Excellent Anime Worth Watching?

Desert Hare

Banned
Banned
Okay, since Relique Du Madde's description of Naruto leaves me uninterested it and actually having an interest in watching only excellent anime, I have to wonder; which anime series actually gets 4 to 5 out of 5 stars?

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Well some of my favourite animes are and I'll divide between Movies and Series/Mini-Series/OVA:

Movies:
Ghost in The Shell
AKIRA
Grave of The Fireflies
Millennium Actress
Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Perfect Blue
Tokyo Godfathers

Series/Mini-Series/OVA:
Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayel
Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Azumanga Diaoh
Spice and Wolf
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop
Planetes

There is more but that is a good list to start off with. It is a mix of drama, sci-fi, fantasy, comedy, horror, etc. I dunno how many have gotten actually 4-5 stars in various ratings but I consider these quite good.

This is just my personal opinion but stay away from anime series that go on for 100's of episodes. They I find are generally lacking in quality.

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Would add Full Metal Alchemist to the list of great series and Mindgame as well as Nausicaa (personal fave) to the list of movies.

I would say as far as series go you can't go wrong with Bleach, and i'd say the best movie ever is Ninja Scroll. The two Vampire hunter D movies are good as well.

Anime is like "action movie" There are so many different types and styles. I have tried Anime many times and find some stuff people love I don't and visa-versa. It is about taste.

What do you like in a movie?

Akira I liked but the movie didn't do the book justice. Ghost in a shell was good. Ninja Scroll didn't click with me.

I like Lupin III but I appear to the only one.

Depends on style.

Desert Hare

Banned
Banned
What are your interests?
Non-stop action, hard core sci-fi/soft fantasy, romance/love interest and lots of drama.

Are there things you dislike in anime?
I honestly don't know. I've only seen an episode or two of Witch Hunter Robin and bits and pieces of a subtitled Howl's Moving Castle.

I guess one thing I can pinpoint that I don't like is having to watch something that has to be subtitled because the voice actors are speaking in a language other than English. I do like subtitles and captions as an aid to scenes in which the voice actors have to keep their voices low or are whispering.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Non-stop action, hard core sci-fi/soft fantasy, romance/love interest and lots of drama.
Hmm, certainly Akira and the two Vampire Hunter D movies fit these, though Akira is light in the romance ;). Akira was digitally cleaned, retranslated and rereleased I think in 1999, I'd look for that version if you are interested.
I honestly don't know.
I can understand this, I didn't know what I didn't like until after I watched a ton.

Things I don't like include:
–Face icons (I can deal with them in moderation, barely);
–Fly-off-the-handle boys characters that want to prove themselves (especially when it is the main character);
–Delicate flower girl characters who mope and pine episode after episode (especially when they are moping about and pining for the main boy character).

These things seriously cut out a significant swath of popular anime for me. :)

Remove ads