D&D 5E Escalating Conflict: a House Rule to curb the amount of death in D&D

teitan

Legend
I play a Lawful good paladin. We had two combat encounters, out of five possible combat encounters. One combat encounter we saw an NPC coming and we knew that we were in a race with an evil NPC party but I was able to use my persuasion skill to convince this unknown person to assist us with some Bullywugs. He became a member of our party as we entered the tomb of an adventuring party that was also thee location of a cursed sword. In there we came across a mite that rode a raccoon and I again... roleplayed through the encounter to acquire their assistance in the adventure and achieve our goal. The amount of death in D&D is directly related to the play style of the DM, firstly, and the players, secondly. Rules to mitigate this playstyle aren't necessary as the XP system is there for overcoming encounters, not killing monsters. Even a Lawful Good Paladin shouldn't go around smiting something that's evil unless it is an unredeemable evil like undead or demons. That's kind of the point of Lawful Good. Superman doesn't smite and kill everyone that disagrees with his world view, nor does Wolverine as the Paragon of Chaotic Good. That's Batman's schtick as Lawful Neutral.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I play a Lawful good paladin. We had two combat encounters, out of five possible combat encounters. One combat encounter we saw an NPC coming and we knew that we were in a race with an evil NPC party but I was able to use my persuasion skill to convince this unknown person to assist us with some Bullywugs. He became a member of our party as we entered the tomb of an adventuring party that was also thee location of a cursed sword. In there we came across a mite that rode a raccoon and I again... roleplayed through the encounter to acquire their assistance in the adventure and achieve our goal. The amount of death in D&D is directly related to the play style of the DM, firstly, and the players, secondly. Rules to mitigate this playstyle aren't necessary as the XP system is there for overcoming encounters, not killing monsters. Even a Lawful Good Paladin shouldn't go around smiting something that's evil unless it is an unredeemable evil like undead or demons. That's kind of the point of Lawful Good. Superman doesn't smite and kill everyone that disagrees with his world view, nor does Wolverine as the Paragon of Chaotic Good. That's Batman's schtick as Lawful Neutral.
This is true, and also mechanics can help tell a certain story.

Remove ads