Essentials Magic Missile

Phaezen

First Post
Grabbed this from [MENTION=3586]MerricB[/MENTION]'s blog where he links to the following slide

The most interesting thing is the change to Magic Missile from the previous update.

MerricB said:
Magic Missile - Wizard Attack 1, at will, Ranged 20.
Target: 1 or 2 creatures
Effect: 2 + Int modifier force damage
Special: You can use this power as a ranged basic attack

Target is now 1 or 2 creatures.

Aegeri

First Post
The encounter power miss effects were interesting as well. Burning hands was obvious, half damage on a miss but some of the others were quite good. One prevents a creature from charging and a few others seemed to have effects. I do wonder how this will affect the balance of controllers overall, looks like Wizards are getting a pretty substantial boost.

nnms

First Post
Grabbed this from [MENTION=3586]MerricB[/MENTION]'s blog where he links to the following slide

The most interesting thing is the change to Magic Missile from the previous update.

Target is now 1 or 2 creatures.

Nope. Just in red box. In heroes of the fallen lands and the compendium, it's going to remain as a single target. The red box went to print with an earlier version than what they finally settled on.

This is confirmed in the critical hits podcast where they play redbox at gencon.

jbear

First Post
That makes Magic Missile a very strong power. Two Minion Auto Kills no matter where they are in relation to each other, despite whatever cover they have. Also for finishing off those last hps on a badly wounded enemy. It just made it onto my list of 3 Wizard Atwills: Winged Horde, Thunderwave and Magic Missile.

It's not how I would have magic missile work however. I'd have it do 2d4+INT damage and 1/2 on a miss, eliminating the auto-kill button on minions, which aren't affected by miss damage. But hey, i'm not designing the game, so... shrug*

Wizards get a major boost to encounter powers with effects on a miss. I'm not surprised considering the amount of flack they have taken. I already like wizards to tell you the truth. Now they are even better. But I don't think they are overpowered. So I approve.

EDIT: If nnms is right, then MMissile just dropped back off the list again :)

Last edited:

Aegeri

First Post
In my IRL group I've already houseruled that all wizards get MM for free. Even without it being free it would still be worth it. The number of enemies that have just persisted due to bad rolls that are *instantly* ended by MM has actually been quite significant. In addition to this its auto-hit factor has turned many fights that have featured concealment and covering terrain in favor of the monsters.

It's not a lot of damage, but it is significant when used well.

Zaran

Adventurer
The encounter power miss effects were interesting as well. Burning hands was obvious, half damage on a miss but some of the others were quite good. One prevents a creature from charging and a few others seemed to have effects. I do wonder how this will affect the balance of controllers overall, looks like Wizards are getting a pretty substantial boost.

I've always thought the wizard class needed a boost. I am amazed that the red box already has been errata'ed. I think they should have left it 1 or 2 targets if it was already in print.

because in wizards preview book: races and classes, wizard encounter spells were called power words and were meant to b their bread and butter spells, while martial classes power should have been mainly in at-wills.

I believe essentials is closer to the state of the game which was presented in those books than the PHB1. I still believe they were overcautious in the design.

Kildran

First Post
I'm really having trouble choosing my stance on this. I think that the upgrade will help the control wizards, but with the attack just being pure damage with no extra effect, theres no dought that every war wizard will have this in their repetoire. I guess in the end you have to look at it for what it is though, a convenient buff towards what I thought was a farily balanced class.

Remove ads