WotBS Errata for WotBS #1

John Doom

Explorer
Page 20 - Insight Check:

Although the DC has changed to DC 12 instead of DC 7 like it is on page 15 (Convincing Shealis), the text is verbatim.

"An argument can be made that regaining the case will help protect Shahalesti because Gate Pass will be able to stand against the Ragesians. The first successful Insight check will also reveal that an Intimidate check will always fail"

Not that we're probably going to come into this in my next session (we totally will, please help), but has this been resolved and I just missed it?

merchantsteve

Explorer
Not that we're probably going to come into this in my next session (we totally will, please help), but has this been resolved and I just missed it?

Other than that the check should be DC 12, I'm not sure where the issue is.

If the hero succeeds using his Insight skill in the challenge, he gets the sense that Shealis will consider giving them the case because learning its secrets helps the Shahalesti too. Depending on how you play skill challenges, you can give the player the information and he can roleplay it in a conversation, or you can just tell the player that his hero has this incredible flash of insight and tailors his argument around something that Shealis could accept.
The hero also gets a vibe that she will not respond to threats and intimidation and that using any Intimidation on her will fail. Of course, if they already used Intimidation on her, they already know that part.

Consider that a social skill challenge is run from the hero's perspective, but its resolution is from the target's point of view. The result may not be the hero's expectation, but will advance the story. The party wants to gain physical possession of the case, so the challenge is the heroes' attempt to secure it and their arguments fall along that line. Shealis has a duty to not do that, but will listen to the party as they try to wheedle it from her, and she sees a few intelligent nuggets in their arguments. In the end, she offers a bargain where both sides come out as winners --- She keeps the case, but Lyceum gets involved in its investigation.

Just because Shealis places conditions on having the case in Shahalesti control at the end does not mean that the Insight is invalid --- the hero thought that his argument was good and it was, just not in the way he thought. The check was just one of 8 that helped her understand that Lyceum may be helpful in deciphering the contents. That is the important part of this challenge.

About the map to the hideout:
If the party wins without a fight, sometime during the aftermath of the challenge, Shealis goes to the kitchenette and offers a drink so they can talk more about the Ragesian threat and the party's adventures thus far (she is an ally at this point), and the map is just sitting there for anyone to examine (no DC needed. Shealis has dropped her guard). The hero can just glance at it and gain the information he needs to find the hideout's location without any roll. If the hero picks it up then roll a DC 12 Thievery to tuck it away before she turns around. If the scroll is taken, her anger may be a late discovery after the party has left (she discovers the map missing), or she can make a DC 20 Perception check while they are talking to notice that it is absent. She'll be angry at the heroes, but she has made a deal and won't break it. Remember that she is herself a spy and stealing stuff is something spies do. As long as she is convinced she is still winning, she will stick to her bargain.

Getting the case to Lyceum: One way the case can be returned to Lyceum is through Shalosha. She can receive the case from Clathan while the heroes are running around in the Fire Forest and brings it to the council in Adventure 3 with a note from the wizard that says he thinks it is best to let Lyceum have it. He also mentions Shealis' thanks to the heroes for their help. Katrina will be impressed when the Shahalesti princess mentions the party in front of the council.

Last edited:

Admiral Caine

First Post
Very very minor..

Page 36 and 37 on Torrent's stat blocks.. there is is something called "Power Melee".

I think you meant the "Power Attack" feat?

I guess 90% of the readers should look right at that and know right away what you meant. I don't mean to be pedantic. But for the sake of newbies and overall consistancy to WOTCs rules.. if you ever do another revision you might want to tweak that as well.

Admiral Caine

First Post
Again.. Very minor.

I'm surprised I didn't catch this myself.

On the same page.. Torrent is a "Controller" class in the Leader Role.

I think meant Cleric, in the Leader Role.

Not important, but next time you update you might want to catch that.

I believe Torrent was designed as a 'monster,' not a classed NPC, so she doesn't have a class or feats. I think they made her a Controller (with the leader subtype) and just gave her a special ability that equates to Power Attack.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Very very minor..

Page 36 and 37 on Torrent's stat blocks.. there is is something called "Power Melee".

I think you meant the "Power Attack" feat?

I guess 90% of the readers should look right at that and know right away what you meant. I don't mean to be pedantic. But for the sake of newbies and overall consistancy to WOTCs rules.. if you ever do another revision you might want to tweak that as well.

She's an NPC, so uses the Monster Manual style stat block. Therefore she doesn't have feats (very different to 3.5) - and we can't redefine terms according the the GSL, so we can't say "Power Attack" unless we mean the feat. So it's basically an NPC ability called "Power Melee" which is along the same lines but doesn't violate the GSL or involve giving an NPC stat block a feat it can't use.

Again, with the "Controller" vs. "Cleric" - as an NPC she doesn't have a class, just a stat block. While fluff-text-wise she is presented as a "cleric", she's not one - she merely has a stat block, like all NPCs and monsters in 4E. Monster roles differ from PC classes (controller, lurker, skirmisher, etc.)

Last edited:

Admiral Caine

First Post
She's an NPC, so uses the Monster Manual style stat block. Therefore she doesn't have feats (very different to 3.5) - and we can't redefine terms according the the GSL, so we can't say "Power Attack" unless we mean the feat. So it's basically an NPC ability called "Power Melee" which is along the same lines but doesn't violate the GSL or involve giving an NPC stat block a feat it can't use.

Again, with the "Controller" vs. "Cleric" - as an NPC she doesn't have a class, just a stat block. While fluff-text-wise she is presented as a "cleric", she's not one - she merely has a stat block, like all NPCs and monsters in 4E. Monster roles differ from PC classes (controller, lurker, skirmisher, etc.)

I see. Sorry about that. I've read 4E, but don't have 'daily' experience with it.

sfedi

First Post
Trying to help.
Dead rising encounter was almost a TPK for my party. I realized that the Boneshard Skeletons have 3d6+4 damage burst and their boneshard damage attack is 1d8 +4.
I looked up the monster manual and i checked the damages: 2d6+3(burst) and 1d4+3(boneshard attack). As both creatures are lvl 5 and I don't see any significant difference that compensates that damage, I suppose it's an errata.
Something similar happens with the dwarven wight. You changed the original skirmisher wight into a soldier one. That is ok, but I feel that the soldier is much more tougher than the skirmisher.
Same here.
I've ran that encounter twice.

First, huge mistake on the party. TPK, not even one enemy was bloodied.
Second, almost perfect tactics, TPK.

Checking the numbers I've found differences other than nanmaniac's.

Decrepit Skeletons:
- are doing 6 instead of 4 damage
Although their main damage dealing should be done through crossbows attacks (as mentioned on the Tactics section); so this shouldn't be a huge issue.
Tip: don't throw them into melee, the exploding skeletons will waste them :)

The Dwarven Wight:
- dealing 2d6+ damage when it should be doing 1d6+4
- defenses as Soldier, powers as Skirmisher

Dwarven Boneshard Skeleton: the more important differences are the damage from Dwarven Boneshard and Dwarven Boneshard Burst, which should be reduced in both cases.
Some of the other numbers are a little bit low and others are a little bit high. But they tend to even out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases