• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Everything We Know About The Ravenloft Book

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft. Art by Paul Scott Canavan May 18th, 256 pages 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords) Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science) NPCs...

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft.

rav_art.jpg

Art by Paul Scott Canavan​
  • May 18th, 256 pages
  • 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords)
  • Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science)
  • NPCs include Esmerelda de’Avenir, Weathermay-Foxgrove twins, traveling detective Alanik Ray.
  • Large section on setting safe boundaries.
  • Dark Gifts are character traits with a cost.
  • College of Spirits (bard storytellers who manipulate spirits of folklore) and Undead Patron (warlock) subclasses.
  • Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood lineages.
  • Cultural consultants used.
  • Fresh take on Vistani.
  • 40 pages of monsters. Also nautical monsters in Sea of Sorrows.
  • 20 page adventure called The House of Lament - haunted house, spirits, seances.

I have seen the video, and I couldn't read very well, but I hope a retcon about the Zakhata cult. It is not only about me, but because today it is too politically incorrect a fictional religion that promotes anorexia. I would rather to focuse in the potential conflict between the mongrefolk and the Zakhata cult, as a fabule about as the oppresed can become the new oppresers (do you remember the planet of the apes?), this religion allowed its clergy to marry and even poligamy (why not?, Philip I, landgrave of Hesse, was allowed bigamy by Martin Luther himself).

This book looks like a delicious first dish, but this is not enough and we are too hungry. I guess we will see new novels, or some comic. I miss some domains and monsters.

I would bet we will see some future module about "the return of Azalin".

Tasha/Iggwliv's vampiress daughter, Drelzna, could be a dark lady.

th

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
What do you mean by "funnel" in this context? A link to an article would be great.
Link on your question there ^. Basically funnel is a term used by Dungeon Crawl Classics (DCC) where players start with a bunch of random 0th level characters & go through a meatgrinder type adventure built for mid or even high level players using whatever ingenuity they can come up with. These survivor characters are orders of magnitude more capable than the ones you start with in dcc but it doesn't need to be a meatgrinder. I've run level zero adventures in 5e that went great and mentioned it earlier when survivors came up.

Don't take it too seriously & lean into old school ingenuity planning/strategizing. These all seem to have 8 9 1011 12 13 attrib arrays though that leaves a lot of room for players to gain magic items & such as they progress to make things really interesting over a campaign once they start getting class levels.

The survivor talents sound like downtuned feats that can be built on to sub in for feats (if expanded upon as I'm sure someone will) once the players start getting class levels

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What do you mean by "funnel" in this context? A link to an article would be great.
I don't have a good article to link to, but it's pretty straightforward. In the OSR-adjacent game Dungeon Crawl Classics from Goodman Games, level creation is a Session Zero one-shot where every player rolls four entirely random Level 0 characters. The DM then runs the random assortment of characters through a Dungeon meant to have a 66% mortality rate, and usually every player gets through the session with a surviving character who gets to Level 1.

darjr

I crit!
One my very best funnels were where the players were "deciding" which character of theirs was going to live and actually role playing the others "figuring" this out. That was about an hour of fantastic hilarity.

Oh and none of those survived. There was a "stalker" that went after the laggards staying behind.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
One my very best funnels were where the players were "deciding" which character of theirs was going to live and actually role playing the others "figuring" this out. That was about an hour of fantastic hilarity.

Oh and none of those survived. There was a "stalker" that went after the laggards staying behind.
My experience is of people competing to see who can have the most surviving characters. Good fun.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Number one I don’t think that is the message but number two ‘hey colonizing was bad, but if you resist it the wrong way, you're also bad!’ Isn’t a bad argument at all if ‘the wrong way’ means something losing your humanity and inflicting harm on innocent people. These moral grandstanding arguments around stupid gaming storylines are getting utterly rediculous

If you actually read the text, that is not the choice that is set for this Dark Lord... the "fall to darkness" is that the gold dragon she is learning from sees that she still wants revenge, and stops teaching her. That's the choice set; between "go for revenge," and "let go of the past." Which I find a perfectly normal choice in most revenge stories (trying to get revenge is often a pointless exercise that achieves nothing), but WotC chose to write the "going for revenge," as tied directly to "free homeland from the colonizers." It is a poor choice to do this, IMO.

And if you really think the complaints I make are "moral grandstanding" (I haven't read the full text, so it was really more of an initial reaction), you should probably go ahead and ignore my account, as this falls under the category of mild criticism for me. When I grandstand, I GRANDSTAND.

Remove ads

Remove ads