WotC Ex D&D Beyond Staffers Criticize Relationship With WotC

Ex D&D Beyond Product Manager Andrew Searls and co-founder Adam Bradford have both publicly denounced a detetoriation in the platform's relationship with Wizards of the Coast. Searles, who left DDB in December tweeted publicly, seemingly in support of the OGC community, following the recent Open Gaming License news, that "IMHO, D&D is successul because of the entire community not just...

Ex D&D Beyond Product Manager Andrew Searls and co-founder Adam Bradford have both publicly denounced a detetoriation in the platform's relationship with Wizards of the Coast.

8eD9GGqRbU5-ucGZeg0xzdbyEW49b5VhU5zn6uwJTkeF9AAvdRohptJ0MkZiREZK=w720-h310-1697045735.jpg

Searles, who left DDB in December tweeted publicly, seemingly in support of the OGC community, following the recent Open Gaming License news, that "IMHO, D&D is successul because of the entire community not just because of those that legally own it."

Speaking of his departure, he said "December 16th of 2022 was my last day at Wizards of the Coast and working on D&D Beyond. This was a change for the better. It is hard to describe the feeling of working your dream job and being crushed by it at the same time. But, it is bittersweet. I will miss the people I have worked with day-in and day-out. Despite what it may seem like at times there are really good people at Wizard of the Coast that are working on D&D and D&D Beyond that love the game and the community. For my next adventure, all I can say now is that I’m more excited than I’ve ever been and I’ve wanted to work with these folks for a LONG time. One thing I know for certain, for the rest of my career, I will use technology to make ALL tabletop roleplaying games easier to play. I love this industry and I love these games."

He later went on to comment on WotC itself -- "Quick story. When DDB was first acquired by WotC, I had a conversation with someone on the WotC side. They told me that DDB was only successful because of the D&D logo and not the work we had put into it for 5 years. It’s a culture of arrogance."

He also revealed that many of WotC's staff are against the current OGL situation. In reponse to a tweet which suggested that, Searles responded "I know must of them and I can tell you everything in this statement is true."

D&D Beyond co-founder Adam Bradford, who now works for the Demiplane online tools suite, responded "This was starkly evident well before the acquisition. In the early days of the partnership, things went about as well as you could imagine, and something truly special was created as a result of that. Some top level leadership changes later, and it all took an abrupt nosedive."

D&D Beyond was launched in 2017, and was acquired by WotC in 2022 for $146M. Bradford left DDB in February 2021, along with various other staff including lead writer James Haeck, Community Manager Lauren Urban, and Creative Manager and co-founder Todd Kenrick (who now works for WotC).

Voadam

Legend
Sure. But why would they not be able to say they don’t work there any more for weeks after leaving. What possible benefit would that have to WotC? Besides avoiding the annual Xmas firing squad jokes of yore.
Separation agreements vary. Some include not discussing the reasons for the separation for a period of time. Some include agreements tying some separation payments or retirement type bonuses to agreements not to disparage the company, which can keep former employees quiet on certain things. Some companies require signing onto these types of agreements as a condition of being hired so that it is not an extra to negotiate at the end.

I mean, if DDB was "Hero System Beyond" it wouldn't be significant to the industry broadly (NOTE: I love Hero; that wasn't a dig.) But that doesn't mean the DDB devs didn't work their butts off to create something really valuable. (I almost said "great" but I don't use DDB so I don't know.)
I have a fan made 4e adventure tracker called MasterPlan... it isn't available anymore but 10+ years later I still use it. The guy that made it was awesome it got a dozen update back then... but without the D&D push it didn't catch on.

This guy this Andrew sounds like he may be the same way.

BUT... I agree with the culture of arrogance, weither it is deserved or not

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It strike anyone else as weird that WotC / D&D Beyond is shedding people left and right and they’re all mum about it for weeks after the split?
It occurred over the holidays.

More broadly, I know a lot of people who work in soul-crushing "dream" jobs and when they leave, they rarely decide to put on a show for the general public. They often just want to collapse onto the sofa and be mentally and emotionally exhausted for a while.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I mean, if DDB was "Hero System Beyond" it wouldn't be significant to the industry broadly (NOTE: I love Hero; that wasn't a dig.) But that doesn't mean the DDB devs didn't work their butts off to create something really valuable. (I almost said "great" but I don't use DDB so I don't know.)
Valuable-but-not-great is accurate. They were hampered by manpower issues previously. Now, it's likely there are big changes of direction and a new roadmap being created, so we don't know how well the tool will develop from here on out.

Clint_L

Hero
Pretty wild to watch Wizards follow Blizz in the 'too big to fail' self importance world view.

Feel bad for the employees not at the top, but I hope it burns to the ground.
This is a pair of disgruntled executives, who were involved in a merger, airing their side of the issue. I don't think it should be compared to the decades-long toxic work environment, especially for women, that was revealed at Blizzard. It's not a similar situation and conflating the two seems kind of diminishing of the extent of the problems at Blizzard, and of what happened to many, many victims there.

Cistern

Explorer
Andrew is a stand up guy. We've had a number of conversations, most recently at PAXU, and he's always been a straight shooter in my book. I thank him for being so honest and straight forward with all of us regarding a situation that sounds more like the rosy red apple called WOTC is actually rotten to the corporate core.

Remove ads

Remove ads