• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Exalted Conversion; d20? Coda? Feng Shui?

Lisa Nadazdy

First Post
I like the d20 rules, but they would be the last system I would use to convert Exalted. Exalted has an elegant system, and the d20 rules are too awkward to do it properly. I'd use something like BESM, or maybe GURPS Lite to keep gameplay fast and elegant.

Apok

First Post
Lisa Nadazdy said:
I like the d20 rules, but they would be the last system I would use to convert Exalted. Exalted has an elegant system, and the d20 rules are too awkward to do it properly. I'd use something like BESM, or maybe GURPS Lite to keep gameplay fast and elegant.

Heh, the more I think about it, the more I think you are right. However, if I was going to convert to something non-d20, it would be either Feng Shui or possibly Coda. I'm not terribly thrilled w/ GURPS as a system and I don't care for Tri-Stat's task resolution mechanic.

On the other hand, I think d20 could still work but it would definitely impact on the feel of the game. d20 is about immediate, tangible gains; you gain a level, you gain more cool powers. Exalted's modified storyteller system (Trinity, is it?) seems much more geared to slower advancement, just as Synicism pointed out.

Perhaps I should rethink this using Coda as a base rules system rather than d20...

Dave Blewer

First Post
I did convert Werewolf the Apocalypse to Feng Shui so I (at least) know that it can be done...

Have a look here

I say go with the system you know the best... Aren't Green Ronin working on a 3e version of Dragonfist? Now that could really do all the hard work for you.

Last edited:

I been trying to Post this for Two Days

I think D20 Exalted give you the opportunity to add a lot of interesting deep game mechanics.

Here's my liist:

1.) Make Essence an adjective bonus and make it stackable like dodge. Charms are then simply means of applying the essence bonus. Essence itself would go up with level like BAB or HP.

2.) Rework the basic attitude of the game so that all actions are a d20 modified by various bonuses, rather than various bonuses modified by a d20 role. Stunts are then easy since you describe the action justify various modifiers to the DM and roll.

3.) Achieving certain DCs essentially lets you achieve magical results. So that rolling 45 check on picking locks, if you have an essence bonus, lets you reach through the chest to retrieve the treasure inside without disturbing the chest itself.

This represents the heroes using the high ambient essense level of the age of sorrows.

4.) Use armor as damage reduction rules.

5.) Give players AC 10 plus shield plus dex plus fighting defensively and then let them spend a point off of their MAB or RAB to roll for a defensive action. Ranged attack would be the exalted equivalent of dodging and melee of parrying. There would have to be some conversion between the roll and the AC bonus you recieved or the penalty you applied to the other guy's roll, but I think this is a good basic idea.

6.) Using the above as an example, let players divide up their MAB or RAB however they want in order to perform additional actions in combat. They can't take an action if they don't have a point left to assign.

Five and six are really brute force and primitive, but perfection is always in revision regardless.

cbatt

First Post
Use FengShui. They're both cinematically over-the-top games and Exalted inherits and refines much of what FengShui innovated.

If you think d20 is the way to go, I would suggest checking out the Mutants and Masterminds flavour, or possibly Silver Age Sentinels d20. Exalted has much more to do with super heroes than "normal" d20 is designed to handle.

In any case, you have an enormous conversion task ahead of you. The charm trees alone... :shudder:

Remove ads