Everything is a remake/sequel!

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
The Pink Panther. The Bad News Bears. Underworld 2. The Chronicles of Narnia. Miami Vice. Scary Movie 4. The Dukes of Hazzard. King Kong. Pride and Prejudice. Batman Begins. Superman. Sin City. Is it just me, or are there a lot more remakes/sequels/movies-of-TV-shows/movies-of-books out now than usual?

Captain Tagon

First Post
There is nothing new under the sun, there is nothing new under the sun. I accepted it years ago. At least now they are being honest about it.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Viking Bastard said:
Narnia isn't a remake.

There've been two Narnias before, one animated and one a BBC miniseries. You could argue that the new Narnia isn't a remake, but rather made from the same source, and of course that's true, but
Me said:
Is it just me, or are there a lot more remakes/sequels/movies-of-TV-shows/movies-of-books out now than usual?

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Movies-of-books, no. There the usual amount, methinks. Fewer, even, though the comic book adaptations have filled that space.

There definately are more remakes going on, though. It's a fad, a few successful remakes in a row and now everybody's doing it. Same with the (just weird) number of TV show adaptations. It'll pass in a few years.

As for the sequals: Perhaps. I don't think there are more sequals now, as much as we're having more successful sequals. Back in the day a sequal equaled suck in 96% of the time. Now, it's more like 50/50. Of course, when every non-sequal is a major adaptation or remake of some kind, you just notice them that much more.

FCWesel

First Post
Hmm, let's take a look...Here's a listing of films to come out over the lats few months...

I'll italicize the sequels/remakes/books/tv stuff that I know of.

November 4th 2005
Chicken Little
Jarhead
The Dying Gaul
National Lampoon's Adam and Eve
One Perfect Day

November 9th 2005
Get Rich or Die Tryin'

November 11th 2005
Derailed
Zathura
Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang
Bee Season
Cape of Good Hope
Duane Hopwood
Ellie Parker
Pride & Prejudice

November 18th 2005
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Walk the Line
Breakfast on Pluto

November 23rd 2005
The Ice Harvest
In the Mix
Just Friends
Rent
Yours, Mine and Ours
Pride and Prejudice

Syriana

December 2nd 2005
Aeon Flux
The Boys of Baraka
First Descent
The Kid and I
Transamerica

December 9th 2005
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe
Brokeback Mountain
Marebito
Memoirs of a Geisha
Mrs. Henderson Presents
The World's Fastest Indian

December 14th 2005
King Kong
Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

December 16th 2005
The Family Stone
The Producers: The Movie Musical

December 21st 2005
Cheaper by the Dozen 2
Fun with Dick and Jane

The White Countess

December 23rd 2005
The Ringer
Cache
The Libertine
Master of the Crimson Armor
The Matador
Munich

December 25th 2005
Rumor Has It
Wolf Creek
Casanova

I don't know. Myabe its because those sequels, etc, are all hyped more. It seems like there's a good amount of "original" theater out there to me. But that's just me.

Remove ads