• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Example of Basic D&D Combat

That's one of the problems I have with minions. We infer that because the group is outnumbered, that the majority of the opponents must be minions. But this assumption makes it very difficult if not impossible to communicate in game information without resorting to out of game language.

I agree. The descriptions of minions and the intent of the rules imply that PC's should be able to recognize minions. Even so that doesn't help things IMHO. I would be happy to discuss this further in another thread.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I love how you don't get to do your whole round worth of actions before anyone else moves.
Actually, the rules (or guidelines :) say one side gets all its actions, and then the other side gets all its actions.

So it's not:
Monster move
Party move
Monster range
Party range
Monster spell
Party spell
Monster melee
Party melee

It's:
Monster move
Monster range
Monster spell
Monster melee
Party move
Party range
Party spell
Party melee

By the book.

Yeah, Scribble, I did drop the ball by not noting that. I remember rolling (as DM) all damage for the players in BD&D, and even into AD&D for a year or two.

Bullgrit

Scribble

First Post
Yeah, Scribble, I did drop the ball by not noting that. I remember rolling (as DM) all damage for the players in BD&D, and even into AD&D for a year or two.

Bullgrit

I can understand though how it keeps a sense of mystery going.... But that just seems like way to much work for me the DM. :p

2. Both weapons deal 1d6 damage. Back then ALL weapons did 1d6 damamge right? I know this was the case in the first set of D&D rules I owned, but there was an optional different weapons do different damage dice rule.
It was optional in classic D&D (i.e. B/X and BECM). The original D&D little brown books used d6 for everything, and variable weapon damage was added as an optional rule in Supplement I (which also added different damage vs. small/medium or large creatures, space required rules, and weapon vs. AC modifiers).

My OD&D game uses d6 damage for weapons (and d6 for all hit dice). I talk about why in my musing on damage and hit points, and also touch on the issue of the "numbers scale" in my ability scores and bonuses musing.

Last edited:

1. The DM rolls the damage players do with their weapons? :) I forgot about this and don't remember when this changed.
Hah! Check this one out (from original D&D's Men & Magic, emphasis added):
Men & Magic said:
DETERMINATION OF ABILITIES:

Prior to the character selection by players it is necessary for the referee to roll three six-sided dice in order to rate each as to various abilities, and thus aid them in selecting a role. Categories of ability are: Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, Constitution, Dexterity, and Charisma. Each player notes his appropriate scores, obtains a similar roll of three dice to determine the number of Gold Pieces (Dice score x 10) he starts with, and then opts for a role.

(I don't do that...the players roll their own PCs)

RFisher

Explorer
This is one of the most annoying things that people say in a discussion of D&D -- it's an excuse, a cop-out.

In an edition we don't like, a wonky rule is "stupid and an example of why that edition is bad."

In an edition we do like, a wonky rule is "meh, they're only guidelines that you can ignore or change."

Why can't we just acknowledge a rule is wonky, "but here's how we work around it." Or explain why a rule is not wonky. Let's not always fall back on the "they're only guidelines" thing.

I don’t say they are guidelines as an excuse. I say they are guidelines because this very book taught me that. It is how the people who wrote and developed and edited the book wanted me to treat them.

I try very hard not to consider any rule stupid, because to get into print in an edition of D&D many people had to think it had merit. I do my best to understand why they thought so.

When I play any edition, I treat the rules as guidelines and happily modify them to taste.

My favorite edition is my favorite merely because I have to modify it less to get to where I want to be.

I acknowledge rules that I think are wonky in my favorite edition. (Two-handed weapons automatically losing initiative is wonky.) I don’t mention them being guidelines in order to avoid explaining why. I’ll happily try to explain why. (From what I’ve learned, I’ve come to believe that weapon length is more often an advantage than a disadvantage.)

I didn’t bring the subject up in order to excuse a wonky rule. I merely pointed out that for me, this element of the example that isn’t backed up by a rule is—for me—a reinforcement of what is written on page B3.

Voadam

Legend
2. Both weapons deal 1d6 damage. Back then ALL weapons did 1d6 damamge right? I know this was the case in the first set of D&D rules I owned, but there was an optional different weapons do different damage dice rule.

Nope this is the Moldvay basic set. IIRC weapons did either d4, d6, d8, or d10. Two handed swords and pole-arms did d10, daggers did d4, and lots of things did d6 (arrows for sure, not positive on hand axes though I think battle axes and longswords did 1d8).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads