• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

exalted (BOED) characters behavioral expectations

jollyninja

First Post
what do you as dm's who are allowing exalted feats, prestige classes ect, expect from exalted characters?

i liken them to paladins in expected behavior, not much grey area, it's right or it's wrong, end of story. a character can be good without being that way but not "exalted". if someone is constantly violating your code of ethics, it is not tolerable indefinitely even if they are only slight violations. they should be constantly striving to serve the "greater good" however they see it. i allow player interpretation on what that means exactly and if they can argue successfully justifying something within the limits of goodness, i'll allow it. not like a hackmaster knight errant or anything but i'm not keen on the idea of stripping a feat without good reason. i try to get them to focus on finding alternate methods of goodification of the world then by swordpoint, though if in a war with an orcish horde that will engage in plundering a villiage if not stopped, they do not have to determine each and every orc's allignment before swinging because even if some of the orcs are neutral or even good, to stop the evil acts many of the orcs would commit, you have to stop the army as a whole not just the evil individuals

Last edited:

Turanil

First Post
I second you in this. Now, only one of my players has the appropriate behavior so he could get an exalted prestige class. However, since he never cared for that until now, he doesn't have any of the prerequisites to qualify for one of the exalted prestige classes...

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Jolly, you may want to change the thread title to add a [BoED] label. When I read the title, I thought this was about the White Wolf game Exalted!

I think your expectations of behavior are just about right.

Crothian

First Post
It seems good to me. I take it a little farther and have it depend more on the sponsor or deity the character worships. For instance I havea paladin og Yondalla in my group, so he really needs to be furthering the concepts of her. It give it a good focus and definition.

And I to was thinking of WW's Exalted :D

jollyninja

First Post
k, i changed the logo. sorry, forgot the game existed. i got into a bit of a debate with a player about what it meant to take exalted feats, specifically the vow of poverty and we both frequent the boards so i figured i'd slap up a thread on the subject and see if i was being a bastard in this specific case.

Read the section on being good in the Book of Exalted Deeds. That's a solid start. Being exalted should be a difficult path - esp. given the power level of some of the PrC's and spells.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads