• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Equipment Damage and Duration Rules

Erechel

Explorer
Hello, people. As you may know, there are plenty of complex systems for adjudicating damage and wear to the weapons, armor and clothes that the adventurers' use. Most of these systems are very complex and bothersome to use, as they don't abstract enough this feature and make it difficult to track. The vast majority track items individually, asigning them damage based on specific use or maneuvers, such as Sundering, or complex tracking of every missed hit by a margin enough to hit armor or shield.
And that kills the possible interest on a system that tracks item attrition. And the system don't get used.
But, nevertheless, adding this type of attrition can be very interesting, and has a lot of potential, as you can add things like weapon quality without necessarily messing with combat. You can also give an answer to the eternal "looting the bodies of the enemies" without messing too much with the economy of the adventurers, cotrolling the influx of new weapons that characters can sell. You can also increase the value of certain items, and degrade the costs of others: those pesky dwarves have a great equipment, but those filthy orcs have miserable armors.
Of course, I'm not claiming that my system is overall perfect nor realistic. It isn't. It is a necessary abstraction to make the duration rules playable. And the numbers are fairly simple (eg: a common plate armor has 18 duration points, the same as the AC provided; and a common longsword has 8 DP: equal to its maximum damage. Other equipment, such as shields, haven't that "easy" value, but they generically last for 7 fights unless they are of better or worse quality.), although they add a whole new level of (fairly simple: you only need to count the number of battles the characters fight and substract it from the Duration Points of every item) bookkeeping . But the DM can also complicate things, and adjudicate ad hoc duration loss.

Give it a try. It has been playtested with novate players, and it works fairly smooth. You only have to download the pdf (you can download it for free, although 50 cents would be very appreciated: I have a son to feed). You can also use it on earlier versions of D&D or even Pathfinder, as it is fairly generic.
Link

intently

Explorer
How about a simple gp fee based on armor type and damage taken? E.g.:

- heavy armor: 5gp per HP damage taken
- medium: 3gp per hp
- light: 2gp per hp
- no armor: 1gp per hp

Throw the item away if it takes more to fix than buy new.

Bawylie

A very OK person
An idea I'm toying with. A natural 1 on an attack is a crit, but also breaks the weapon being wielded.

At a player's option, a crit against them can do No Damage, but break their armor, instead.

-Brad

Shiroiken

Legend
An idea I'm toying with. A natural 1 on an attack is a crit, but also breaks the weapon being wielded.

At a player's option, a crit against them can do No Damage, but break their armor, instead.

-Brad
I threw together a quick weapon/armor durability rules before that was somewhat similar. If you rolled a 1 on the attack, you damaged your weapon, but if you rolled a 20, you damaged their armor. The amount of damage it could take before breaking was based on the weapon/armor's material, so you could have poor weapons (bronze, bone, etc.) and durable ones (mithril, adamatine, etc.). Broken weapons dealt half damage and broken armor provided only half the AC bonus. but a trip to the smithy or the mending cantrip would fix them right up.

Bawylie

A very OK person
I threw together a quick weapon/armor durability rules before that was somewhat similar. If you rolled a 1 on the attack, you damaged your weapon, but if you rolled a 20, you damaged their armor. The amount of damage it could take before breaking was based on the weapon/armor's material, so you could have poor weapons (bronze, bone, etc.) and durable ones (mithril, adamatine, etc.). Broken weapons dealt half damage and broken armor provided only half the AC bonus. but a trip to the smithy or the mending cantrip would fix them right up.

I guess the X factor for all these is whether what we get out of durability is worth the extra rule layering.

And as we increase complexity, are we increasing the benefits?

Say we get some sense of real-ism out of this. And probably a use for the mending spell and smith's tools. Also gold gets more value if something needs replacing. Do we get anything else? Not sure.

What's our cost? Bookkeeping, maybe some sort of rules adjustment. Players may be annoyed if they hate bookkeeping more than they value the real-ism.

So is it worth it? Are you happy with your tradeoff?

-Brad

schnee

First Post
This is the sort of creeping complexity that led to AD&D.

What I mean, is sure, it sounds neat, and it's fine if it's the only thing like it, but that line of thinking inevitably leads you start to add a few more of these, and before you know it, you get a lot of extra bookkeeping. Each one is different, and eventually you find it cumbersome and drop it.

Take what I say from someone who's made more than his fair share of house rules. I think it's more 5e to have a simple dynamic that is more abstract, easy to remember and doesn't require constant bookkeeping. Maybe try a different mechanic?

Remove ads