D&D 4E Exalted 4e

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Stone Dog said:
A lot of them done on purpose too. Take the character named "Crimson Banner Executioner." He cuts through red tape.

Well, there are Bureaucracy charms for doing exactly that.

I'll echo the sentiments of others here - the power scale is completely different. Experienced Solar Exalted can walk into a city and become its rulers in less than a day - not because they defeat the rulers in combat (though that's a possibility too), but because they convince everyone in the city that they would be the best rulers ever through sheer force of personality and convert everyone in it to become their fanatic followers.

I mean, sure, high-level D&D characters get powerful. But not that powerful, and their abilities get nowhere near as over-the-top.

But I do think that Exalted can serve as a useful inspiration - not for their powers, but for the idea that powerful characters can and should be able to change the world. Too often high-level D&D characters are content to wander around the world or get sent on assorted quests by others. It's far less common that they decide to take charge and change the world as they think is best.

Belphanior

First Post
Jürgen Hubert said:
I mean, sure, high-level D&D characters get powerful. But not that powerful, and their abilities get nowhere near as over-the-top.

Absolutely true.

On the other hand the Exalted and their various Essence-user colleagues can't raise the dead, teleport, snap their fingers and summon an elder demon (instead of a full night ritual during Calibration only), or various other tricks. Likewise, most beings that fall at terminal velocity in Exalted would die. Falling isn't an attack and can't be parried or dodged, despite the running gags. In D&D 20d6 is the most you can get which is often not enough to kill high level characters. A single spell will restore it all and they'll walk on as if nothing happened.

The two just don't compare very easily.

WyzardWhately

First Post
Jürgen Hubert said:
But I do think that Exalted can serve as a useful inspiration - not for their powers, but for the idea that powerful characters can and should be able to change the world. Too often high-level D&D characters are content to wander around the world or get sent on assorted quests by others. It's far less common that they decide to take charge and change the world as they think is best.

This is the sort of thing I'd like to see more of in my campaigns once high levels are reached. So, I'm hoping 4E gives me a toolset suited to that purpose. Like rituals and high-end social combat effects.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads