• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Exalted 4e

Stone Dog

Adventurer
Mourn said:
But the fact that a six-mile-diameter chunk of flaming rock can fall from the heavens faster than the eye can track, and I can lift my rusty butter knife and deflect it perfectly really says something about my combat capabilities. Hell, step it up a notch and make it the sun falling from it's perch in the heavens, and I can still parry it without breaking a sweat (or spending much Essence).
Probably smaller than that. This is Creation after all and a falling star is probably the remnants of a dead spirit falling to the earth leaving a chunk of starmetal where it lands. And the Unconquered Sun falling to earth is a bit more troublesome as well. You wouldn't be avoiding a ball of flaming gas, you would be avoiding the king of the gods.

Hyperbole is all well and good, but these attacks probably cannot be parried. Like the Godspear, you can't knock it aside, you can just dodge to minimum safe distance and watch the mushroom cloud (Or scintillating sphere of blast energy, whatever)

On topic though... I'm liking this more and more.

The Wyld that surrounds Creation can be the Elemental Chaos while the Feywild can lay over Creation, but be more noticable where reality breaks down at the edges. The fae will be a little less nasty than they are in Creation, but that will be alright too.

Shadowlands already exist in Creation where the lands of the dead seem into the lands of the living. Deathknights might not be as powerful as Abyssal Exalts, but they match up in theme quite nicely. We'll just call it the Underworld instead of Shadowfell and be done with it.

I might want to do some switching though and have Malpheas mimic the Abyss where demons are summoned from and seek to unmake reality, while I have the Nine Hells descending down from the Elemental Chaos so that the tempting fiends looking for souls to enslave and devour still come from the borders of the world and not from a completely different plane.

Belphanior

First Post
Anyway, back to the original topic.

On the one hand we have:
* Tornado Strike
* Soul Ruin
* Eldritch Blast
* Careful Strike
* Boon of Souls
* curse of the bloodfang beast (ok that's pretty OTT, assuming it's really in the PHB).

But on the other we have:
* Inexhaustable Bolts of Solar Fire
* Seven Shadow Evasion
* Fivefold Bulwark Stance
* Peony Blossom Attack
* Sometimes Horses Fly Approach
* Touch of Blissful Release
* Training Mandate of War God Puissance

I dunno... they're both certainly more evocative than Silence, 15' radius or Fly. But there's still quite a bit of difference between them IMHO.

The Little Raven

First Post
Stone Dog said:
Hyperbole is all well and good, but these attacks probably cannot be parried.

Actually, HGD can parry any attack, as long as you are aware of it. That's why it says, explicitly, "This Charm is a parry that perfectly defends against any attack, even if it is unblockable."

If the raw damage is 25L or more, a mundane weapon breaks, but the parry still occurs (so you couldn't parry the sun a second time with that rusty butter knife). With a magical weapon, you don't have that problem.

Like the Godspear, you can't knock it aside, you can just dodge to minimum safe distance and watch the mushroom cloud (Or scintillating sphere of blast energy, whatever)

Godspear of the Five-Metal Shrike can be parried by HGD, or dodged by SSE, which is why the Godspear description states "Perfect defenses of any variety completely stop the power of the Godspear."

Stone Dog

Adventurer
Mourn said:
(so you couldn't parry the sun a second time with that rusty butter knife)
Heh. Mixing up the Super Mario RPG thread with this one, in the deep south where the Wyld washes up on the shores of creation, the image of the Sun will occasionally swoop down on the unwary and burn them to cinders. It is not the wrath of the Unconquered Sun and the attack is merely a ball of raw and intense Fire instead of the king of all gods, but it is disconcerting all the same to those who are swift enough to outrun and out dodge the event and deadly for those who cannot avoid it.

Godspear of the Five-Metal Shrike can be parried by HGD, or dodged by SSE, which is why the Godspear description states "Perfect defenses of any variety completely stop the power of the Godspear."
Huh. So it does. Wonder what I was thinking of then.

I'm going to have to strip mine Exalted for D&D locations all the same. Halta is always a blast and I'd love to have a D&D session trying to get inside the floating mountain of the hawk riders. I suppose I don't really need actual Exalts... I just want to indulge in my love of Creation itself, even if I have to twist it around a little to make it go.

Rechan

Adventurer
I would have to start sacrificing things to the All Mighty Mike Mearls if D&D somehow facilitated a way to make Spirits in the Exalted sense - those kami-style gods. That was, bar none, my absolute favorite aspect of Exalted.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Odd how this place has changed. I made comments like this back in Oct/Nov and I was shouted down for not loving every single modification to the game.

For the record. I love Exalted. Its an excellent game. Problem is: I don't want my Exalted and my D&D to mix. IMO, you end up with a product that is neither and is very unappealing. I like my D&D to be D&D.

The Ubbergeek

First Post
dmccoy1693 said:
Odd how this place has changed. I made comments like this back in Oct/Nov and I was shouted down for not loving every single modification to the game.

For the record. I love Exalted. Its an excellent game. Problem is: I don't want my Exalted and my D&D to mix. IMO, you end up with a product that is neither and is very unappealing. I like my D&D to be D&D.

And this won't happens.

For once, the grognards would cry jyhad and issue fatwas.

WyzardWhately

First Post
Is an asteroid falling on you really an "attack?" I think "causes damage" =/= "attack." It might be more of a natural disaster. Fortunately, there are athletics charms that would let you jump out of the way, if you have them. I could be wrong, I'm hardly an expert on Exalted.

Gloombunny

First Post
Yes, a solar can parry an asteroid. But fixating on that is misleading and disingenous. The same Solar who can parry an asteroid can still be taken down by a couple dozen plain-mortal archers.

Stopping a single attack, no matter how powerful, is easy in Exalted. This is a deliberate design decision and a way in which Exalted is fundamentally different from D&D. What you're trying to do is imagine what level a D&D character would have to be to have that kind of ability and then assume that starting Solar characters are as powerful as that D&D character in every other way as well. Don't do that. The games are different, and what's easy in one is difficult in another. Healing people is a lot easier in D&D for instance - not to mention resurrecting the dead, which is basically impossible in Exalted.

Overall, looking at the total packages, a starting Solar is roughly on par with a 10th-level D&D character.

Anyway, I'm totally not seeing the supposed 4e/Exalted parallels.

Remove ads