D&D 5E Everything We Know About The Ravenloft Book

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft. Art by Paul Scott Canavan May 18th, 256 pages 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords) Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science) NPCs...

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft.

rav_art.jpg

Art by Paul Scott Canavan​
  • May 18th, 256 pages
  • 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords)
  • Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science)
  • NPCs include Esmerelda de’Avenir, Weathermay-Foxgrove twins, traveling detective Alanik Ray.
  • Large section on setting safe boundaries.
  • Dark Gifts are character traits with a cost.
  • College of Spirits (bard storytellers who manipulate spirits of folklore) and Undead Patron (warlock) subclasses.
  • Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood lineages.
  • Cultural consultants used.
  • Fresh take on Vistani.
  • 40 pages of monsters. Also nautical monsters in Sea of Sorrows.
  • 20 page adventure called The House of Lament - haunted house, spirits, seances.

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
I like the idea of a horror campaign taking place in a train, and the longer the PCs go without getting to the bottom of everything, the more the various cars of said train become demented/horrific/corrupted. Meaning if things REALLY hit the fan, there's only one car that is a safe haven, but that too runs the risk of being lost: Game Over if the whole train is "lost" at the end.
And thank you for that story idea!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
See, I always saw that as being a good thing. Travel in Ravenloft shouldn't be lightly undertaken, since it's potentially asking for trouble to find you while on the road. Having to go very far out of your way to avoid the gaping wound in the world makes that travel longer, and so discourages it, thereby reinforcing a sense of isolation.

Plus, Bluetspur and G'henna really needed to be removed from the Core anyway. They simply didn't fit thematically.

I believe they actually do call it "the Core."
That’s odd to me, because to me Gothic Horror disregards distance and travel time as wholly irrelevant unless it serves the story. It’s Indiana Jones lines-on-a-map travel that takes you only very occasionally to places of seeming safety and light, but more often to the next scene of isolated terror and dread.

Remathilis

Legend
That’s odd to me, because to me Gothic Horror disregards distance and travel time as wholly irrelevant unless it serves the story. It’s Indiana Jones lines-on-a-map travel that takes you only very occasionally to places of seeming safety and light, but more often to the next scene of isolated terror and dread.
Sometimes Dracula sails from Transylvania to England, Dr Frankenstein chases the creature from Geneva to the North Pole, and the Phantom disappears from Paris and ends up in Coney Island.

(If you get the last reference, I'm sorry)

MGibster

Legend
Put me in the....I don't care about continuity group.... and I'll wait to see more before deciding to buy or not.....
I agree. It's been about 15 years since I cracked open a Ravenloft setting book. There are some high points I'd like them to keep but it's not like I even remember all the domains clearly. I'm fine with them branching out in different directions. No reason to be weighed down by the past.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I like the idea of a horror campaign taking place in a train, and the longer the PCs go without getting to the bottom of everything, the more the various cars of said train become demented/horrific/corrupted. Meaning if things REALLY hit the fan, there's only one car that is a safe haven, but that too runs the risk of being lost: Game Over if the whole train is "lost" at the end.
I roll to pickpocket the idea.

Remove ads

Remove ads