D&D 5E Everyone Should Play Custom Lineage by Default

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
If I look exactly like a cleric, and I say I am a cleric to other characters, and I use all the symbols and armory and weaponry of a cleric, and I choose spells often found on the cleric list, and other characters in the game think I am a cleric - but I have taken no levels in the cleric class - can I attune an item which has as it's prerequisite "requires attunement by a cleric"?
Can't see why not.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Can't see why not.
Because you aren't, in fact, a cleric and have no connection in that sense to your god or divine power. You have no training as a cleric, neither, nor can you invoke Channel Divinity to attempt to Turn Undead.

Since you lack all these other things that also make up "being a cleric", why should you be able to attune to an item that requires you being a cleric?

Again, resembling something, pretending to be something... does not make you that something. I could dress up like a doctor, go to a hospital and pretend to be a doctor, but it doesn't give me the knowledge or medical training a doctor has. I might even be able to fake it and do some of the things a doctor does, but again--not a doctor and most of it I can't do.

loverdrive

Because it simultaneously makes both actually being a Cleric and pretending to be a Cleric pointless?
Nope, it doesn't. Being a cleric is still pretty much different from being a wizard -- it's not like the only difference between them is items they are able to attune to.

Like, y'know, reskinning is a thing. Playing a cleric of Mystra as a wizard is a pretty frequent occurrence, and if you are for some stupid reason so opposed to reskinning, then question whether can cleric-not-quite-cleric attune to cleric-only item is pointless. If you aren't, then this question is pretty pointless too -- there's no single reason to not allow said character to attune to the item.

loverdrive

Because you aren't, in fact, a cleric and have no connection in that sense to your god or divine power. You have no training as a cleric, neither, nor can you invoke Channel Divinity to attempt to Turn Undead.

Since you lack all these other things that also make up "being a cleric", why should you be able to attune to an item that requires you being a cleric?
Last time I checked, rules are there to represent a fictional concept of cleric, not the other way around. Am I in board games forum or somethin?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Last time I checked, rules are there to represent a fictional concept of cleric, not the other way around. Am I in board games forum or somethin?
LOL I'm not sure what board games have to do with any of this...

Rules are there to play the game. If you want nothing but fiction, go to a story-telling session or read a book. ;)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Sorry, I should have been more blunt: it's none of their business what my PC's scores are. :)
Yea, but most scores are pretty easily derivable, assuming you roll your attacks and saves in the open. I don't see how to hide your scores unless all roll communication between a player and a DM is hidden.

In my one group, we made all our characters blind, and I knew who had what main stat by the end of the 1st combat. There's just too many tells.

Remathilis

Legend
Nope, it doesn't. Being a cleric is still pretty much different from being a wizard -- it's not like the only difference between them is items they are able to attune to.

Like, y'know, reskinning is a thing. Playing a cleric of Mystra as a wizard is a pretty frequent occurrence, and if you are for some stupid reason so opposed to reskinning, then question whether can cleric-not-quite-cleric attune to cleric-only item is pointless. If you aren't, then this question is pretty pointless too -- there's no single reason to not allow said character to attune to the item.
Well crap, let's just ditch classes too and let anyone do anything as long as they say that's what they are. I know my character sheet says half-orc barbarian but I identify as a halfling wizard, so I should be able to take second chance and cast fireball, right?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Great. Changelings can use any racial feat or magical item in the game as long as they "look" like that race when they do it.

We have literally entered "race as rubber mask" territory.
Of course not, because they aren't conceptually an elf. They're conceptually a changeling.

If the DM and the player agree that me reskinning one set of mechanics to represent a different fictional concept is OK, then there's no reason not to continue that narrative representation into other rules elements.

If a certain magic item can only be attuned by elves, and the DM and the player have agreed that a different set of mechanics is consistent with an elven identity, then using the elf-only magic item simply serves to reify that already agreed upon mechanical change with the desired narrative.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yea, but most scores are pretty easily derivable, assuming you roll your attacks and saves in the open. I don't see how to hide your scores unless all roll communication between a player and a DM is hidden.

In my one group, we made all our characters blind, and I knew who had what main stat by the end of the 1st combat. There's just too many tells.
When I play, I roll in front of me and unless I get a crit or fumble, I just call out my total to whoever is DMing, so unless another player is looking over my shoulder there is no reason for them to know what I rolled, either.

Personally, as DM, as long as I trust the player knows what they are doing, I just want the totals called out. Once an AC or DC is known, then they can just tell me hit/damage/fail/etc.

Again, exactly what my numbers are or what my rolls are aren't anyone's business but mine (and the DM if they ask).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases