D&D 5E Everything We Know About The Ravenloft Book

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft. Art by Paul Scott Canavan May 18th, 256 pages 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords) Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science) NPCs...

Here is a list of everything we know so far about the upcoming Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft.

rav_art.jpg

Art by Paul Scott Canavan​
  • May 18th, 256 pages
  • 30 domains (with 30 villainous darklords)
  • Barovia (Strahd), Dementlieu (twisted fairly tales), Lamordia (flesh golem), Falkovnia (zombies), Kalakeri (Indian folklore, dark rainforests), Valachan (hunting PCs for sport), Lamordia (mad science)
  • NPCs include Esmerelda de’Avenir, Weathermay-Foxgrove twins, traveling detective Alanik Ray.
  • Large section on setting safe boundaries.
  • Dark Gifts are character traits with a cost.
  • College of Spirits (bard storytellers who manipulate spirits of folklore) and Undead Patron (warlock) subclasses.
  • Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood lineages.
  • Cultural consultants used.
  • Fresh take on Vistani.
  • 40 pages of monsters. Also nautical monsters in Sea of Sorrows.
  • 20 page adventure called The House of Lament - haunted house, spirits, seances.

Aldarc

Legend
sure but they are still islands right? That is going to impact movement and communication (and if it doesn’t, if it isn’t any different than having them connected: I really don’t understand the argument for making them individual islands)
Good. That's important for making Ravenloft a horror setting rather than an Halloween-themed amusement park.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Chaosmancer, we've gone back and forth over this point over and over. If you aren't convinced you aren't but I find your argument really strange. If I am telling someone that I think a line was good, of course I am going to include support for that line as reason for why it is worth exploring. And I have already given you reasons on why. But here is at least one more in terms of mechanics: all the mechanics in the van richten books are for 2E, so good luck using them in d20 or 5E, and some of the mechanics even fit to mechanics specific to ravenloft. At this point though, I am not trying to sell you on anything. If you don't think the van richten books are an attentive reason to go to 2E Ravenloft, then don't. It isn't my responsibility to give you a thorough sales pitch and secure the sale. I am telling you what I like about 2E Ravenloft and I feel like you are responding with incredibly pedantic quibbles to the things I say about. I will not respond to this point any further because this is not feeling like a conversation to me

It could also be because you keep referring to "the line" while I am trying to talk about "the setting" and I think those are two different things.

From the perspective of "the line" then you are talking about every single thing ever released that tied into Ravenloft, but from the perspective of "the setting" I am just trying to talk about the place and the story of that place.

It is like, to use a car analogy, I'm trying to talk about the new Ford Mach-E, and you are talking about every vehicle ever sold by Ford. Truck, Car, Van, ect. Yes, those are all sold by Ford, but since I'm talking about something much more specific than you, it gets frustrating for you to keep talking about the hauling power of a Ford Truck.

I have given plenty of reasons: it is super artificial feeling to have ravenloft be all a bunch of islands for gaming purposes. Gameability matters. But you don't want the setting to feel gamey. To me, making it all islands feels extremely gamey. it is also very inconvenient because it creates a nuisance anytime I want the players to travel and anytime I want to explore things like diplomacy (because every place is suddenly England for some reason). I think the onus is on the people who want them to be islands to explain why that is better. So far I haven't seen a good reason for that provided. In terms of the actual geography. It shifted over time. The specific layout of the core can vary. I prefer the layout in black box, but I think most people would say it started to feel more cohesive by the red box (because they removed domains that seemed more out of place (personally I like the out of place ones, but I get why people didn't). But the particular arrangement created nice connected areas for adventure. For example, I like the domains of Forlorn, Sithicus, Valachan and Kartakass, and it was easy to have players adventuring in those areas, often having adventures that spanned their borders because those were close to one another. So for example, you could have an adventure that started in Valachan where some resident had a family member who ventured into Forlorn to explore the mysterious castle there. And that allowed for an adventure that wasn't just an explorations of Castles Forlorn, but also about the road from Valachan to Forlorn. That is a useful skeleton to hang other adventure opportunities on and encounters. It also provides a nice sense of place for the players as they become familiar with these connected places. YMMV

It doesn't feel gamey at all to me. And yeah, it does feel a bit artificial, but it is a world created with a specific purpose, so it feeling artificial is a bonus to me. It shouldn't feel completely realistic.

I also don't see the nuisance in travel or diplomacy. Those will take different forms, but they aren't any more of a nuisance than any other way of dealing with travel and diplomacy.

And, I guess since I lack the details, I don't understand why the road from Valachan to Forlorn is different than say, the road from the Village of X to Forlorn. But, I think one thing I do like is tying all these realms together with a single interconnected piece. That works for me. Maybe it doesn't for you, but the islands being physically separated, visually separated and connected by a Dark Sea with its own mysterious properties just works as a whole for me.

He is still meant to be a villain, and as sympathetic villains go, he is the least sympathetic for a reason I think: he is the closest to a real world monster that you have in the book (at least in terms of recent political memory for people). Some of the other lords lean much more heavily into the tragedy and sympathy. One danger of going too far there though is it can overwhelm the horror so it is a balance. Like I said, they should be compelling, but they should be repugnant too.

I agree

Look in terms of drawing on real world history, that is up to you how you feel about that. I can't tell you that you should or should not feel a particular way about using Vlad Tepes. For me I think it works. I prefer that we exist in a creative environment where people can draw more freely off real world things and without fretting over it. I just find that produces more interesting material to me in the end. But if you feel different, you feel different.

I think the issue is that there is an obvious reference, and then they take one of the things that Tepes was most famously heroic for, and turn it into the villainous drive of this Falkovian version.

Vlad Tepes was a military man, he fought wars constantly. Mostly (if I am remembering my history) defensive wars. The reason behind the staking of individuals was in part as a deterrent. He wanted to horrify his neighbors so they would stop attacking him and his people. And that tactic was necessary because he was smaller and weaker than his neighbors.

And so, seeing a version of him that is blatantly taking his inspiration (dining while surrounded by staked individuals was a tactic Vlad used to horrify diplomats) but then turning his desire to be powerful and respected by his neighbors into some twisted evil motivation, making it about personal glory when it was in part a desire to stop being bullied by neighbors far more powerful than him... it kind of grates. It takes the thing I can respect about the man and makes it something to be reviled.

It could entirely be a personal issue, but seeing it laid out like that really struck me with what was being said earlier, when you take a historical figure and make them a villain, you have to be careful. Some are easy to villify. No one is going to step up to defend Jim Jones after all, but sometimes you can accidentally take what makes them respected and turn that into a negative, which will rub people who respect them the wrong way.

I don't see how, for what little it's worth, having the domains as "islands" is any "gamier" than having them connected via the Core. Having the Domains of Dread as islands seems more suitable to them being part of the Shadowfell or prison/torture cells for the respective Darklords and gives greater importance to the Vistani for being able to navigate between them. It seems fairly easy IMHO to argue that having a central core for the purpose of PCs to venture through the various Theme Park domains is more of an artificial gamist construction than having them as islands.
I don’t think of them as theme parks, and the fact that they have neighbors, are part of a setting that exists beyond the core premise of the domain makes them much more life like. It provides greater contrast. Also the full purpose of Ravenloft is not fully known. It is likely a prison but it could be something else. The intentions of the dark powers were deliberately left mysterious.

I am not familiar enough with the shadow fell concept to comment on that. In the old version it is more connected to the ethereal plane

Chaosmancer

Legend
I don't think it is nostalgia. I really just don't understand why you would want to limit the setting to all islands. Like I said, Islands were a thing in the black boxed and the line during the 90s. I ran plenty of adventures using islands. And I always found that more tricky to pull off long term than campaigns that were based on the core. Maybe I am not doing a good job of analyzing my preference here or a good job of conveying my meaning. But I can tell you from play at the table the two things are very different (and I certainly played around with different approaches to navigation and communication between islands). Don't get me wrong, I think the islands are important too: they add another layer to the setting: you have the more navigable and familiar core, but you also have this really off the map scary place players can adventure to----the mists and the misty islands they contain. I liked having that. I didn't want the whole campaign to be that. I needed to have a place where places were more like realms in a real world so I could build up a campaign if that makes sense. I don't know how else I can explain it than that. But I really don't understand why people would want to reduce ravenloft to just one option rather than having both. To me that would make it more of a one trick pony setting, and it would be focusing on one aspect of the setting that worked, the sense of entrapment, to the exclusion of other things.

And to be clear here: I've made a horror game that used concepts like this all island approach. It worked for mini-campaign that were largely monster of the week one shots (I used them when I wanted to take a break from running sandboxes). I am not totally opposed to the idea. I just think it has big weakness: it will fall apart for long term campaigns (or at least make them substantially harder to pull off).

Maybe part of this is the idea of size.

I think your comparison to England is apt. You could easily have a lot of islands the size of England. Which is fairly large in terms of the amount of space to work with. Instead of a bunch of islands more the size of say, the Canary islands, which are quite small.

Australia and Japan are technically islands too. Greenland is an island. Sure, if you are picturing tons of places that are tiny, that is one thing, but that isn't exactly what I'm picturing.

Good. That's important for making Ravenloft a horror setting rather than an Halloween-themed amusement park.
Again we just disagree here. It seems a lot of posters pushing this idea didn’t like Ravenloft in the first place though. I think it would make more sense to create the new material with people who liked it rather than those who didn’t like it in mind (maybe you liked it and this is just one aspect that annoyed you but getting the sense that is one of the dividing lines here)

Just to clarify the reason I say the line, is that is how I am referring to the Ravenloft setting as it was from black box to domains of dread. The setting spans multiple publishers and versions of D&D. To me ‘the line’ just equals “90s TSR Ravenloft” when I use it here. And it also matters because the setting evolved and changed a lot during that time (domains of dread and black box are quite different)

sure but they are still islands right? That is going to impact movement and communication (and if it doesn’t, if it isn’t any different than having them connected: I really don’t understand the argument for making them individual islands)
It depends. Are they totally isolated islands, or islands with a single difficult to find and use Channel Tunnel to the next, or islands with multiple, easy-to-use bridges to other islands, or islands surrounded by shallow straits that you can, at your own risk, wade across to the others? Or some combination of the above? Or completely up to the DM or players?

It could entirely be a personal issue, but seeing it laid out like that really struck me with what was being said earlier, when you take a historical figure and make them a villain, you have to be careful. Some are easy to villify. No one is going to step up to defend Jim Jones after all, but sometimes you can accidentally take what makes them respected and turn that into a negative, which will rub people who respect them the wrong way.

We have to be very careful not to get into real world issues. In tepes as I said before, even though I am a history person, and I like Dracula, I know not all that much about Tepes or the history of that region, so I prefer to keep my mouth shut on that particular example in terms of how it should be framed. But you bring up Jonestown. And I think something that actually happened as real world history like that should be fair game for horror because it resonates. But if you are going to allow real world concerns to make real world history an issue there: Jonestown is even worse because it’s recent. There are still people alive who survived Jonestown. So using it has just as much likelihood as emotionally affecting real people. And I think this is the problem with that idea for me personally: most real world examples as sources of inspiration are going to be a problem for someone somewhere: but using real world inspiration is very important for communicating concepts and having an emotional impact

It depends. Are they totally isolated islands, or islands with a single difficult to find and use Channel Tunnel to the next, or islands with multiple, easy-to-use bridges to other islands, or islands surrounded by shallow straits that you can, at your own risk, wade across to the others? Or some combination of the above? Or completely up to the DM or players?
I don’t know: I am not the one proposing all islands but the concept seems to shift in response each time I make a point about it :)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
That's the 4E approach, I dunno if Charlaquin just came up with something similar or is quoting the 4E one. It's one of the 4E-era Dragon mags (which you can find in the Dragon archive), though I forget which.

Basically in 4E, Vistani is this dimension-travelling culture, which theoretically anyone can join, because it's a culture, rather than race. There's a ritual and everything to join it. Otherwise they're somewhat similar to typical Vistani. But as you say, it sounds like it started out as a culture as well, which would make complete sense in a D&D setting - more sense than the bizarre racial take they later went with.
Yeah, the Dragon Magazine in question is where I got it from - Dragon 380. I definitely recommend it if you’re looking to give your Vistani a touch-up.

Remove ads

Remove ads