• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Everything We Know About The Ravenloft Book

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft. Art by Paul Scott Canavan May 18th, 256 pages 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords) Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science) NPCs...

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft.

rav_art.jpg

Art by Paul Scott Canavan​
  • May 18th, 256 pages
  • 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords)
  • Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science)
  • NPCs include Esmerelda de’Avenir, Weathermay-Foxgrove twins, traveling detective Alanik Ray.
  • Large section on setting safe boundaries.
  • Dark Gifts are character traits with a cost.
  • College of Spirits (bard storytellers who manipulate spirits of folklore) and Undead Patron (warlock) subclasses.
  • Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood lineages.
  • Cultural consultants used.
  • Fresh take on Vistani.
  • 40 pages of monsters. Also nautical monsters in Sea of Sorrows.
  • 20 page adventure called The House of Lament - haunted house, spirits, seances.

JEB

Legend
Minis thread from Twitter is neat, but disappointingly, tells us little about what new monsters we will be getting - nearly all of them appeared in earlier products.

But there are two potentially interesting bits:
  • The skittering horror? Unless this is a new creature with the same name... that's a Magic: The Gathering monster, previously appearing in the Ravnica book. Will there be a MTG-based domain in Ravenloft? That'd be a big deal.
  • The non-human skeletons and zombies... will we be getting those monster templates back? Sure would be nice.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Minis thread from Twitter is neat, but disappointingly, tells us little about what new monsters we will be getting - nearly all of them appeared in earlier products.

But there are two potentially interesting bits:
  • The skittering horror? Unless this is a new creature with the same name... that's a Magic: The Gathering monster, previously appearing in the Ravnica book. Will there be a MTG-based domain in Ravenloft? That'd be a big deal.
  • The non-human skeletons and zombies... will we be getting those monster templates back? Sure would be nice.
It wouldn't be terribly surprising if they put some Magic stuff in there...or at least just use the monster stat block without thinking too hard about it. There does seem to be Eberron material, from what people are saying, so expansions to the Setting are happening.

JEB

Legend
It wouldn't be terribly surprising if they put some Magic stuff in there...or at least just use the monster stat block without thinking too hard about it. There does seem to be Eberron material, from what people are saying, so expansions to the Setting are happening.
Hmm, if there's Eberron material, I wonder if they'll finally canonize the long-running fan theory that Cyre was drawn into Ravenloft...

And all together
I'm interested in the huge squid-thing on the back row. It makes me think of War of the Worlds Martians done right. Which is something I have never seen in any of the many TV/film versions.

It appears to be an elder oblex next to it. Which would be a new addition to the setting.

JEB

Legend
I'm interested in the huge squid-thing on the back row. It makes me think of War of the Worlds Martians done right. Which is something I have never seen in any of the many TV/film versions.

It appears to be an elder oblex next to it. Which would be a new addition to the setting.
The squid-thing is a juvenile kraken, as it appeared in Ghosts of Saltmarsh. Agreed that it's a pretty cool mini, though!

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
Hmm, if there's Eberron material, I wonder if they'll finally canonize the long-running fan theory that Cyre was drawn into Ravenloft...
I’d love that. Merrix D’Cannith I made darklord of Cyre after instructing followers to built a weapon to destroy a continent and then murdering its creator. The creator lives on as a machine spirit. A domain with technological overdevelopment used for purposes of war and power, with sentient machines wrestling for control... plus the ever present fear of the superweapon that will destroy all. Duck and cover folks.

Terminator/Matrix meets When The Wind Blows.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Almost certainly not. The specifics of what happened to cyre is one of the deliberately uncertain aspects of the setting with many conflicting credible possibilities. There might be a credible hint on par with other credible stuff. With that said though, if you look at the manar section of exploring eberron there is a section that talks about The Dark Powers complete with proper probinciation that could be right at home in a ravenloft book & we have art of a lightning rail so I'd expect some eberron themes to be present

But a "Nova Cyre" as new domain would be possible, a "copy" of the original.

3.5 Ed had got a prestige class, the seekers of the Misty Isle. We could find a "Mysty Isle" as domain in Ravenloft. Maybe it is the original, or a "clone" created because a seeker did some wrong action.

* Could illithids from Bluetspur launch raids to other domains to catch slaves? I doubt when the dark lords can "close the doors", even when they are only level 1, but they could pay for them, if there is something in Bluetspuer they can sell.

Wereoctopus in Bluetspur? There is a canon weregorrilla, somebody cursed by the Vistani.

* Characters from Innistrad? It is not impossible, even I would allow a (relatively stable) portal between both places. The Dark Powers could allow it as a "poisoned gift" for fugitives who horrified discover too late the goal isn't better very much than the origin point.

* There are firearms in Ravenloft, although bullets are uselless against most of supernatural creatures. DMs and players may invent magic tricks against the gunpowder. Other players would want repeater firearms, or a DM creating a traps with a gatling gun.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads