Eric Noah's Info

PatrickLawinger

First Post
EricNoah said:
Nope.

Let me point him to this thread. If he's able to post anything maybe he will, and head this whole fruitless discussion off at the pass. :)

I wouldn't have high hopes of that. Generally, an employee making announcements for a company such as this without "permission" is a no-no and could threaten their job. That is why I couldn't say "<> says X is completely wrong" when I posted a reply several hundred (thousand now??) posts ago.

I think it is a shame that this got reported as "news" when Eric has already stated that he didn't intend for it to be. It certainly has kicked up the hype some. Now, if True 20 and CnC sales take off, maybe Green Ronin and the Troll Lords need to buy Eric a nice bottle of scotch ...

I figure this should hit 1000+ posts by the next time I glance at the boards ;).

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
EricNoah said:
Well here's some more...

I just heard from a high-up at WotC. He says the info is so wrong that he suspects that my source is out to torpedo "my reputation" by giving me something this far off the mark.

I trust my source's intentions, though as I've said earlier my source could be misunderstanding something, or I could have misconstrued something.

Hopefully if the WotC person doesn't mind outing himself he could post here to verify and share what info he is allowed to share.

In any case, I responded to him as I respond to all of you: I'm out of the "D&D scoop business" and so this is the last you'll hear from me on anything 4E related.

Well, that doesn't necessarily negate my own prediction of what might be in store for 4E. :)

Mark CMG said:
I'm thinking we're going to see new products along the lines of -

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060317a

- packaged with the appropriate miniatures and broken out by ELs or CRs. Very modular, smaller packages that have a component that appeals to collectors. As they get a better picture which ELs and CRs are being most used, they can focus on churning them out. Larger packages would put strings of such encounter packages together. They can handle the core books and collectable stuff themselves and license out the stuff that doesn't move in great volume, the niche stuff that 3.x third party pubs have been doing through this edition.

Anyway, that's my guess at one possible scenario of what WotC might do with the future of D&D.

Still . . .

fafhrd said:
Dueling WotC insiders...Sounds like the ettin's right head doesn't know what the left head is doing.

Testing among future gamers showed that the ettin was too complex, so it only has one head in the redesign. ;)

EricNoah

Adventurer
If nothing else, this conversation is a good way for WotC to see what some of the fears are.

The fears seem to be that a) we won't be warned of the approach of a new edition in a timely manner, b) a new edition will be more closed off than the current edition is and thus 3rd-party publishing will suffer, c) too-tight a tie between D&D "hardware" and "software" and the feeling that we might be strong-armed into buying stuff we don't want*, d) changes to the game might not be driven by the needs of current players, but by the needs of a future potential market.

I think they're reasonable worries. I think WotC can address these early on even if they can't be specific about timelines, etc.

* Remind me to tell you about my last computer purchase. I had to spend $30 to NOT get a printer when I bought a computer and a monitor. Blech!

Koewn

Explorer
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
ROFL.

Heh... an ettin with only one head smells twice as bad and only tastes half as good.

The hydra's getting nerfed, I'll tell ya that much.

And the Chimera? Not so chimeric anymore.

GVDammerung

First Post
EricNoah said:
Well here's some more...

I just heard from a high-up at WotC. He says the info is so wrong that he suspects that my source is out to torpedo "my reputation" by giving me something this far off the mark.

I trust my source's intentions, though as I've said earlier my source could be misunderstanding something, or I could have misconstrued something.

Hopefully if the WotC person doesn't mind outing himself he could post here to verify and share what info he is allowed to share.

In any case, I responded to him as I respond to all of you: I'm out of the "D&D scoop business" and so this is the last you'll hear from me on anything 4E related.

Sounds like someone was treated to "a whiff of grapeshot," or its near cousin, which can be uncomfortable. Its not nice to tell Wotc's secrets.

fafhrd

First Post
Think bigger Mark!

righthalf.jpg
lefthalf.jpg

EricNoah

Adventurer
Wow, when I said "smaller packages of info" that's not what I had in mind! Having to buy each half of an ettin separately would indeed be a problem.

Remove ads