Evasion and Vehicle Collisions

Rabelais

First Post
Ok, I know the rule says that a character saves for zero damage on a successful reflex save. I had a player of mine ram an SUV, then land the Reflex save. It was a head on collision at around 50mph, the character jumped out of the moving SUV, made the reflex save, then was surprised when I made him take damage anyway...

"Ok, you take 1d6 incidental damage from hitting the road. (I really percieved this as seriously generous)

"But I made my save!"

"You come up off of the street with a bruised hip and some spectacular abrasions, but nothing that a little bactine and a stiff shot won't cure" (Ok, I didn't actually say it, but I sure was thinking it)

I guess I'm looking for opinions... I'm perfectly happy with the Rule 0 solution here, but I'm kinda curious how you all handle Evasion, especially when it doesn't make sense.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Rabelais said:
Ok, I know the rule says that a character saves for zero damage on a successful reflex save. I had a player of mine ram an SUV, then land the Reflex save. It was a head on collision at around 50mph, the character jumped out of the moving SUV, made the reflex save, then was surprised when I made him take damage anyway...

"Ok, you take 1d6 incidental damage from hitting the road. (I really perceived this as seriously generous)

"But I made my save!"

"You come up off of the street with a bruised hip and some spectacular abrasions, but nothing that a little bactine and a stiff shot won't cure" (Ok, I didn't actually say it, but I sure was thinking it)

I guess I'm looking for opinions... I'm perfectly happy with the Rule 0 solution here, but I'm kinda curious how you all handle Evasion, especially when it doesn't make sense.
call it falling damage, and make him tumble his way out of damage rather than Evading an otherwise ridiculous act. make it reflex save to avoid hitting anything solid, and Tumble DC15 to lower damage by 1d6, and 1d6 less per 5 over 15. Use 1d6 for first 10mph, 3d6 at 20, 6d6 at 30 10d6 at 40,15d6 at 50, etc.. 100mph = liquefied? ;)
I'm assuming it's d20 Modern and not d20 Matrix, right? :cool:

Only John McClane can jump out of a speeding car onto pavement and survive unscathed. ;)

Remove ads