

The next day you cast binding, and you can spend another 36,000 gp and 2500 xp. The ritual component counts double, which will help raise the spell to the no-save level. In fact, I think the fact that it is a separate spell makes it cheap enough that the ritual component is enough to put it over the top. I wonder why I made [binding] reference hit dice rather than CR for the no-save business. Should it be CR, do you think?

So two spells, on two separate days, is better than trying to do it all at once.

And the ritual casters should be contributing a conjuration spell, shouldn't they?

Simul-posted!

You have the casting time modifier as -10. My records indicate it is a -15. Did it get changed? What are the modifiers for a week or a month?

I assumed:

full round = -2
minute = -4
10 minutes = -6
1 hour = -8
1 day = -10

Otherwise, the points you make are all good.

The original infernal oracle was to call a pit fiend; I changed it to an infernal on a whim this morning, to see if it was viable. Probably not until 60th-level or so.

And the ritual casters should be contributing a conjuration spell, shouldn't they?

Dunno - I pose that in the intro. We can rule either way on this.

GraysonEN

First Post
(From the end of the Retooling Epic Item Costs thread)

Cheiromancer said:
I don't remember anymore, but when casting an ELH spell, can you take 10 on your skill check? If so, then it shouldn't be that hard for a wizard to devise a spell that gives a modest penalty to Spellcraft checks in an area- this would gravely hinder most epic spellcasters, who, when they take 10, generally succeed by only a point or two.

Yes, you can. By core rules, it's just a straight Spellcraft check, so you could take 10 whenever you normally could (not threatened, etc). Additionally, from the SRD:

"When casting an epic spell, the character gains a +5 bonus on his or her Spellcraft check if the base seed of the epic spell is from the character’s arcane school specialty or primary psionic discipline. The character takes a -15 penalty if the epic spell seed is from his or her prohibited arcane school."

Not sure how that'd convert into your system, but it's something to keep in mind.

Remove ads