• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Everything We Know About The Ravenloft Book

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft. Art by Paul Scott Canavan May 18th, 256 pages 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords) Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science) NPCs...

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft.

rav_art.jpg

Art by Paul Scott Canavan​
  • May 18th, 256 pages
  • 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords)
  • Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science)
  • NPCs include Esmerelda de’Avenir, Weathermay-Foxgrove twins, traveling detective Alanik Ray.
  • Large section on setting safe boundaries.
  • Dark Gifts are character traits with a cost.
  • College of Spirits (bard storytellers who manipulate spirits of folklore) and Undead Patron (warlock) subclasses.
  • Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood lineages.
  • Cultural consultants used.
  • Fresh take on Vistani.
  • 40 pages of monsters. Also nautical monsters in Sea of Sorrows.
  • 20 page adventure called The House of Lament - haunted house, spirits, seances.

TheSword

Legend
I must say I’m really looking forward to this book. It’s been a while since I wrote my own adventures and this feels like an amazing source to mine.

Heroic Maps and Seafoot Games have been sending me amazing maps for the last few years and I think this is just the time to start using them.

2 milestones per domain... one level for escaping and one for solving the mystery of that domain.

Should be fun.

TheSword

Legend
Her face became a giant thumb!
An aging curse like in Howls Moving Castle could make for a good Ravenloft curse, with the players seeking to cure it.

My players would enjoy roleplaying aging fighters and bards. A bit like the film cocoon. Lol. I wouldn’t do it in the first domain or two but as a surprise out of nowhere?

Last edited:

I tend to think of body horror as stuff like shocking transformation of the body, violent changes to the body, parasitic infections of the body, sudden realization of the body's fragility (in some psychologically alarming way), loss of control of the body, etc

The set "Magic the Gathering" has got some examples of Body Horror (Bloody Horror is different, and WotC want's to avoid it).

---

This seems the WotC's goal is Ravenloft to become the most popular horror RPG, the "killer" of the rival titles. I wonder about if some 3PP will dare to create the ultimate sanity/madness system. The classic "you have just seen a cephalopode pokemon, you lose sanity" is not my tea of cup. I suggested something based in the one from Unknown Armies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads