D&D 5E Examples of creatures (or objects) added thru re-skinning in official or semi-official material in 5e

Sometimes, when a creature does not have its own stat block, WOTC will use a different stat block to represent the creature, possibly with modifications. For instance, the MM doesn't have stats for a jaguar, a buffalo, or a falcon, but the sidebar on pg. 317 says that you can use the panther, giant goat, and hawk stats respectively to represent them. Likewise, in Tomb of Annihilation, it says to use riding horse stats to represent a zebra, and (while we're on that book) to use a rowboat to represent a canoe (50 GP, holds 6 Medium creatures, 2 MPH). The Planeshift articles suggested using Giant Croc stats to represent a Spinosaurus, while a Hippopotamus uses Elephant stats with its gore attack replaced with a bite, swim speed of 30 feet, and hold breath for 30 minutes. (Does this seem right to you? I always thought a Hippo was about the same size as a Rhino, which is Large unlike the Elephant which is Huge.)

Anyway, does anybody know any others I missed? (I'm not counting variants mentioned on the same page as a stat block, such as using Polar Bear stats with mods to make a Cave Bear), mainly stuff people might not know about or missed that could save them some work.

A hippo is certainly heavier than a rhino, and considerably more dangerous than either a rhino or an elephant. They also move a lot faster on land than you might expect. It's really a critter that needs it's own stat block, and a suitably high CR.

A hippo is certainly heavier than a rhino, and considerably more dangerous than either a rhino or an elephant. They also move a lot faster on land than you might expect. It's really a critter that needs it's own stat block, and a suitably high CR.
So you think the size difference is reasonable? O.K. cool, good to know. I know that hippos are very dangerous - people always think of crocs, but ignoring the danger posed by hippos is a death wish. Just because it won't eat you, doesn't mean it won't aggressively try to kill you.

Remove ads