• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Excerpt, Manual of the Planes: Types of Planes

questing gm

First Post
The problem with the Unstable PLane skill thingie: it doesn't specify what skill to use. If it's literally "Any skill applies", then I'll just use Acrobatics to moon-walk the land apart. (Honestly, the idea of using Bluff/Diplomacy/Intimidate/Thievery to alter the terrain would generate some really interesting, and epic, explanations. I can see a thief creating a portal by "Pickpocketing" the dimension).

I don't think it requires any skill check. It's just an Int ability check. ;)

Fallen Seraph

First Post
What I found interesting was the statement that you could travel REALLY FAR through the Astral Sea and reach the Astral Dominions of the deities of OTHER WORLDS.
Hmm... Instead of Planescape being the setting that unites different settings, perhaps Spelljammer or in this case Astraljammers will be that setting.

Rechan

Adventurer
I think that IS the skill.

iirc that is the way skill names are written. The noted ritual probably bestows 'training' in the skill, otherwise Int + 1/2HD.
Huh. When it said "Someone with a powerful will", I would have expected it to be charisma or wisdom based.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Four immediate reactions:

1) There's nothing really new here that wasn't already present in earlier versions of the planes. This is all pretty generic stuff.

2) Sigil as a Demiplane isn't a bad way to go, assuming we judge that by their use of what a demiplane is. I still think it would have been best to have it as an Anomolous Plane, just to hype its utter mystery as to what the hell the place actually is, but it works.

3) Color me confused. There's a Pluton and a Carceri as Astral Realms, but yugoloths couldn't remain a distinct group of fiends on their own? They had to be warped and forcefit into being either devils or demons? Cute.

4) I will give the artist their due credit on the artwork for the planar map, because it's really nice. Not a fan of the 4e cosmology, but that artwork is spiffy.

More tough love (or abuse) once the book itself is out and I read it in the store.

Last edited:

Hmm... Instead of Planescape being the setting that unites different settings, perhaps Spelljammer or in this case Astraljammers will be that setting.

I was looking forward to this all month now hopeing for the word Astraljammer...:(but nothing...:.-(So far it is a great idea, but we have nothing concrete from WotC to say it is even there...

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
And considering that the Planes are more Fantastic than the World, then they should have some wild stuff. Forests made of crystal, mountains made of flesh and bone, an iron honeycombed island amid a vertical maelstrom of water, crafted by the Storm Titan and his Lightning Archon armada.

I want places that grab me by my creative gland, shake me like leg bitten by a chihuahua, and say "I DARE YOU to bring your PCs here!"

Darn right.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads