WotC Ex D&D Beyond Staffers Criticize Relationship With WotC

Ex D&D Beyond Product Manager Andrew Searls and co-founder Adam Bradford have both publicly denounced a detetoriation in the platform's relationship with Wizards of the Coast.

8eD9GGqRbU5-ucGZeg0xzdbyEW49b5VhU5zn6uwJTkeF9AAvdRohptJ0MkZiREZK=w720-h310-1697045735.jpg

Searles, who left DDB in December tweeted publicly, seemingly in support of the OGC community, following the recent Open Gaming License news, that "IMHO, D&D is successul because of the entire community not just because of those that legally own it."

Speaking of his departure, he said "December 16th of 2022 was my last day at Wizards of the Coast and working on D&D Beyond. This was a change for the better. It is hard to describe the feeling of working your dream job and being crushed by it at the same time. But, it is bittersweet. I will miss the people I have worked with day-in and day-out. Despite what it may seem like at times there are really good people at Wizard of the Coast that are working on D&D and D&D Beyond that love the game and the community. For my next adventure, all I can say now is that I’m more excited than I’ve ever been and I’ve wanted to work with these folks for a LONG time. One thing I know for certain, for the rest of my career, I will use technology to make ALL tabletop roleplaying games easier to play. I love this industry and I love these games."

He later went on to comment on WotC itself -- "Quick story. When DDB was first acquired by WotC, I had a conversation with someone on the WotC side. They told me that DDB was only successful because of the D&D logo and not the work we had put into it for 5 years. It’s a culture of arrogance."

He also revealed that many of WotC's staff are against the current OGL situation. In reponse to a tweet which suggested that, Searles responded "I know must of them and I can tell you everything in this statement is true."

D&D Beyond co-founder Adam Bradford, who now works for the Demiplane online tools suite, responded "This was starkly evident well before the acquisition. In the early days of the partnership, things went about as well as you could imagine, and something truly special was created as a result of that. Some top level leadership changes later, and it all took an abrupt nosedive."

D&D Beyond was launched in 2017, and was acquired by WotC in 2022 for $146M. Bradford left DDB in February 2021, along with various other staff including lead writer James Haeck, Community Manager Lauren Urban, and Creative Manager and co-founder Todd Kenrick (who now works for WotC).

Last edited:

Scribe

Legend
Not
This is a pair of disgruntled executives, who were involved in a merger, airing their side of the issue. I don't think it should be compared to the decades-long toxic work environment, especially for women, that was revealed at Blizzard. It's not a similar situation and conflating the two seems kind of diminishing of the extent of the problems at Blizzard, and of what happened to many, many victims there.
Not talking about that, but the corporate delusion that they are the end all be all.

Yeah. It's successful for two reasons:

1) It is for D&D
2) It is very good

Both of those things needed to be true for it to be a success. Many things which are for D&D are not a success.
Yeah. I dont use it but my youngling group all adore and spend on it
Boycott that and stop buying stuff on it is a very quick way to protest. I think

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
What about any of this would lead someone to think that WotC execs value anything other than their coffers?
That he said it was a conversation with one person, rather than the initial meeting of the two teams, when the most high-ranking people in the room announced they were a bunch of worthless codemonkeys.

What he recounts is not great, but let's not make it more than one conversation with one person.

This is a pair of disgruntled executives, who were involved in a merger, airing their side of the issue. I don't think it should be compared to the decades-long toxic work environment, especially for women, that was revealed at Blizzard. It's not a similar situation and conflating the two seems kind of diminishing of the extent of the problems at Blizzard, and of what happened to many, many victims there.
I think you make several good points. Departing staff often have feeling or agendas specific to them. Also there is no evidence WoTC has a situation like Blizzard.

Waller

Legend
I think you make several good points. Departing staff often have feeling or agendas specific to them. Also there is no evidence WoTC has a situation like Blizzard.
I dunno. There's been a bunch of stuff over the last few years. Not the same as the Blizzard situation obviously, but definitely a situation. Somebody should compile all this stuff somewhere.

Rhineglade

Adventurer
That is really disappointing to hear. It does seem that some folks at WotC must think their "naughty word don't stink." And even worse in my opinion is all this behind the scenes drama is known by only a few insiders. The consumer is left high and dry. They will continue to gladly accept our money but what type of product do we receive in return.

Clint_L

Hero
Do people regularly make really public statements when leaving? I don't find it odd at all
A member of the maintenance staff was recently let go at my school. He made VERY loud and profane public statements when leaving (e.g. yelling in the parking lot. Of a school. With students present). I don't want to judge that situation based on his public statements.

In this DnDBeyond case, yeah, those statements are kind of unprofessional. They might also be accurate. It's a little unfair to judge because there are no names named, and it is almost impossible for WotC to respond. It may be representative of a more widespread problem, or it may be representative of personal issues. At a personal level, I don't like it when people air their grievances this way.

The situation at Blizzard was totally different, as specific offences, some of them criminal, were being brought to light. That was about malfeasance. This dispute seems to be about attitudes. This is one guy claiming that another unidentified person said something that was representative of more widespread "arrogance." There's a lot of ways to read that.

Vincent55

Adventurer
I suspect or hope, that those who spit from their own company split the player base again and put a death nail in the coffin of the corporate takeover of D&D. I really feel this is the last days of this brand as it gets squeezed for all the money they can then maybe sold off like an old used car they don't want to fix. The company needs someone who loves the game, like those that formed pathfinder and such, but I may be just hoping too much. This is hard to say for me as I have loved this game from the blue and red box sets to the last 5e book I got, but I feel it has since lost its way and has become more about making money and less about the quality of the product. This happens a lot with online games and such with the intro of no subscription and the lock boxes and the hoops they make the player jump through to do things all pay-to-win models and such. With D&D you will end up with, table scraps tossed to us for free, and others locked behind exclusive content on many things like digital-only or rare collectables covers and adventures with small bits of crunch and ther rest left up to the DM to fill in. We the community will be the creative staff, who will have our original creations taken and used to whatever ends they want and we have no say so. Try and complain and bam you are slapped with a court document forbidding you to make or sell anything. No pay, no rights, and no caring for the community only what we can do for them. Yes, this guy was one of the most dedicated D&D fans and DM's but now like a girlfriend who is a mess and keeps taking her back, I am done it's over.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases