• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Everything is a remake/sequel!

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
And Glory Road looks an awful lot like Remember the Titans. Looks good, too, I might see it in theaters.

Sadly, this means that is Heinlein's novel Glory Road is ever moviefied, it'll need a name change.

Crothian

First Post
John Q. Mayhem said:
And Glory Road looks an awful lot like Remember the Titans. Looks good, too, I might see it in theaters.

Well, it is based off of a true sports event. Many sports movies are similiar especially the real life ones.

Starman said:
And I can't wait for this one, 'cause it's obviously going to be the best movie EVAR!!11!!1
The funny thing will be when we all go to it just for a good laugh and it turns out to be a good movie.

...not that it'll happen, of course, but it'd be hilarious.

Talgian

First Post
I work at a Landmark Theatre, which only plays independent and foreign films, which are often in both the public and critical eye, percieved as more original than their commercial counterparts. However, if you actually look at it, most of these films are also based on some other piece of art, usually a book or some other sort of story. So I don't it's just Hollywood that's proof of Sturgeon's Law, it's the film industry in general.

Now, I realize that this is a topic for an entirely different thread, but I would like to point out that despite the fact most customers and critics percieve our film as more original, our theatre's attendance has declined in unison with the rest of the industry. So, I don't think there is much correlation between the percieved lack of original content and lower movie attendance, so much as people just not enjoying/respecting the communal experience of seeing giant images in a room with strangers.

-Talgian

sniffles

First Post
I don't think it's true that there are more remakes/sequels now than there were in the past. One has only to look at the history of films to see that remakes and sequels have been a staple of moviemaking since the film industry began. Look up a title on IMDB and see how many hits you get.

Take Frankenstein, for example. There were several versions of that story already on film by the time the famous Karloff version came along. Tarzan had lots of predecessors to the Johnny Weismuller movies. Lots of films are remakes of other films but changed the title so that the remake isn't obvious. Sometimes it may seem that Hollywood isn't very original, but actually it may be a demonstration of just how much we enjoy those stories. :)

jasper

Rotten DM
No not more sequels that before it just we old enough, or with modern tech saw the repeats) to see stories we loved as kids made into movies. And hollywood generally reshoots the classics every generation. Ex Romeo and Juliet 60s version vs 80's version.
But as mention they are hyped.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
The question is:

Would we know something new if it did come out? I mean can we really know the unknowable, are not ideas and thoughts just the adding on to others ideas and thoughts. There are only so many plot ideas (boy meets girl) and as our 'generation' life span increases, no matter combination or plot you add, there is a chance it has been done before.

Yes, we are running out of ideas...:confused:...in our life time.

Remove ads