WotC Ex D&D Beyond Staffers Criticize Relationship With WotC

Ex D&D Beyond Product Manager Andrew Searls and co-founder Adam Bradford have both publicly denounced a detetoriation in the platform's relationship with Wizards of the Coast. Searles, who left DDB in December tweeted publicly, seemingly in support of the OGC community, following the recent Open Gaming License news, that "IMHO, D&D is successul because of the entire community not just...

Ex D&D Beyond Product Manager Andrew Searls and co-founder Adam Bradford have both publicly denounced a detetoriation in the platform's relationship with Wizards of the Coast.

8eD9GGqRbU5-ucGZeg0xzdbyEW49b5VhU5zn6uwJTkeF9AAvdRohptJ0MkZiREZK=w720-h310-1697045735.jpg

Searles, who left DDB in December tweeted publicly, seemingly in support of the OGC community, following the recent Open Gaming License news, that "IMHO, D&D is successul because of the entire community not just because of those that legally own it."

Speaking of his departure, he said "December 16th of 2022 was my last day at Wizards of the Coast and working on D&D Beyond. This was a change for the better. It is hard to describe the feeling of working your dream job and being crushed by it at the same time. But, it is bittersweet. I will miss the people I have worked with day-in and day-out. Despite what it may seem like at times there are really good people at Wizard of the Coast that are working on D&D and D&D Beyond that love the game and the community. For my next adventure, all I can say now is that I’m more excited than I’ve ever been and I’ve wanted to work with these folks for a LONG time. One thing I know for certain, for the rest of my career, I will use technology to make ALL tabletop roleplaying games easier to play. I love this industry and I love these games."

He later went on to comment on WotC itself -- "Quick story. When DDB was first acquired by WotC, I had a conversation with someone on the WotC side. They told me that DDB was only successful because of the D&D logo and not the work we had put into it for 5 years. It’s a culture of arrogance."

He also revealed that many of WotC's staff are against the current OGL situation. In reponse to a tweet which suggested that, Searles responded "I know must of them and I can tell you everything in this statement is true."

D&D Beyond co-founder Adam Bradford, who now works for the Demiplane online tools suite, responded "This was starkly evident well before the acquisition. In the early days of the partnership, things went about as well as you could imagine, and something truly special was created as a result of that. Some top level leadership changes later, and it all took an abrupt nosedive."

D&D Beyond was launched in 2017, and was acquired by WotC in 2022 for $146M. Bradford left DDB in February 2021, along with various other staff including lead writer James Haeck, Community Manager Lauren Urban, and Creative Manager and co-founder Todd Kenrick (who now works for WotC).

dbolack

Adventurer
Yeah. It's successful for two reasons:

1) It is for D&D
2) It is very good

Both of those things needed to be true for it to be a success. Many things which are for D&D are not a success.

The problem here is that brand owners frequently do not see any type of third-party license as enhancing their brand. They think their brand always does the heavy lifting. D&D made E.T.! D&D made Stranger Things!

They do not seem to understand that many of these things are brand enhancers that lift them up in previously unaccessed/unavailable ways.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
do you mean the 'share holders can sue you for not being enough of a jerk' or do you mean the d20 system or the ogl? in this post the phrase 'harm-inducing set of rules' could be miss interpreted...
the rules I was talking about were the "maximize shareholder value" rules.

the D20 system can't destroy our civilization. Maximizing shareholder value could.

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
True. Although responses here on EN World in all the differing threads about this fiasco have had numerous people state they want and hope for WotC to go under and lose everything because of this... which would ALSO put probably thousands of people out of work on WotC's side that have nothing to do with any of this.
I'm pretty sure those people can easily find jobs in the non-D&D market, especially since those publishers will absolutely need more workers when they receive the massive influx of customers ditching Wizbro and giving their wallets to these other publishers instead.

I'm pretty sure those people can easily find jobs in the non-D&D market, especially since those publishers will absolutely need more workers when they receive the massive influx of customers ditching Wizbro and giving their wallets to these other publishers instead.
Nobody should assume ANYONE will have an easy time finding a job in the best of times.

(I don't know if you are in the US) Here in the US our retirement founds, our health care and sometimes our life insurance are tied to employment... so you change employment to a new job you have to restart all of them. Does the new health insurance require you to go through pre auth again? Does the new health insurance even except your doctor? Does your 401k roll over easy to an IRA or the new job's 401K?

I have a friend that had to switch doctors when she switch jobs (only unemployed for like 2 weeks) and as such had to switch medication stepping down 1 and stepping up another... just to find she is allergic to the new one and had to stop, and got VERY sick for it... the kicker, being sick she lost time from work (and since she was new it was unpaid).

Job switching is NEVER even on the best of times easy.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Heh... this is the kind of response that makes me even more assured of my point that I have to take everything everyone says here on the boards with a grain of salt.

"Culture of Arrogance" / "Culture of Entitlement" indeed. :)

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Either writing for a specific system is a skill or it isn't.
When you suggest people who are good at one thing can do a similar, but different thing quite easily it minimizes the time and effort creators put in to do things well.

Heh... this is the kind of response that makes me even more assured of my point that I have to take everything everyone says here on the boards with a grain of salt.

"Culture of Arrogance" / "Culture of Entitlement" indeed. :)
Your sanctimonious stance neither impresses nor moves anyone. It just makes you as arrogant as everyone else.

Remove ads

Remove ads