• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Everything We Know About The Ravenloft Book

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft. Art by Paul Scott Canavan May 18th, 256 pages 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords) Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science) NPCs...

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft.

rav_art.jpg

Art by Paul Scott Canavan​
  • May 18th, 256 pages
  • 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords)
  • Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science)
  • NPCs include Esmerelda de’Avenir, Weathermay-Foxgrove twins, traveling detective Alanik Ray.
  • Large section on setting safe boundaries.
  • Dark Gifts are character traits with a cost.
  • College of Spirits (bard storytellers who manipulate spirits of folklore) and Undead Patron (warlock) subclasses.
  • Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood lineages.
  • Cultural consultants used.
  • Fresh take on Vistani.
  • 40 pages of monsters. Also nautical monsters in Sea of Sorrows.
  • 20 page adventure called The House of Lament - haunted house, spirits, seances.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Hmm. I wonder what's in the "Misty" areas of Darkon there. Can you walk west of Karg and end up heading towards Viaki--which I hope kept its amusement park (unless I'm misremembering the town's name), or are do you end up being Mist-Led?

Remathilis

Legend
Hmm. I wonder what's in the "Misty" areas of Darkon there. Can you walk west of Karg and end up heading towards Viaki--which I hope kept its amusement park (unless I'm misremembering the town's name), or are do you end up being Mist-Led?
Because the domain is "shattered" I wager the Mists separate various regions and make travel across the domain difficult, but easier than going domain to domain.

Darkon and Mordent, being my two favorite Domains, has had very little spoiled and it's driving me nuts!

Mmmm, maybe the core hasn't disapearred after all. It is as if the dread domians were jigsaw/puzzle pieces, now separated, with space among them, allowing possible new elements in the future.

What about the golems from Ravenloft? The doll golem is a classic. Why not half-golem template? And the dread elementals? I guess we are going to need a new monster compedium, something like "Ez D'Avenir's guide of unholy creatures".

* Halflings and gnomes are perfect to be survivor PCs because they are Tyrion Lannister, or the little ugly duckling of the core PC races.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Want a less “heroic” adventure time in the dread domains? Use survivors, lower powered characters.

That's awesome. I doubt many players will want to use them, but DMs wanting to run more intense horror games probably will. This is the tension between horror and D&D. For it to be more of a horror thing, rather than D&D with a Halloween costume on, you've got to have some disempowerment...but D&D is all about power fantasy.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
That's awesome. I doubt many players will want to use them, but DMs wanting to run more intense horror games probably will. This is the tension between horror and D&D. For it to be more of a horror thing, rather than D&D with a Halloween costume on, you've got to have some disempowerment...but D&D is all about power fantasy.
I've done similar using the level zero rules in here & the players spent about 3 months getting to level one in that campaign going to 13-15isjh over the course of about a year. the most interesting aspect of this is that the statblocks have far less than the standard array

That gives me as a gm much more room to give magic items & such without resistance from "It's not official" and "you are nerfing us" as something wotc provides. I'm really curious what the "survivor talents" look like though since it might allow some interesting progression that can get folded into an eventual survivor X/level1 in whatever class. From the looks of things it's probably easy enough to sub in other low CR statblocks

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads