D&D 5E Everyone Should Play Custom Lineage by Default

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Of course not, because they aren't conceptually an elf. They're conceptually a changeling.

If the DM and the player agree that me reskinning one set of mechanics to represent a different fictional concept is OK, then there's no reason not to continue that narrative representation into other rules elements.

If a certain magic item can only be attuned by elves, and the DM and the player have agreed that a different set of mechanics is consistent with an elven identity, then using the elf-only magic item simply serves to reify that already agreed upon mechanical change with the desired narrative.
Absolutely true, but it would be a house rule.

Great. Changelings can use any racial feat or magical item in the game as long as they "look" like that race when they do it.

We have literally entered "race as rubber mask" territory.
You dont just 'look like' an elf; Elves are your kin. Mechanically.

If my kin are African or Japanese people, I'm also African (or Japanese) respectively. Ergo if my custom lineages kin are Elves, I'm Elven.

Remathilis

Legend

If my kin are African or Japanese people, I'm also African (or Japanese) respectively. Ergo if my custom lineages kin are Elves, I'm Elven.

So, if I say "I am an elf, I was born of elven parents, have elven family and raised in elven society, but mechanically I'm a deep gnome" I can take snirvneblin magic and elven accuracy, right? I'm immune to ghoul paralysis and can wield a moonblade, right? I can have the benefits of one race (mechanically) and another (narratively) because I say so in my backstory, right?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

So, third time now you've dodged my direct question to you about whether "Appearing in every way like a Cleric" means you can or can not attune a magic item which has as a prerequisite "Cleric".

Is there some reason you won't engage with that question but keep repeating your position?

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Is there some reason you won't engage with that question but keep repeating your position?
Being an elf is a biological thing. What your job is isn't. Its a non-starter of an argument

And I'd argue there shouldn't be Cleric-only items as the concept that the universe cares enough that any type of cleric could use something that's unusable by a celestial pact warlock, divine soul aasimar, particular flavour of devout paladin or, heck, devout anything else can't use is dumb

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Being an elf is a biological thing. What your job is isn't. Its a non-starter of an argument

And I'd argue there shouldn't be Cleric-only items as the concept that the universe cares enough that any type of cleric could use something that's unusable by a celestial pact warlock, divine soul aasimar, particular flavour of devout paladin or, heck, devout anything else can't use is dumb
Perfectly viable opinion, but not more than that. It seems like some people are trying to "canonize" their opinion as actually being in the rulebooks. Why? If you want it that way, just do it (or convince your GM to do it if you're a player). Why does your opinion have to be RAW? House rules are cool. Many people use them. I use them all the time. But I would never insist my house rule is what's in the book.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Maybe they meant for Custom Lineage to also work more like Custom Subrace or Variant Race?

If that was the intent, then I would be fine with someone playing a Variant Elf or whatever. After all, compare Human to Variant Human:

Human:
1608509875409.png

Variant Human:
1608509898811.png

Instead of gaining another 4 ASI +1s, you gain a Skill and a Feat. But, Variant Humans are still Humans.

A Variant Elf would give up Darkvision (maybe), Keen Senses, Fey Ancestry, Trance, and Elvish for a Feat and choice of Darkvision or a Skill.

I think WotC could have made the intent clearer by calling this Variant Lineage instead of Custom, and included that you can use the process as well to create a new race as well?

EDIT: I am still not happy about the option to make a race that has both a FEAT and DARKVISION because IMO and IME they are two very powerful things in the game. Variant Humans don't have Darkvision after all, but with Custom Lineage, you could still be a new Variant Human with both. I do NOT like that... too over-powered. The Custom Option should have been a FEAT or Darkvision and a Skill IMO. So, in that respect, I would still not use Custom Lineage as written.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Is there some reason you are answering for someone else? I mean, I don't mind I suppose. But it doesn't advance the conversation I am having with them.
Open forum, mate. Additionally its that much of a non-starter I felt it needed addressing given this "Is this an elf" thing has been going on for too long

Remove ads