Essentials Magic Missile

interwyrm

First Post
I think autokiling is iportant.

I am still for:

hit: 1d4 damage
effect: int damage

That was my solution for damage too, but I wanted to see the multi-attack.

Something like,

Magic Missile
Area Burst 3 within 20
Target: 1, 2, or 3 creatures in burst
level 21: one additional target.
attack: Int vs. reflex
hit: 1d4 force damage
effect: deal int force damage to one of the targets

I'm not sure how I feel about letting that power work with wizard's fury, and it almost certainly isn't viable as an RBA.

Last edited:

Korgoth

First Post
Personally, auto-killing minions is a great thing.

They're friggin' controllers. Killing minions should be an easy thing for them.

But what if it's an AC 50 Level 35 Daikaiju Citystomper Minion? Like you could kill it at Level 1 and then you'd be like Level 10 in an instant.

Of course, those 9 levels could all be pure ego....

Mapache

Explorer
No one has mentioned that this (apparently overwritten) version in the Red Box doesn't mention anything about adding your implement bonus.

Looking at the other things in there, Freezing Burst is strictly better than Scorching Burst, with the same Each Creature in Area Burst 1 With 10 Squares, Int vs Ref, and 1d6+Int damage, but adding a 1-square slide (and a damage type that's less resisted and leads directly into the easy elemental synergy of Frostcheese). I hope that means Scorching Burst is getting an upgrade…

Tony Vargas

Legend
This wouldn't be grid-filling, though. It's more "Why have defined roles if there is no defnining feature of that role?"
A class feature is only one way of fulfilling a role. Defenders also have more hps, for instance. Rangers have lots of double-attack powers, which do more damage and make it more likely they get to do HQ damage each round. It's 'grid filling' because three roles have distinctive features and one doesn't, so fill-in-the-blank.

Though, really, I was more poking fun at WotC for declining to do a Martial Controller because "that'd be grid filling," while going on to fill said grid for every other power source.

jbear

First Post
It could be the intent is only to bring the Wizard into line with the other Controllers.

Yes, the lack of a 'controller feature' to corresond to marks, extra damage, and healing has been a long-standing complaint. Maybe it hasn't been addressed because WotC considers it another example of the dispised 'grid filling' impulse. Giving each build some control element (condition, involuntary movement, loss or restriction of some action) that they inflict on a miss with any encounter or daily power might be a candidate for such a feature. Not sure why never missing is all controllery - except for the retro thing, of course.
Yeah, when I was writing that I started thinking about clerics, bards, warlocks, sorcerors, swordmages... and I did think, hell why not throw everyone in the bag.

That would be a pretty big sweeping change, but a good one. It feels pretty miserable when you miss with an encounter power.

As for limiting it to controllers I guess the argument would be that it is a feature that defines what a controller does over and above other roles. It has been perhaps the most vague and weakly defined role. And nearly all the other classes have ways to 'dip into a controllers territory' inflicting conditions or 'controlling the battlefield' via marks, blocking spirits or forced movement.

I don't believe Wizards were out of line with other classes. What advantage did an Invoker or a Druid have over a Wizard? I think you'll be hard pressed to convince me either of them were better than a Wizard as they stood. I guess time will tell if this change spreads, and in which direction.

Last edited:

Steelwill

First Post
I see an example already of the Essentials line needing errata. Does this dishearten anyone else? That the Essentials products might not be any better about needing 10 tons of errata/updates than the original books they are replacing really doesn't instill confidence in me.

I see an example already of the Essentials line needing errata. Does this dishearten anyone else? That the Essentials products might not be any better about needing 10 tons of errata/updates than the original books they are replacing really doesn't instill confidence in me.
Yes, that was a bit disappoiting to hear... but until now it is just red box... its impossible to have no erratas.

Gort

Explorer
Personally, auto-killing minions is a great thing.

They're friggin' controllers. Killing minions should be an easy thing for them.

I dunno, it just seems wrong that minions get higher defenses than everyone else, then this guy comes along and just automatically kills them.

I think there should always be an attack roll when killing guys, and that goes for auto-damage powers as well. I rule that minions are immune to autodamage.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
But what if it's an AC 50 Level 35 Daikaiju Citystomper Minion? Like you could kill it at Level 1 and then you'd be like Level 10 in an instant.
Well, then it's obviously not a minion! In fact, a level 35 minion is worth 11,750 XP; compare to the level 19 solo: 12,000 XP. So, XP-wise (and hence power-wise) they're roughly equivalent - meaning the level 1 character would see the Daikaiju Citystomper as a level 19 solo.

Or as a level 24 elite. Or a level 27 normal monster. Depending on your level.

Only characters in the level 35 region would treat it as minion.

Cheers, LT.

Remove ads