Eric Noah's Info

Spell

First Post
JohnRTroy said:
Sadly, because of the OGL, this may allow the game to survive, but it will become factionalized.
... as if it was one single monolithic game right now... (you might say that everyone always had his house rules, but at least, there was a single sytem. now: D&D, d20 modern, true20, OGL, midnight, C&C...)

helium3

First Post
Razz said:
I stop at 3.5E because I refuse to buy 4E only to know a few years into 4E they're going to just start working on 5E. I don't care howe many times better 4E is, because I personally don't see what else they can do in 4E that you couldn't accomplish in 3.5E with 3rd party products, Dragon Magazine, Unearthed Arcana, and house rules. Plus all of my players will just be really angry, probably even quit the game entirely, if we moved to another edition.

The only serious reason for a customer to reject an edition change is if the costs involved in moving from one edition to another is too high. The only way that the RPG business is going to be able to permanently move to a "periodic edition release" business model is if they decrease the price of the cost of an edition change to the point where they gain more customers than they lose with each edition change. If you can figure out how to do that then you'll know what 4E is going to look like.

Henry

Autoexreginated
The only thing I know FOR SURE....

...is that one speculation from Eric by a trustable source just made Gencon a heck of a lot more interesting.

fett527

First Post
Henry said:
The only thing I know FOR SURE....

...is that one speculation from Eric by a trustable source just made Gencon a heck of a lot more interesting.
Grab the torches and pitchforks and storm the WotC booth!!!!!

ST said:
Wow, interesting story. I personally am all for it. I figure combining D&D's name recognition with some kind of easier pick-up-and-play structure (like minis, or CCGs, or even board games) could give it some kind of mainstream audience.

Strangely enough, so am I. I wrote a tournament adventure for Gen Con within the past week. Last week I made the design decision to reduce a lot of the rules to cards for the DMs to prop up for players to see, or to pass out as needed. Then along comes this thread. I think we're already thinking in that direction. Logically. (So the real heroes here are who? Fiery Dragon? The guys at TSR who thought up the old Monster Cards? Or some nameless Italian who imported pasteboard cards from the Muslims? ;) )

I've never understood the anger about having to buy the new books, or losing your investment in old version supplements, personally. I'm into gaming to game, not to collect.

That I'm not worried about. I budget, and I buy books as needed. As noted upthread, 4E means I just wait to get discounted copies of the rest of the current product that I want.

No, what a new edition means to me is a loss of mastery. Monte Cook wrote about this. As gamers, we like to know the ins and outs and all abouts of the rules. People are bewailing the potential loss of their success at knowing the current rules. I still suspect many of us (myself possibly among them) will buy the new edition and figure it out. Not likely in my case if it's not including Open Game Content though.

fett527 said:
They published spell cards for 2E. Big boxes with cards for each spell. I don't remember using them a lot but I thought they were useful. Not the same concept really since they all came in one big box (as i recall they came as Priest Spells and Arcane or along those lines)but they have been done.

Oh, I'd shell out for a box of spell cards... the ones in 2nd edition were great, and I've printed out ones for my 3rd edition game. But RANDOMIZED spell cards, treasure cards, etc are just so alien to my way of thinking on how a RPG should be run, I just cant grasp how they would think it could meet mass approval. If people arent lining up to pay 20 bucks for a players handbook which contains ALL the spells, why the hell would they pay 6 bucks for a pack of 10 random spells?

I honestly dont think we have to worry about something like that. And if Bizarro World invades our own, and something like this DOES occur, I wont be worrying anyways... since I wont be using it.

Remove ads