Ever see a Strengh 18/00 rolled legitimately?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
*pfft*

If he were as tough as Chuck Norris, the wizard's spell would have realized the error in targeting, bitch-slapped the spellcaster, then teleported the M[U/I] into solid rock.

nedjer

Adventurer
18/99 just the once. Which is a totally raw deal, as I used to go for fighter multi-classes, paladins and rangers all the time in 1e and should, statistically, have had at least one 18/00 :.-(

It just occurred to me that 18/00s were kept artificially low to a certain extent- only warriors made that roll. And, as I recall, certain races and even genders couldn't roll for extraordinary strength, either.

Only fighter types could roll for it at all. Gnomes & halflings were capped before 18 so no rolls for them. Elves were limited to 18/75, Dwarves and half-orcs could get up to 18/99 IIRC. Females of the various races were capped at percentages below the males of their race. Only a human male fighter could have an actual 18/00 per the PHB STR table.

Ulrick

First Post
<<<<------------ :)

Ulrick was the name of my fighter in 2e AD&D. I rolled an 18/00 strength in front of my friends some 12 years ago using 4d6 drop the lowest method. I rolled an 18, then I rolled percentile dice and got 00.

Ulrick having such strength, at least from the DM's perspective, was unbalancing, considering that Ulrick also specialized in Bastard Swords AND the DM allowed stuff from the Skills and Powers so Ulrick could wield a bastard sword in each hand with only a -4 penalty to each attack (by the high strength this canceled out). With 2nd edition giving fighters multiple attacks per round, Ulrick could kill low-level enemies with ease.

Some pointed out that Ulrick was Drizzt clone. "Nope," I said. "Drizzt uses scimitars and is a Dark Elf. Ulrick is human, uses bastard swords, and doesn't have Dark Elf angst."

Also, Drizzt, as far as I know, never had an 18/00 strength.

I win. ;)

Unfortunately the campaign didn't last very long. But I still have the character sheet.

Edit: And yes, I rolled 18/00 on my first try.

Last edited:

nedjer

Adventurer
Only fighter types could roll for it at all. Gnomes & halflings were capped before 18 so no rolls for them. Elves were limited to 18/75, Dwarves and half-orcs could get up to 18/99 IIRC. Females of the various races were capped at percentages below the males of their race. Only a human male fighter could have an actual 18/00 per the PHB STR table.

Those were my guys. Split class elf fighter/ magic-users and split class half-orc fighter/ thieves - the latter the only option for the 18/99; just enough HP to hack the lower levels on split class and a backstab to die for at 7/7th level :angel:

More happy memories than angel there.

Gryph

First Post
Just once. A friend rolled a cavalier under the UA rules. Started with an 18/70 ish strength and raised it to 18/00 at level 5 or 6. Never saw one rolled straight. I rolled a 96 for a half-elf F/MU but had to drop it to 90 due to the racial max.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I had forgotten about the half-ogres. We had those in a few games, but I don't think any of them every got the 18(00).

The only time I saw it legitmately was in those old games we did in high school, where we started on Friday after school and played straight through to Sunday afternoon, with breaks only for meals. Typically, we'd go through around 5 characters per players--so about 30 to 35 total. Brutal. We were using that Unearthed Arcana method one weekend (9d6 for primary stat, et. al.) One guy got the 18(00) and then promptly rolled a 7 for his Con. I think he lasted until the wee hours of Saturday morning. So a 8 hour run or so was pretty impressive. When he died, the rest of the group saluted the character sheet before putting it to rest. :)

I'm detecting somewhat of a recurring theme in this topic ...

The funny thing with the percentage to us though were the number of times someone rolled in the high 40's or low 70's. And then the elf fighter would roll a 92. No one every rolled, say, an 05. ;)

aco175

Legend
The first game we officially played after the introduction game and going out to buy our own copy of the red box, the original one. Maybe it was when the first hardcover books came out, the old first edition AD&D, It was like 30 years ago. My father was the dm and my brother rolled it strait-up, before we started with alternate rolling methods, it was 3d6 straight down the line. The only catch, we were playing a party of dwarfs and could only get 18.99. I think we were too young or too new with the rules to change it to keep the .00.

How may times did someone bring a character with .00 that was 'rolled up at home, honest'.

Wik

First Post

Not so much in 2e, which I think was a better way of doing it. And I don't remember the exceptional strength gender caps in 1e, either, but then, I didn't exactly play many female characters. :p

Remove ads