Espionage Stories

Captain Tagon

First Post
Hey guys, thanks to everyone for the science-fiction reading suggestions, I've got a nice long reading list now to keep me busy for a while. However, I just found out from a friend of mine that he's going to be starting up a Spycraft game in a couple of weeks after we all get settled back in at school. So I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on good source material for a spy game. It can be books, film, comics, manga, whatever, just so long as it'll help get me in the right mindset for some good espionage action.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
The James Bond novels of Ian Fleming. Fleming is a GREAT writer and those books are some of the best genre pieces ever done. They're very different from the movies -- and for my money, much, much better. Bond is one of the more fascinating characters in literature -- he's insecure and cruel and passionate and romantic and anal-retentive and reckless and a whole mess of contradictions and neuroses that, as Fleming points out, makes him a screwed-up person but a great spy.

Start with Fleming. He's AWESOME.

Go on to Le Carre -- but you only need to worry about three books: The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People. Le Carre is also a great writer who has an inside track on espionage methodologies and can really show you the petty sorts of motivations and betrayals that go into espionage. Especially good for darker, grimmer sorts of stories, but so full of details on how espionage is actually conducted that they're really unmissable.

Robert Ludlum wrote a lot of good spy-based adventure yarns: The Osterman Weekend is a good one.

Frederick Forsyth's novels: The Dogs of War and The Day of the Jackal are required reading. Forsyth takes you into the unsavoury worlds of paid assassins and mercenary soldiers, and shows you all the details of fake passports, shell companies, sneaking stuff through customs, all sorts of stuff. Really great books.

That'll get you started.

Wombat

First Post
Le Carre.

I can't say enough for him. Not only is he a splendid writer, but he gives you the very real sense of what it truly means to be a spy -- the layers of lies you surround your life with, the institutionalized paranoia, the difference between people who merely work for the agency (the quadruple checkers of minor bits of info who get to go home and actually have lives) and those who live and breath the agency, those who can never fully or truly retire.

This is true spycraft.

Dark Jezter

First Post
The Cardinal of the Kremlin by Tom Clancy remains one of my favorite spy novels ever. Other Tom Clancy novels worth checking out for their espionage content are Clear & Present Danger and Debt of Honor, which prominently feature a character known as John Clark who is a veteran CIA field officer.

Ian Fleming's Bond novels are decent reads, but like Albert R. Broccoli (the guy who produced the majority of the 007 movies) I've never been overly impressed with the literary Bond. The movies are much more memorable.

ajanders

Explorer
True Stories

The Man who Never Was
A description of Operation Mincemeat. Eric's grandmother forbids me saying more.

ALL of Carlos Marighella: know thy enemy.

Abby Hoffman's "Steal this Book".

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases